3D Printing models and parts...

whb64

I figured it might be of interest to some people to start a thread on this as well as those out there that have experience with 3D printing can comment and offer up tips and advice.

I pulled the trigger and bought an Anycubic Photon SLA DLP 3D resin printer. I have been wanting a 3D printer for a long time now but was on the fence about the FDM printers and using PLA. I have seen some incredible prints that people have done, but also have had some bad experiences with stuff from Shapeways and other people. The main issue I had was very visible layer lines. They just looked bad and didn't have a 'finished look', at least nothing that would look good for a build. I have watched videos where people use different solutions to basically melt the PLA and smooth the layers out, but then you lose fine detail. The other option is to fill and sand, which is a lot of work. Again I will say I have seen some incredible prints (online not in person) so I am not trashing FDM printers.

Like everything there is a trade off. The FDM printers have more moving parts and take a lot of tweaking and bed leveling and then even after all that I've seen people say it prints fine and then boom... the print quality goes south and then back to tweaking again. SLA printers require some work after the print is done, but nothing major, just a quick rinse in alcohol and a water rinse.

The trade offs:
FDM printers can print very large parts, but have less detail and (in my opinion from all the videos and research I've done) require a lot more mechanical tweaking and replacement parts. You have to deal with bed leveling with both, but the SLA printers literally take 30 seconds to level the build platform where as some people have spent days if not weeks getting their FDM bed level enough to print. Filament is cheaper than resin, but the cost of resin is slowly coming down.

SLA printers tend to be small, as in print builds that are around 5x7 in size but it makes up for it in the detail. Most SLA resin printers can print with detail and layers as fine as a human hair. In this area there are simply things that an FDM printer can't print, but... the SLA printer can't do massive prints like an FDM printer that are up to 20"x20"x20" depending on the model. As mentioned though the level of detail the SLA printers can do could for many out weigh the shear size of an FDM printer build. Also FDM printers users have had some nightmare stories about being 100 hours into a print and then everything goes wonky and the print is ruined. I haven't seen many complaints in that area with the SLA printers. The main print failure that I have seen happen is mainly due to people not having proper supports for their SLA build.

For the most part both types of printers can handle .stl files. Like everything, there are some companies that use proprietary software, but for most you can use the very large library of .stl files already out there.

Eventually I plan on building a large print format SLA printer, but that won't be for awhile. First I have to learn all the ins and outs on the smaller machine I bought and then I can start to think about a custom build.

I'm debating on whether to get a Creality FDM printer later on to make big parts and then use the SLA printer for detailed parts and panels, but I am not sure. I truly believe that SLA printers are eventually going to replace the FDM printers just like inkjet printers replaced dot matrix printers. I also think that's a good analogy between the two formats.

I should have my printer by Monday. I bought the Anycubic Photon SLA DLP UV printer. It was right around $500 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. I tallied up parts I wanted from Shapeways and other parts kits and just for the PG Falcon I had as much or more than the cost of the printer. So right there (to me at least) the printer will have paid for itself. I also see no reason why some PE items can't be replaced with SLA prints. The PE is of course metal and less prone to breaking, but it's also something that the price can add up real fast.

I'll start documenting my journey and what I learn as I go, and if anyone out there is an expert on 3D printing your input would be greatly appreciated. One topic I really need to learn is 3D scanning objects and formatting them as print ready files. Any help on that area would be awesome!

So let's have some fun and start printing custom stuff! I know one of the first things I will be printing will be a 1/72 scale Buck Rogers Starfighter!

Will be interested to hear how you get on... I'm trying reeeeeealy hard not to buy a Photon at the moment :)

I bought a Flashforge Finder FDM a year ago - I knew it wasn't going to be good for model parts but what has surprised me beyond all expectation is how got it's been for making "knick-nacks" - all sorts of brackets, and attachments and stuff that supplement my model building - such as internal parts for holding LEDs in the right place, or brackets to hold PCBs etc.

For that sort of job, FDM will probably remain king considering speed, price, strength etc. But I really want a resin printer for actual detail parts now :)

I can get glass smooth prints using ABS with acetone vapor smoothing after some light sanding, but I too want a DLP printer. I also make jewelery and want to make my masters this way and then reproduce them. Be sure to have a room with lots of ventalation or an airtite booth to set the machine in as I hear the resin is toxic and stinks big time.
I want one of these!
https://massivit3d.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_OHqaTs2gIVjoJpCh1LaQjZEAAYAiAAEgILUvD_BwE

I'm totally new to 3D printing. In a way that's a good thing because I won't be used to the FDM ways and then learning SLA. From the research I have been doing for awhile now it does seem that as far as files and the software, most of that is pretty much the same. It looks like a few differences for resin prints are making the object hollow and including drain holes.

