Who makes the best " accurate" cockpit cone?

My vote is 308bits cone on shapeways. I have it and it looks fantastic. Its also decently priced and has details on the inner window frames like the full size set.

The ONLY one I could find that was close to accurate was Conway's 4.1 version https://www.shapeways.com/product/K...mail&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=2
I purchases the cheaper "white processed versatile" plastic and primed it with tamiya grey spray, brush painted a couple of coats of mr surfacer 500, 360 sanded, surfacer 500, 360 sanded, two brushed coats of tamiya acrylic, sanded and matches the deago parts nicely. Excellent fit.

All others the window frames do not line up properly (the front radial window frames should not line up with the tapered cone window frames). I nearly purchased the 308 bits cockpit but shape issues stopped me: the cone windows go right up to the front ring (too far, makes the windows look too long and shows a heavy stepped window frame when viewed from the front, the radial window frame lines up with the cone window frame, bottom cone window looks too rectangular to my eye.)

Hello - I'm new to using Shapeways 3D printed components. Cadium's post talked about getting the "White Processed versatile" plastic (which I believe is a nylon) and painting it with Tamiya grey spray, followed by Mr. Surfacer. I would have thought the Tamiya spray (a lacquer I believe?) and the Mr Surfacer (also a lacquer?) would be too strong or "hot" for this type of plastic. I am guessing that everything has turned out ok since Cadium's June post?

The ONLY one I could find that was close to accurate was Conway's 4.1 version Falcon DeAgo Cone v4.1 by ralph_conway on Shapeways
I purchases the cheaper "white processed versatile" plastic and primed it with tamiya grey spray, brush painted a couple of coats of mr surfacer 500, 360 sanded, surfacer 500, 360 sanded, two brushed coats of tamiya acrylic, sanded and matches the deago parts nicely. Excellent fit.

All others the window frames do not line up properly (the front radial window frames should not line up with the tapered cone window frames). I nearly purchased the 308 bits cockpit but shape issues stopped me: the cone windows go right up to the front ring (too far, makes the windows look too long and shows a heavy stepped window frame when viewed from the front, the radial window frame lines up with the cone window frame, bottom cone window looks too rectangular to my eye.)

I second that. I ordered the Ultrafine Plastic and its fantastic. I tried modifying the original parts. But I'm having hard time bonding styrene and ABS on a small thin contact. So I gave up.

Cone.jpg

IMG_1503.JPG
Hello - I'm new to using Shapeways 3D printed components. Cadium's post talked about getting the "White Processed versatile" plastic (which I believe is a nylon) and painting it with Tamiya grey spray, followed by Mr. Surfacer. I would have thought the Tamiya spray (a lacquer I believe?) and the Mr Surfacer (also a lacquer?) would be too strong or "hot" for this type of plastic. I am guessing that everything has turned out ok since Cadium's June post?

The plastic was just fine with the primers, surfacer and paint. I'm very happy with the part.

150$ for one single piece? Dude, that is really expensive...
Well, in all fairness, this was just before a drastic price hike Shapeways pushed out as it doubled the price and in some instances it nearly tripled prices, especially for larger items.

Since this posting, I found a free 3D file on thingiverse of the old MPC falcon cone so I enlarged it to fit the Deagostini falcon (trial and error) and it is the 5 footer stubby cone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back