Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 4:59 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #26

The danger is actually hidden here at therpf. We are all guilty of making a prop a close as possible to film accurate. Some day, one of our props will end up in the wrong hands, and be listed as a real movie prop.
  2. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 5:17 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #27

kevin926 said: View Post
    The danger is actually hidden here at therpf. We are all guilty of making a prop a close as possible to film accurate. Some day, one of our props will end up in the wrong hands, and be listed as a real movie prop.
    I would actually disagree with this. If it wasn't for this community, replicas would much more easily be passed off as fakes because there wouldn't be as large of a group that know all the specific details of the original.

The problem in my eyes is that big auction houses don't take advantage of our knowledge when it runs counter to the economic incentive behind passing off a fake as an original.

The more information is kept in the hands of the few, the more unscrupulous individuals can deceive the masses. The more transparency there is in making all the info publicly available, the more intelligent people can protect themselves by becoming informed.
    Last edited by Anakin Starkiller; 2 Weeks Ago at 5:45 PM.
    From
    Florida
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 6:14 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #28

Wow. Just wow.

And to think, many times the estimated winning bid is woefully under what is realized at auction.
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 6:41 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #29

Another fraud, another sucker...shameful
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 6:44 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #30

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    I would actually disagree with this. If it wasn't for this community, replicas would much more easily be passed off as fakes because there wouldn't be as large of a group that know all the specific details of the original.

The problem in my eyes is that big auction houses don't take advantage of our knowledge when it runs counter to the economic incentive behind passing off a fake as an original.

The more information is kept in the hands of the few, the more unscrupulous individuals can deceive the masses. The more transparency there is in making all the info publicly available, the more intelligent people can protect themselves by becoming informed.
    I agree with what you say, however, this is exactly what I mean. We know what is used in real props. If someone makes all their props from real parts, that will be a hard to spot fake. We would also know if the real one is owned or not. Great props end up in the junkyard all the time. Members aren't screened here, only banned if they do something wrong. Yes, the members here can spot or disprove, but only if they know about the pending sale. By the time the auctio is over, it can be too late.
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 6:56 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #31

So this begs the question, what other items aren't legitimate? Their catalog is HUGE!
    From
    Wonder Lake, IL
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 7:12 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #32

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    It was made by Darth Hez about 15 years ago on this board. Total Fake. Not even a little bit close.
    Dammit I knew it. When I saw the pics at the Original Prop Blog the first thing that hit me was Hey, thats Hezs piece!
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 7:12 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #33

Wow, that thing brings back some memories. Replica of a modern hand wheel, allen screws instead of transistors... This was as good as it got back in the day.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 7:32 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #34

If we only had the ability to reach out to hundreds of thousands of people and tell them to share this fake lightsaber news... man

Too bad we dont have some kind of technology or device that could connect every single person around the world to each other..

Damn... if only

Throw this crap all over social media, and blast these bastards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 7:57 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #35

After talking with Profiles, I fully expect them to pull this auction. The guy I talked to seemed quite surprised and grateful for the info.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 8:02 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #36

All they had to do is open the Chronicles book and they would see that this wasn't legit. Do they just take people's word (or COA) that what they have is the real deal? What kind of auction house doesn't do any research?
  12. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 8:07 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #37

They just informed me that the piece has been pulled. The problem is that with most film props they generally authenticate pieces by looking at province and then comparing it with any original photos. Most of the time this leaves them saying "we have province" and "it looks like it does in these photos"

But with something like Star Wars, there's an entire fan community dedicating to make pieces that look just like the original, so the same strategies don't work.
  13. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 8:12 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #38

Nice work dan! You saved a certain someone from getting ripped off big!

The power of the rpf!!

From
    Los Angeles, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 9:52 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #39

Can someone post a copy of the auction catalog with the light saber in it? They've already updated the catalog on the website to remove it...
  15. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 10:32 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Profiles Hez compare.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	814774

Here's a side by side shot showing a Hez saber against the one that was going to auction.
  16. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 11:04 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #41

Spot on

17. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  May 3, 2018, 11:32 PM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #42

Joek3rr said: View Post
    So this begs the question, what other items aren't legitimate? Their catalog is HUGE!
    The thing is, even for genuine production items they'll use vague words like 'original', where people like us will insist on more specificity - is it production made, screen used, stunt, closeup, etc.

Take the Frozen Stallone from Demolition Man they're selling - sure, it is made by the original effects company, exactly as they say, but they don't mention that the piece was made after the production of the film to go into a Planet Hollywood, along with dozens, if not 100, identical Stallone models. I really feel like the Profiles auctions aren't for those of us in the prop community, but more for people looking to spend money.
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 1:21 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #43

Thank god the piece was pulled. Otherwise someone would have gotten scammed out of a quarter million at least.
    From
    bright center of the universe
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 1:21 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #44

That Darth Vader is actually one that was made for Planet Hollywood and was displayed in their Chicago location in the mid-late 90s. I actually saw this suit there in person.
    It was also photographed and used to make promotional items like one of the life size card board cutouts and shortly used on toy packaging of Vader for the rebooted 12" action figure line.
    None of the components have ties to real items except for the chest armor and helmet, and those are very far removed lineage wise that they are very different in geometry and details compared to anything associated with the original productions.
  20. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 1:43 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #45

Joek3rr said: View Post
    The James Bond THUNDERBALL flare pen is 100% wrong.
    From
    In a blue box, travelling around the cosmos
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 4:32 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #46

This is why these types of auctions should always run the stuff through sites like this, because we've got experts that can out-expert their experts.
    From
    UK / Japan
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 7:18 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #47

It is so dangerous, because the more hands it passes through (if it sold), the more real it becomes. Provenance is marketable and if it sells, and the paper chain is correct.. and people don't have an incentive to be forensic over the details... fake becomes real via consensus. If it sold for anywhere near the asking price, the buyer would want to protect their investment, further obfuscating issues.
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 7:48 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #48

SethS said: View Post
    I feel like we could make this into a side-gig.
    @SethS, you and others here are *the* *world* authority so (i) you could and (ii) the media needs to be alerted about this so some poor asshat doesn't shell out $250k or more!

[EDIT] Its been removed? Well done Dan!
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 8:01 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #49

This would have gone great next to the fake Luke one at Ripley’s! I actually wouldn’t be surprised if this does turn up on display somewhere.
    2 Weeks Ago  May 4, 2018, 9:41 AM - Re: Profiles in History auctioning ANH Obi Wan lightsaber #50

matty matt said: View Post
    This would have gone great next to the fake Luke one at Ripley’s! I actually wouldn’t be surprised if this does turn up on display somewhere.
    Seriously.