Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber

The danger is actually hidden here at therpf. We are all guilty of making a prop a close as possible to film accurate. Some day, one of our props will end up in the wrong hands, and be listed as a real movie prop.

The danger is actually hidden here at therpf. We are all guilty of making a prop a close as possible to film accurate. Some day, one of our props will end up in the wrong hands, and be listed as a real movie prop.

I would actually disagree with this. If it wasn't for this community, replicas would much more easily be passed off as fakes because there wouldn't be as large of a group that know all the specific details of the original.

The problem in my eyes is that big auction houses don't take advantage of our knowledge when it runs counter to the economic incentive behind passing off a fake as an original.

The more information is kept in the hands of the few, the more unscrupulous individuals can deceive the masses. The more transparency there is in making all the info publicly available, the more intelligent people can protect themselves by becoming informed.

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow.

And to think, many times the estimated winning bid is woefully under what is realized at auction.

I would actually disagree with this. If it wasn't for this community, replicas would much more easily be passed off as fakes because there wouldn't be as large of a group that know all the specific details of the original.

The problem in my eyes is that big auction houses don't take advantage of our knowledge when it runs counter to the economic incentive behind passing off a fake as an original.

The more information is kept in the hands of the few, the more unscrupulous individuals can deceive the masses. The more transparency there is in making all the info publicly available, the more intelligent people can protect themselves by becoming informed.
I agree with what you say, however, this is exactly what I mean. We know what is used in real props. If someone makes all their props from real parts, that will be a hard to spot fake. We would also know if the real one is owned or not. Great props end up in the junkyard all the time. Members aren't screened here, only banned if they do something wrong. Yes, the members here can spot or disprove, but only if they know about the pending sale. By the time the auctio is over, it can be too late.

Wow, that thing brings back some memories. Replica of a modern hand wheel, allen screws instead of transistors... This was as good as it got back in the day.

If we only had the ability to reach out to hundreds of thousands of people and tell them to share this fake lightsaber news... man

Too bad we don’t have some kind of technology or device that could connect every single person around the world to each other..

Damn... if only

;)

Throw this crap all over social media, and blast these bastards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All they had to do is open the Chronicles book and they would see that this wasn't legit. Do they just take people's word (or COA) that what they have is the real deal? What kind of auction house doesn't do any research?

They just informed me that the piece has been pulled. The problem is that with most film props they generally authenticate pieces by looking at province and then comparing it with any original photos. Most of the time this leaves them saying "we have province" and "it looks like it does in these photos"

But with something like Star Wars, there's an entire fan community dedicating to make pieces that look just like the original, so the same strategies don't work.

Can someone post a copy of the auction catalog with the light saber in it? They've already updated the catalog on the website to remove it...

Profiles Hez compare.jpg

Here's a side by side shot showing a Hez saber against the one that was going to auction.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back