Mos Eisley Docking Bay 94 1/350 Diorama

Yeah, I disagree. Star Wars was shot Panavision anamorphic, and it's clear that the SE artists tried to emulate a "wide" lens on the Falcon liftoff shot (perhaps a little too much, as there's a lot of barrel distortion in the shot, as you can see from the wild inconsistency of the alcove heights right across the frame.) From a rough estimate, 3 times would be way too short. I'd err towards 3.5 to 3.75, personally, probably leaning towards 3.5 as a safety.

E4S_KEY_91-e1420840421757.jpg

Yeah, I disagree. Star Wars was shot Panavision anamorphic, and it's clear that the SE artists tried to emulate a "wide" lens on the Falcon liftoff shot (perhaps a little too much, as there's a lot of barrel distortion in the shot, as you can see from the wild inconsistency of the alcove heights right across the frame.) From a rough estimate, 3 times would be way too short. I'd err towards 3.5 to 3.75, personally, probably leaning towards 3.5 as a safety.

View attachment 817321

Well, looking at the photo evidence, and if you take the height of the alcoves, a good number looks to be 3.25 times the height of the alcoves.

Hm. Comparing the 1976 blueprint to the 1997 Special Edition clip, you can really see the differences in scale. Lucas was apparently very frustrated with the undersized docking bay set for the first film, as it was much smaller than he'd have liked, but all that could be afforded in terms of cost and space. In the Rinzler "Making of" book he quotes Dennis Muren commenting on how they had to really fake the shoot-out scene, since the set was actually so small that the troopers and the Falcon were really right next to each other.

The CGI set built 20 years later was clearly meant to show what Lucas would have preferred the set look like.

Hmm. I pulled out the ruler and measured the screen. On mine, the alcove was 3 cm high, and the top of the Bay 11.5. That's very nearly 4. Even taking into account some minor variance for shift perspective, I'd still go at 3.5. I was going to make this model for my Bandai 350, as the resources were mostly available on Shapeways, but figured I'd do the Death Star Bay instead as it hadn't been done at that scale. I'd still like a crack at this (I'd do it cutaway, and likely put in some of the details from the Cutaway Books), but I'd err towards 3.5.

I'll have to check the models from Attack Of The Clones. There's likely a bit more reference. That's assuming they haven't tweaked the heights of the models there to make them shorter bays.

Well... Looking at the picture attached here, I'm looking at around 4.3x alcove height. I have the alcove measured in at 15mm and overall height at 63mm.

2ED36B57-1687-4FBD-A77D-5FB76D82B81F.jpeg

Well... Looking at the picture attached here, I'm looking at around 4.3x alcove height. I have the alcove measured in at 15mm and overall height at 63mm.
View attachment 817596

You are measuring from the outer edges of the shot, where the anamorphic lens barrel distortion and perspective skew will be most prevalent. I measured the alcoves from the centre of the shot, with the Falcon shifted over slightly.

You are measuring from the outer edges of the shot, where the anamorphic lens barrel distortion and perspective skew will be most prevalent. I measured the alcoves from the centre of the shot, with the Falcon shifted over slightly.

Even so, measuring the distortion shouldn't have an effect on the multiplier, though, right? Doesn't the distortion include the alcoves and over height where I took the measurement? If that's the case, then it shouldn't matter where the measurement is taken, as long as the distortion is equal from top to bottom. With the Falcon in the way, I can only estimate the alcove height at the center of the shot.

No, the distortion is inconsistent across the outer edges of the frame. It's not geometrically equal. It's how you can see movies are shot with certain older, untreated anamorphic lenses. (Today's anamorphic lenses are milled by computer and have improved geometry.) Even so, this is a digital lens in this shot. The least amount of distortion on a lens, real or simulated, is always at the centre of the image.

I've spent a couple of months putting together my Death Star bay plans. My advice would be to get a sheet of paper and just draw up a wall view and amend it until you've got a size that you're happy with. (Paper is cheaper than plastic!)

I've spent a couple of months putting together my Death Star bay plans. My advice would be to get a sheet of paper and just draw up a wall view and amend it until you've got a size that you're happy with. (Paper is cheaper than plastic!)
Death Star bay plans? Sorry that's not where it's about here. But I'm planning on building the same. Did you make it with a bunch of Storm troopers in formation? And Darth Vader? With the shiny floor and the drop down floor? With a open back view of the stars/space?

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

I think you missed the earlier tangent.

No, I'm about to start construction after lengthy prep. Not putting any people in it. It's simply the vehicles and the bay.

I've been thinking about Bay 94. It's vexing me.

My rough estimate is about 14meters in total height, based on a stormtrooper being 1,80m tall, making the wall openings about 3,50m high. Did not measure anything, though, just guesstimating, using that ol´"pi times thumb" formula. Now where´s SteveStarkiller and his extraordinary recreation of the Falcon and the docking bay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Bay? He did both Mos Eisley and Death Star 327.

At 14 m height, that would make the overall model height 4 cm. (I did a quick calculation on the Bandai Falcon…it seems to be actually a little closer to 1:348 scale, but you may as well call it 1:350!)

I think you missed the earlier tangent.

No, I'm about to start construction after lengthy prep. Not putting any people in it. It's simply the vehicles and the bay.

I've been thinking about Bay 94. It's vexing me.
Oké cool... Yes I must have missed it. I find it hard to navigate in Tapatalk.
But that is awesome i want to do it with troops, the only thing is they are 3d printed highly prices. So still thinking how to get a other solution? Maybe get one stormtrooper and make a mold to get like 40troops.

What scale are you building it? I'm going on 1:144

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

Which Bay? He did both Mos Eisley and Death Star 327.

At 14 m height, that would make the overall model height 4 cm. (I did a quick calculation on the Bandai Falcon…it seems to be actually a little closer to 1:348 scale, but you may as well call it 1:350!)

4cm doesn't seem that tall...lol... but I will see how that looks later today when I get home. Thanks for all the input from everyone!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back