Mos Eisley Docking Bay 94 1/350 Diorama

Crude beginnings... But I'm happy how it's coming along:

1733BC6E-312B-4843-B3FF-920CCA2D586B.jpeg

I took a more complicated and unconventional approach to constructing docking bay 94... I like the challenge and how it's similar to building a full set. Sure, all these details will be hidden once finished, but I know how it went together. Besides, it's more fun this way!

C4D78876-ED84-4DFA-A0A5-3EA76A9F1BFA.jpeg

Hm. That looks great, but the walls look really rather high. They weren't that tall in the Special Editions, which is the only place we saw them.

Also there are similar space ports in the prequels.

- nkg

prequel.jpgjohn-barry.jpg

Well, the good thing is, I can just cut it down. I was guessing at the height with the idea that if it was too tall, I could easily adjust it.

Thanks for the reference photos! They will help alot.

Also... It always feels like Christmas when parts arrive.. And my second of three shapeways orders came in today. I'll be posting pictures later tonight...

Hi...did I imagine that you found some Bay 327 reference in the blueprint book? I've been looking back on the forum, and thought I was hallucinating!

Hi...did I imagine that you found some Bay 327 reference in the blueprint book? I've been looking back on the forum, and thought I was hallucinating!

I posted a scan to another thread here. :)

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=290362&p=4460635#post4460635

- - - Updated - - -

It looks as though the docking bay is roughly twice the height of the Falcon when parked. Would you agree with that assumption?

Well I don’t know. I’m no expert. But more than that. The photo of John Barry has him examining a maquette of the 1976 set, when they built walls that reached the height of the studio ceiling. The full depth of the docking bay was never defined at this time. It wasn’t until the CGI SpeciL Edition that the overall depth was designed and shown.

Last edited:
Bay 94 was dismantled and replaced with Bay 327, both built around the Falcon. Probably not helpful, but the Bay 327 Entrance Maw was 39 feet tall (from the blueprint NKG very kindly posted), and the painted Death Star wall backdrop behind (pointless, as you never really see it aside from the edge in one shot) 30 feet high.

McQuarrie’s paintings, and the storyboards especially, do give a thumbnail indication as to the height of 94.

Last edited:
I think a safe number to go with is 2.75x higher. Looking at the Special Edition footage, that seems like a good place to settle. I'll finish installing the landing gear on my Falcon and take some measurements.

cgi launch.jpg

Here's a composite of the CGI lift off from docking bay 94.
The lowest Falcon is already off the ground at the start of the shot

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back