Custom Con ready Dragonglass and Obsidian Weapons

Asphalt

I have been doing Prop making Mold and Cast work for a while now and my newest obsession has been melee weapons. I know a few people who have wanted to cosplay and L.A.R.P. with Dragonglass, Obsidian, or stone weapons, but their cost, fragility, and quite frankly deadly nature have kept them from doing so. As a favor I told them I would try to work something out. Here are the first five complete weapons I have put together. The points are two part resin died to resemble various types of volcanic glass, the handles are Poplar, and the wrapping is artificial sinew. I plan on doing a lot more experimenting with colors, blade types, and handle configurations.

IMG_E5141.JPG
IMG_E5138.JPG

IMG_E5139.JPG
IMG_E5140.JPG
IMG_E5137.JPG
IMG_E5136.JPG

I've been planning on doing a line of sculptures inspired by Neolithic and Meso American weapons of obsidian. I did one made of two part resin dyed with a black pigment like your's. I'd like to get something that was more translucent, as the one I have done is solid black....and was pretty fragile.

Attachments

• DSC00056.JPG
    DSC00056.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 291
I don't have them finished yet, but I have some that I have gotten nice translucency with. The trick is using extremely extremely small amounts of dye and starting with a resin that cures transparent. I'm surprised at the size you are working with in your pick that you are having fragility issues. What resin do you use?

Oh yeah, that's what I'd like to accomplish, nice translucency! And I forgot to mention, I love the work you showed in your first post!

The resin I'm using is some Alumilite stuff from Hobby Lobby.

Oh yeah, that's what I'd like to accomplish, nice translucency! And I forgot to mention, I love the work you showed in your first post!

The resin I'm using is some Alumilite stuff from Hobby Lobby.

I would recommend moving up to Smooth-On products for your rubber and resin. Alumilite dye works well, but I hate their molding and casting products.

Started laying out my next piece. Going to be much larger than my other dragonglass pieces. It will have a total of 9 cast Ulu Blades.
IMG_5158.JPGIMG_5157.jpg

a few more, this is the last of my Red Obsidian, so now I am working with my more Dragonglass pieces.
IMG_5177.JPGIMG_5176.JPGIMG_5175.JPGIMG_5174.JPGIMG_5173.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5178.JPG

I am liking the look of these and looking forward to what you learn about casting obsidian-appearing resins.

Been doing some more color experimentation to mimic some different types of stone and crystal. and a shiny gold one for kicks. Had some trouble with one batch only having a partial cure, so I did some chopping. Battle damaged jade maybe?
IMG_5217.JPGIMG_5189.JPGIMG_5188.JPGIMG_5187.JPG5F2EB0A1-A88E-4202-8F9C-DA42830492F0.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back