Blade Runner 2049 Memory Orb Build

If anyone has good advise on how to create the black labeling on the chromed ring please let me know. Vinyl cutter, hand cut masking tape printable masking sheet? Which one would be the best kind?
Capture5 (2).JPG

Is it a truly metal/chromed piece? or just a 3D printer part painted in chrome paint?

If the former.. someone with a laser cutter could mark the metal for you using cermark. (I dont have a rotary attachment for my laser, or I would offer to do it for ya)

If the later.. vinyl cutter.. (although the text would be exactly 'flat').. or maybe look into some water decals being made?

Last edited:
Mine is 3D printed chrome painted and sealed. The original seems highly polished airframe quality Al. Water decals sounds good.

Is it a truly metal/chromed piece? or just a 3D printer part painted in chrome paint?

If the former.. someone with a laser cutter could mark the metal for you using cermark. (I dont have a rotary attachment for my laser, or I would offer to do it for ya)

If the later.. vinyl cutter.. (although the text would be exactly 'flat').. or maybe look into some water decals being made?

You can still laser engrave.. (depends on what your filamanent is made out of though.. any chlorine in it.. is a no-go!).. but you can to play around to get a good engrave.. and not a melt anything.

water decals is probably the best, cleanest option..

Thanks everyone. Almost done. Now I have to redesign the on/off button. Didn't pay attention to the "little things". Fairly happy with the impression of Version 1. I would like to have finer gradations and better defined numbering but for that I would need an SLA printer. There is a reason why this was machined from Aluminum.

Fully assembled and charging up. I need to print all those little labels next. Didn't find anything that would allow me to put the black labels on the outer chrome rings yet.IMG_1560 (2).JPGIMG_1561 (2).JPGIMG_1562 (2).JPGIMG_1569 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Great job!
And thanks a lot for all these details during the built(3d print, painting..)! It's really helpful info for future projects !

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back