Luke ROTJ 'Hero' lightsaber. So confused by the MOM version vs. on screen.

Malaki Skywalker

Howdy folks.

Got a bit of a pickle here.

I'm currently designing what I wish to be the most accurate Luke Hero hilt ever, but I'm rather confused by what I see on-screen, vs. what has been seen in person (the MOM version).

It appears somewhere along the line, the MOM (assuming the main body was actually on-screen) is or was repaired with some ABS and copper sheet. As it doesn't corroborate with what we see here:

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 11.30.11.png

Notice how the card holder is brass, with no overhung edges? Then we have this, which looks like a poor revision/repair job:

LukeROTJHeroControlbox.jpg~original.jpeg

So my (dumb) question is, should I not hesitate and go with what I see on-screen? Are we to consider the MOM card holder accurate, due to this glaring difference?

Any expertise or advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi Malaki,

"Accurate" is an interesting concept when it comes to Star Wars props as several versions of that lightsaber have been seen, sometimes in only one shot, and they all differ slightly! However the best source of answers for you is a free eBook that SethS here on the RPF has compiled. It's an invaluable and exhaustive guide to the lightsabers as they appear in all the films and all their variations. The thread is at https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=271961 and there's a downloadable PDF linked there. I definitely recommend that you go and have a look, specifically page 40 onwards...

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
The prevailing theory is that when they shot the vader scene the saber just had brass L stock holding the card in place. But when they needed to show the control box opening and closing, they added the plastic strip raisers to make the board slide back and forth more easily

And if you are going for the on-screen look, then it shouldn't have the arrows or the plate or the screws.

Ah, they're definetly on there, including the black 'trigger' in the scene.

- - - Updated - - -

The prevailing theory is that when they shot the vader scene the saber just had brass L stock holding the card in place. But when they needed to show the control box opening and closing, they added the plastic strip raisers to make the board slide back and forth more easily

Indeed, judging by the edges. Whatever ever it is, it's sitting super flush.

Thanks for the information so far, guys.

It's one of those props where the more you look at it, the more detail you notice. Here's the progress so far:

H4.png

It's just a case of finalise and refine the box, overlay a mesh model over a correctly scaled photo, and make any adjustments.

There are a few threads on this in the Star Wars section - I know I brought up the question at least once a while back.

you can see little shadows around the edges on screen, suggesting that its very thin brass right angle stock

As for the one on display - looks like its either tarnished or repainted copper.. or both.

Anakin Starkiller is right - the grey rails were added for that cut scene where luke opens the lightsaber box

Ah, they're definetly on there, including the black 'trigger' in the scene.

While the two black buttons are there, the ISYHCANL version lacks all the other details. The control box was machined and a plate was installed with some little screws to hold the LED arrows. The was done for the deleted cave build scene. So those would not be on the movie version.

While the two black buttons are there, the ISYHCANL version lacks all the other details. The control box was machined and a plate was installed with some little screws to hold the LED arrows. The was done for the deleted cave build scene. So those would not be on the movie version.

I was under the impression this was just a theory and not confirmed.

Not confirmed, since that side is never seen in the ISYHCANL shot... BUT you have to consider that there wouldn't have been a need for those particular details at that time, since the box was simply a rudimentary stand-in for the features of a Graflex clamp.

Not confirmed, since that side is never seen in the ISYHCANL shot... BUT you have to consider that there wouldn't have been a need for those particular details at that time, since the box was simply a rudimentary stand-in for the features of a Graflex clamp.

Oh, I agree. I don't think they were there either. Just wasn't sure if I missed something confirming they weren't.

While we're on the subject of what's there and what isn't...what does everyone think about the bevels along the bottom of the control box on either side? Do we think they were on the ISYHCANL or added for the mods for the cave scene. Seems like a weird thing to add, but....

Last edited:
Oh, I agree. I don't think they were there either. Just wasn't sure if I missed something confirming they weren't.

While we're on the subject of what's there and what isn't...what does everyone think about the bevels along the bottom of the control box on either side? Do we think they were on the ISYHCANL or added for the mods for the cave scene. Seems like a weird thing to add, but....

It looks like the bevel is there to me, I think watching the scene instead of looking at the screenshot makes it a little more obvious. Even in the screenshot posted though, you can see a hint of it on the corner closer to the neck.

It looks like to me that the lightsaber is photoshopped onto Luke as it isn't attached to his belt hook and the pommel angle is wrong to how it should be

dammit I think you're right, I wonder if the control box was massacred in the editing or is actually a new picture.... definitely looks resin compared to the saber

promo.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There was no photoshop back then, it would have been a cut and paste mask job, but it would explain the odd angle. Either way though, I am curious which prop it is.

And isn't the MoM version actually just a resin duplicate?

I would think the cavebuild prop would be the best one to build off of... it's the only one that has all the features we know for the Hero.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that that cavebuild and ISYHCANL props share the same hilt body, but the control boxes were switched out between the scenes.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back