Blade Runner 2049 Memory Orb Build

So cool that you share this hard work. Thank you very, very much. Hope to get this printed on my small resin printer.

The first piece you printed looks great.
The largest pieces have a 116 mm diameter and are 45mm high.

So cool that you share this hard work. Thank you very, very much. Hope to get this printed on my small resin printer.

I think I tried to signup there before but my account was never switched free to post anything. Now I tried again but similarly it is never activated by the administrators. I guess they are busy with other things.
Propsummit is one of the best BR group I've known (I'm a member for years now, as well as many others here on the RPF;)) I can see you in there with your marvelous prop!!

Decided to make this into a build thread to share how this will go and to have a central place to gather the info and advise I found here.
View attachment 814691View attachment 814692

The original design was done by Mike Hill
Mike Hill

Kyle Martin founder of Moxie Tool turned it into a physical, functional piece machined out of Aluminum.

The Orb is shown in great detail here: https://www.moxietool.com (Click 'Projects' for detailed photos) originally posted by Buch.

I decided to make one for myself that resembles the concept as I love the movie and this is a fascinating design.
Obviously this needs a lot of specific changes to be 3D printable and that is another interesting challenge.

If anyone can share experiences with emulating anodized Al, chrome, brushed metal etc, I would be grateful.

Already got great advise on the metal finishing from Mr Mold Maker. Learning to airbrush....

The electronics could be just analogue, but I would prefer to have a trinket/arduino drive this to change direction and speed of the five dc motors. However can't find anything with five dc motor drivers. If someone has a sketch that integrates DC motors with a rotary encoder it would be great as an example.

Also the small gradations (black arrows) are too small to be 3D printed so I need advise on decal methods that could be used.

Please share your experiences.

View attachment 814068

View attachment 814691

View attachment 814692
What Software are you modeling in? Fusion360?

Already printed the parts, need to paint them.

img_2212yrj7s.jpg

Empiricus My jaw has been on the floor this entire thread. This is absolutely incredible! Thank you for making the files available, once I finish my RACprops Deckard blaster this is the next thing on my list!! Truly stunning work!!!

Your generosity in putting the files out there for everyone is amazing! In a forum and world that can be pretty tough and cold, this is a very kind act. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Thanks so much Empiricus for making these files public, i was searching for the orb and stumbled onto this thread.
What can i say... pure craftsmanship ! I started printing the memory orb right away, gives me time to sand and paint the binoculars.
Are there any plans to release an instructable? I have no experience in electronics, a guide would be excellent.

I'm currently working on the cop derringer from Leon. It goes painfully slow since i also have no experience in Fusion :D
I will also make the files public and post them here on the RPF. (when done ofc)

In the end I went all analogue. Just a charger for the Lipo is integrated that also allows to use 3.3V and 5V giving you two speeds. I can put up some pictures of the end wiring. I will be doing an SLA printed one, maybe that's the occasion to do an instructable. But that is a lot of work as this is a bit complicated to put together.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back