What do you use for editing your .stl files? Maybe it will be easier to tell you what I want to do and you can then help guide me on how to do it...

This is one of the first files I want to print after I do the setup and test prints-

9ce782277846c66d0570f1bd951f9bcf_preview_featured.jpg

I don't have the printer yet, but I did pull the .stl into 3D Builder to look at it. The image above is from the .stl download. Based on the file, it looks like the dimensions are 1/32 scale or pretty close. The first thing I will be doing is to rescale it to 1/72 so it can go along side my other 1/72 builds. It will also fit nicely in the build area and build plate at 1/72 scale.

Now for what I would like to do and need help because I don't know how to do this part (yet :) ). I want to remove the canopy area from the object and print that separately with the windows removed so I can put clear windows in. I also want to hollow out the area under the canopy so I can insert a cockpit and then glow the canopy back on. Any suggestions on what software that can do that and is easy to learn/use? I'd also probably want to remove the engine exhausts so they can be hollowed out for lights or printed in clear for lights. Basically a few mods but nothing I would think should be that difficult, I just don't know how to do it yet because I have never done this before.

I can get glass smooth prints using ABS with acetone vapor smoothing after some light sanding, but I too want a DLP printer. I also make jewelery and want to make my masters this way and then reproduce them. Be sure to have a room with lots of ventalation or an airtite booth to set the machine in as I hear the resin is toxic and stinks big time.
I want one of these!
https://massivit3d.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_OHqaTs2gIVjoJpCh1LaQjZEAAYAiAAEgILUvD_BwE
Yeah ventilation is a must. The Anycubic does have an internal charcoal filter filtration system, but I don't know yet how effective that is.

I did read about the acetone method for getting smooth FDM prints and I can still see an FDM printer in my future for larger parts and panels but there are some things detail wise that an FDM just can't do. I think between the two a person could make some interesting things... FDM for the big pieces and then SLA for details.

What a coincidence, I just order a Photon as well. Should be getting it tomorrow sometime! I, like you, was torn between getting a larger FDM printer and a smaller resin printer. I know the cost and upkeep on these resin printers I hear can get high but it's pretty hard to argue with the print qualities I've been seeing. I wanted a larger print size, but can't see going up in to the $1200+ market yet before even having any experience printing my own parts. I've done many parts through Shapeways but I'm sure the modeling process is going to have to take some tweaking. I'm currently looking for the cheapest but still good quality resin. $50 for 500ml is going to kill me before long. Keep us posted on your findings and I'll try to do the same. Hopefully we can compare notes and help each other out.

Bill

Hey Bill... another coincidence... I too am Bill! Now if you tell me you have a 5ft tall blonde wife that tends to be annoying then something really strange is going on! ;)

I found a ton of great files on Thinyverse, Yeggi, and my new favorite- Free3D. Free3D doesn't have as many files as the other two, but it has some really cool stuff

Hey Bill... another coincidence... I too am Bill! Now if you tell me you have a 5ft tall blonde wife that tends to be annoying then something really strange is going on! ;)

Close but not quite.....she's 5'6" and brunette. I'll just leave it at that.:D

I've been looking at the Form 2 myself.

But I do have a question. I'm starting to learn how to 3D model to make the things I want, but besides Thingiverse, where can I find good archives of 3D models for print? I don't mind paying for files, and the first thing I thought of was looking for a good Resistance bomber.
I like the idea of being able to work on my own project, but also be able to print things to paint and animate in-between projects of my own.

I think I'll do what I did when I was a moderator over at a Home Theater forum and did a lot of tutorial threads- I'll update the first post with links and pertinent information.

I'm learning right now too :)
Yeggi has some good files, as does Free3D.

I really loved doing kit bashing when I was a kid and I think this is going to allow me to do a lot of that. I would love to do a version of the Star Wars ARC that is a hybrid of the ARC-170 and an A-10 Warthog! Definitely a one-off but I think it would work out nicely.

I bought myself a printer last year, and it worked perfectly, right out of the box. Printing is not the problem. The 3D models are the choke point. Unless you can draw what you want in a 3D program, you must rely on the free stuff you find on the web, or pay someone $75/hr to draw it for you. The models that you get for free are worth exactly what you paid for them. You will get tired of printing key chains and Yoda Heads.

