Mos Eisley Docking Bay 94 1/350 Diorama

This looks good

https://deeplyobsessed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/docking-bay-94.html

In the first render, ignore the big pipes in the right hand alcove as they don't appear to be on the set (see the crude composite below)

Jim

pano.jpg

Also the yellow devices with all the cables disappear between shots, which suggests a passage of time, despite the editing trying to build tension.

They do? Between which shots? There are only two scenes in which they appear.

I don't think the yellow tank-things vanish - it's just that they're visible from certain angles and not from others.

There seem to be three. Two have silver hoses, and are off to the left side of the frame. The third has no silver hose, and is way at the back behind the ramp.

The main staging difference between the SE Jabba scene and the hero arrival in Docking Bay 94 scene is that the forklift truck is further to the left in the latter scene.

Yes, I think Keiko is correct. As the link you posted shows, the original Docking Bay 94 set had essentially four alcoves built along the curved wall on the starboard side of the ship. Let's number them, starting with alcove 1 (with the staircase), and then going clockwise. Alcove 2 has no doors on the blueprint, whereas Alcove 3 has four yellow doors.

For the shot which starts with Han lovingly rubbing his ship, then panning around to the left, the frame ends up pointing towards Alcove 3. The doors are visible, as are the two yellow fuel tank things which are parked just in front of the alcove. Unfortunately the tanks are not marked on the blueprint.

For the shot where the stormtroopers storm in, guns a-blazin', they charge in from Alcove 1, which has the staircase. This is because they entered the same doorway that our heroes used when they met Chewie out on the street. That means that the alcove to the left of the troops (our right) is Alcove 2, which doesn't have the yellow tanks in front of it.

As Keiko suggests, for further evidence, look at the weather streaks above the alcoves. Alcove 3 has two medium-wide dark streaks on the far left. Alcove 2 has one dark narrow streak.

To summarize, I don't think the yellow tanks were moved between the two scenes. The tanks are also present in the Jabba scene, but we only know that because of behind-the-scenes photographs; the tanks don't appear on-screen.

Incidentally, the Jabba scene has Solo entering the scene from Alcove 3, so presumably one of the doors leads off elsewhere, and not just to storage rooms or whatever. At the end of the scene the thuggish miscreants walk off towards Alcove 3, presumably to use the same exit. Though of course the CGI sequence creates a minor continuity problem, since the CGI Jabba would seem to be too large to fit through any of the four doors.

- nkg

img238anhdocking bay.jpg

Last edited:
Which alcoves do we see here?

Well, it's difficult. Because that shot is from the Special Edition, and was made 20 years later. It has continuity errors from the original film footage.

I'd say that the alcove to the far right is supposed to be Alcove 1. The crates to the far right of the frame resemble those from the original movie, though they're slightly wrong. The main continuity error is that the two brown ovoid post thingies briefly visible in the original film are not where they should be in the CGI scene - they seem thinner and further to the left. Also, a whole bunch of new troopers seem to be swarming in from the alcove to the left of Alcove 1, though that could explained as being where another door is located.

The remaining alcoves in the shot were on the left side of the ship; the part of the set that was never built in 1976.

>So, as far as the alcoves go, they are generally correct in that scene?

Kind of. The arrangement of crates in Alcove 1 is slightly wrong, I don't see the curved floor grate, and the two brown ovoid towers aren't in the right place. All the stuff above the alcoves, such as the cranes, was created for the Special Editions, since that part of the set was never shown in the original movie, and thus never designed.

The left side of the docking bay was actually designed, in a sense. The Star Wars Blueprints book reproduces a diagram that was made for the purpose of painting a large flat backdrop behind the missing side of the Falcon. It looks like this if you're interested.

- nkg

painting.jpg

>So, as far as the alcoves go, they are generally correct in that scene?

Kind of. The arrangement of crates in Alcove 1 is slightly wrong, I don't see the curved floor grate, and the two brown ovoid towers aren't in the right place. All the stuff above the alcoves, such as the cranes, was created for the Special Editions, since that part of the set was never shown in the original movie, and thus never designed.

The left side of the docking bay was actually designed, in a sense. The Star Wars Blueprints book reproduces a diagram that was made for the purpose of painting a large flat backdrop behind the missing side of the Falcon. It looks like this if you're interested.

- nkg

View attachment 816196

I need to get that book! That's a big help, though. Thanks!

RE: That special edition shot - Also the 3 'U boat periscopes' were not on a base originally, and there's a T shaped connector between two of them, also there should be a square platform just in front of them. Alcove 1 should have that tall white 'fridge' in it.
All the rust streaks above the alcoves are missing...
No crates in alcove 2 originally
In the original footage the light and shade are the reverse of the CGI version.

We could really do with some naming conventions!

Jim

img05.jpgSWIV_3458 (1).jpg

Last edited:
>In the original footage the light and shade are the reverse of the CGI version.

Yes - that's a really good point! The angle of sunlight is a major continuity error. Ah well!

Hm. I’ll take a look.

The main thing about the Death Star docking bay is you have to decide - do you want to model it after how big the set was - perhaps widening it, reflecting the fact that only half was built. Or do you want to model it after the implied size, given the forced perspective lines that were painted on the floor?

Stinson Lenz and I were having this discussion weeks ago, which is I think what prompted him to do his terrific extension CG model. Not only is there the forced perspective for the rear of the set (the angled "fake wall" section to the left, the slightly reduced size of the second maintenance walkway behind the Falcon, the miniature lights heading off to the maw, the painted forced perspective chevrons); but there's also forced perspective tricks to the front of the set: over the "halfway line" of the half-Falcon, the remainder of the Bay (which is only visible in one shot in the film, where the Scanning Crew are taking their equipment into the Falcon) is painted canvas, and they reduce the size of the panels (including the overhead "piping bay"). Ditto, the not-really-seen canvas behind the Falcon of the far wall, is also reduced wall panel sizes.

To answer the question, though, I'm only doing the immediate set area around the Falcon (I think, at this stage of the game), which won't include the lit entrance maw, so that neatly solves that problem!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back