Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

How did they find out the mystery chunk has checkering on it? I've skimmed through the research thread, but I must have missed it.

Sshhhhhh its a secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But is the lpi a secret?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Lines per inch.

The knurling was confirmed by @scottjua from when he held it. Dan updated his mystery chunk to have knurling, but I don’t think there was ever a definitive count of lines provided.

Lines per inch.

The knurling was confirmed by @scottjua from when he held it. Dan updated his mystery chunk to have knurling, but I don’t think there was ever a definitive count of lines provided.

Wait someone here at the RPF got to hold it?!?!?!? Wow!!! I'm so envious right now.

Brandon OWNS the dagummed thing for crying out loud!

Wow! Just wow! The level of detail and care you've taken is extraordinary, as well as the amazing write up and tutorial. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what’s the process with the copper neck coloring? Do the stencil in black first and then copper highlights or reverse ???

So what’s the process with the copper neck coloring? Do the stencil in black first and then copper highlights or reverse ???

I’m heading out as we speak to start filming the application of stencils

Then, hopefully Thursday the sun stays out after work and I’ll paint the black

As for the wind vane, I’ve have seen many ways of doing it..

I am defiantly going to leave the windvane stencils on when I apply the wind vane color. I just don’t know which way I’m going yet... I have a few pieces of scrap aluminum I will paint black at the same time I’m painting my V2, and try each technique on those samples..

Last edited:

Wait someone here at the RPF got to hold it?!?!?!? Wow!!! I'm so envious right now.

Dude you seriously need to read the 800 page V2 thread from the beginning. Scott tells us a lot about it in that thread

There is a wealth of knowledge and comparison pics too, defiantly worth the read!!

It’s probably my favorite thread of all time on this site

Dude you seriously need to read the 800 page V2 thread from the beginning. Scott tells us a lot about it in that thread

There is a wealth of knowledge and comparison pics too, defiantly worth the read!!

It’s probably my favorite thread of all time on this site

I assume you are talking about Anakin's Starkiller's research thread, or is there dedicated V2 thread?

I'm guessing it's something like 30 lines per inch.

That's just at a glance.

I only wanna have to get one checkering file, they're like $40 a pop.

As for the chopper neck, I’ve have seen many ways of doing it..

I am defiantly going to leave the windvane stencils on when I apply the copper. I just don’t know which way I’m going yet... I have a few pieces of scrap aluminum I will paint black at the same time I’m painting my V2, and try each technique on those samples..

In all honesty I’m seriously leaning towards dry brushing copper sharpie...

One thing to think of is if you plan on clear coating make sure it won’t react with the clear...

Enamel all the way baby!

Also, I dusted on rose gold and then dusted some flat black over that.

For the emitter I dusted on chrome paint and then flat black over that.

check out the last post here. Pretty close to that Alec Guinness photo!

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288775&page=3

Enamel all the way baby!

Also, I dusted on rose gold and then dusted some flat black over that.

For the emitter I dusted on chrome paint and then flat black over that.

check out the last post here. Pretty close to that Alec Guinness photo!

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288775&page=3

damn tom! that came out beautiful!!!

Hey man, one trick that will REALLY help with the tricky parts of those stencils. when you pull up a section, if you fold it back on itself completely, forming a tight crease instead of lifting up, that tight crease will help separate the islands and their edges will stick out from the back side, letting you pin them down with tweezers or something. I saw you guys fighting them more than you had to by pulling UP, which just brings the islands up with them. So just like you do when you pull off the blue tape, fold it back on itself into a tight crease as you pull away to the side slowly and it'll be easier to grab those islands and hold them down.

Another trick you might want to make note of or even put text in your video.
when setting your blue tape, MARK the red line but don't CUT at the red line. Give yourself a "tail" of tape.
at 3:36 when you get to the end of your stencil and you're ready to pull the tape off so you can lay the other end down. Now is the time where you push the stencil down really tightly and burnish it from the backside so that it adheres really well to the V2. when you do that you won't have to use an exacto blade to get it started. just lift up on a corner of your "tail" and pull back tightly at that same extreme angle against itself. The Stencil will stay laying down flat and you won't have to fight to separate it
so
1. apply it gently so you can get it lined up but stop before you get to the end.
2. rub it down with force and burnish it so it sticks well
3. pull back the tail of first edge, tight against itself at a sharp angle so the stencil sticks
4. lay the second edge down so the edges meet
5. peel the rest of the tape off.

Last edited:

One thing I saw in @scottjua’s blaster stencil video was that he stuck the tape to his shirt or pants first before sticking it to the stencil. Picking up a little lint or fuzz helps the stencil transfer easier onto the surface of the saber, or blaster in Scott’s case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back