So, if there are some modelers posting to this thread, add what program you are using, and maybe the learning curve review of said program would be helpful to all the 3D wannaprints.

I bought myself a printer last year, and it worked perfectly, right out of the box. Printing is not the problem. The 3D models are the choke point. Unless you can draw what you want in a 3D program, you must rely on the free stuff you find on the web, or pay someone $75/hr to draw it for you. The models that you get for free are worth exactly what you paid for them. You will get tired of printing key chains and Yoda Heads.

So, if there are some modelers posting to this thread, add what program you are using, and maybe the learning curve review of said program would be helpful to all the 3D wannaprints.
I do plan on trying some of the free files, but I am more interested in scanning and printing my own stuff.

My team made a FDM 3D printer for professional users.

Some samples:
https://imgur.com/gallery/ER23M
https://imgur.com/gallery/J410ZMK

But the main use is not for making models but for making prototype parts. So the building volume must be large enough otherwise we will lose a lot of customers.

Another demands from profession users is that the printer should be very solid and robust, and can work great in years. So recently desktop SLA printers like Form2 are still not able to do such a heavy duty job.

$75/h? Next time let me know if you need something. LOL.

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

The UV curing station showed up today. I'm still rearranging my office/shop so I can set the printer up when it comes Monday.

Well I have over 200 .stl/obj files!

The first I REALLY want to print is the Buck Rogers Starfighter. I have a couple versions, one is really nice looking and has the front landing gear. As an added bonus, when I was playing around with the file in MeshMixer to remove the canopy 'glass', I found something cool. First why remove the 'glass'? Well it's not glass and most people print and paint the glass black since it's opaque anyway. I decided to remove it and have it open like the Bandai canopies. When I used the tool to remove this area I found a full cockpit inside!

The problem is I don't know if this is a printable file. Is there anyone on here with 3D printer experience that can check the .obj file and tell me if it is a printable file?

I'm going to be printing a lot of things in the coming weeks... A LOT!.

First will be the Starfighter, then probably the BSG Blaster parts so I can show the difference between the resin prints and the FDM prints I ordered. After that... well after the Baby Groot for my wife, any requests? If I have the file I'll print it, if not I'll try to find the file or if you have it send it.

One thing to mention about these printers (yeah I know I don't even have it yet- but I like to do my homework), is there are some parts that are considered 'consumables', such as the LCD panel. That may sound scary, but keep in mind FDM printers routinely need the nozzles and even the hot end replaced after a lot of hard use. Stepper motors also go bad and at least with an SLA printer you only have one motor to deal with. I've read about people having some issues with the power supply or UV lights with the Photon, but those were also the first version of the printer and it sounds like that's not much of an issue anymore.

The resin is toxic... let me say this again... ALWAYS make sure you adhere to ALL safety precautions like protective gloves and safety glasses. I am also prepared to have a clean and empty bottle for any left over resin. I've seen others reuse leftover resin but you do not want to put it back in the main bottle in case you contaminate the fresh resin.

I'll report on the smell and how well the charcoal air filtration system works. Once I move to 'the castle' and have a dedicated room for my builds I will make an air filtration and exhaust system and have it tied into the exhaust for my spray booth. There are resins out there with low odor and I will try to report on those too as I get them and test them.

I also found a spreadsheet of what resins work best and what exposure settings to use. Right now I am doing a crash course on the various software packages that are out there.

If you think about it, five or so years ago 3D printers were starting to be talked about but not yet mainstream, and they still aren't but they have come a long way. FDM is the defacto standard right now, but SLA and eventually powder based systems will ultimately replace FDM, yes even for large builds. I'm pretty good at predicting tech directions and high resolution SLA printers are the next generation of things. Eventually it will get to the price point and ease of use that it will be common place just like our all in one ink jet printer/scanner/copiers we all have. I'd say we're at least 5 years out from that but trust me it is coming.

The biggest thing I see right now is 'glass'. The clear resin seems to be good for making translucent parts for lighting like engines, but not clear enough to be a canopy. If anyone knows different please share your knowledge :)

I'm geeking out here... we truly are looking at a first generation Star Trek replicator! It can't do food or electronics, but the high end printers can print full assemblies with working gears and internals. I will still be buying model kits, but this will allow me to make things that aren't out there (like a BSG Landram ;) ) as well as upgrade parts and greeblies. I really think five years from now SLA printers will totally change the things we can build :)

Ross... I will be printing a gantry. I'll send you one if you want to do a review and compare it to the Shapeways one you got.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back