Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Stencils are on the saber now.
Painting next.

Is there anything I have to pay attention to after painting when it goes to remove the stencils? How easy is it to remove them?
4b8cacec48fc23c81f8cd0f0110b698e.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Removing them is the best part. Just go slow and peel away. check to make sure the paint isn't coming up with the stencils. Depending on how long you let them sit. I normally paint lightly and then remove the stencils after 20-30 minutes so that the paint doesn't fully cure to the stencils.
For the small islands, just a pin or exacto blade to pick them off. have some paper towels handy to stick all the stencils on as you peel them off or you'll have gummy black vinyl going everywhere.

I also highly recommend toothpicks in removing the stencils. They are great in picking off the smallest stencil pieces while at the same time not scratching the surface of the saber.

tooth picks do work great, i love my kebab skewers, they work awesome

- - - Updated - - -

guys ive been away far too long, all these pictures look great!

Removing them is the best part. Just go slow and peel away. check to make sure the paint isn't coming up with the stencils. Depending on how long you let them sit. I normally paint lightly and then remove the stencils after 20-30 minutes so that the paint doesn't fully cure to the stencils.
For the small islands, just a pin or exacto blade to pick them off. have some paper towels handy to stick all the stencils on as you peel them off or you'll have gummy black vinyl going everywhere.
second what trent said!
I also highly recommend toothpicks in removing the stencils. They are great in picking off the smallest stencil pieces while at the same time not scratching the surface of the saber.
Thank you guys.

HI, Firstly thank you for making this thread. I’m making my way through and there are loads tips and expert guidance from everyone. I do have a few questions if anyone is able to help.

I’m UK based so the recommended Kyrlon paint is not available here without some hefty shipping fees… or at least I couldn’t find it. There is a national car parts shop called Halfords that supplies paints. They have acrylic and also enamel black matt paint but I’m not sure which paint is going to be with these stencils.

Also, if it’s not possible to get an all in one paint and primer does the hilt need a coat of primer under the black?

HI, Firstly thank you for making this thread. I’m making my way through and there are loads tips and expert guidance from everyone. I do have a few questions if anyone is able to help.

I’m UK based so the recommended Kyrlon paint is not available here without some hefty shipping fees… or at least I couldn’t find it. There is a national car parts shop called Halfords that supplies paints. They have acrylic and also enamel black matt paint but I’m not sure which paint is going to be with these stencils.

Also, if it’s not possible to get an all in one paint and primer does the hilt need a coat of primer under the black?
I tried a coat of primer on the emitter first. The paint was more gummy afterwards when pealing the sticker of. I think the curing time must be longer than 20-30 minutes. But I got a white edge around the black paint because the primer was white. Just keep this in mind, otherwise I think it could work. Test spraying could be wise.

I used a paint on synthetic resin basis and one coat of clear laquer afterwards.

AAAHH! I need to change this now!! I AM NOT USING KRYLON ANYMORE I am now using Rustoleum Flat Black, 7578
black-rust-oleum-professional-general-purpose-spray-paint-7578838-c3_1000.jpg

this can be bought at Homedepot. I started a video, but havent finished it yet on how to paint the entire V2 black. Im finally catching up on things and will be giving this thread a overhaul shortly. but i need to change the paint i use... gotta comb through this and fix that now

I go with flat black, and use Scottjua's instructions on how to buff it, then seal it with rustoleum matte clear. i have bits and pieces of video, but need to film more on the next v2 i do to finish the video.

sorry about this, its my fault i should have changed this a while ago!

DONT USE KRYLON ANYMORE, it will also chemically react with the paint we use on the wind vane and ruin it.

black-rust-oleum-professional-general-purpose-spray-paint-7578838-c3_1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

UPDATE 7-8-2018

-Paint section has been added to post #1

-Post 4 now has the correct paint and item numbers, so if you forget, head over to the paint section in this thread. post #4, can grab a hotline right in post #1 ;)

-post #68 has been updated with the CORRECT black paint I am now using - Rustoleum Flat black 7578

I have gone through this entire thread and edited anything paint wise that i have now changed. so there is no confusion on what spray paint to buy

Rustoleum high performance flat black 7578

41MiNFQEYoL._SY355_.jpg

This works great with the other rustoleum products we use to make the wind vane color.

more updates tomorrow. i gotta get to bed :wacko

I have been out of the loop so long, can someone (if you know) please PM me why Mr Mold Maker was banned?!

Last edited:

I used:
-birchwood casey Aluminium Black (same process, 2 bottles)
- Halfords Satin Black
- Halfords Automotive Lacquer

I didn’t prime, just spray on some light coats. Remove the stencils and then a light spray with lacquer to seal in the paint.

No that's great, thanks for the update. I was watching a sol cal video last night and he said he used an enamel lacquer over the top and baked it on. Sounds like it's super tough and resistant that way which is appealing.

UPDATE 7-8-2018

-Paint section has been added to post #1

-Post 4 now has the correct paint and item numbers, so if you forget, head over to the paint section in this thread. post #4, can grab a hotline right in post #1 ;)

-post #68 has been updated with the CORRECT black paint I am now using - Rustoleum Flat black 7578

I have gone through this entire thread and edited anything paint wise that i have now changed. so there is no confusion on what spray paint to buy

Rustoleum high performance flat black 7578

View attachment 835476

This works great with the other rustoleum products we use to make the wind vane color.

more updates tomorrow. i gotta get to bed :wacko

I have been out of the loop so long, can someone (if you know) please PM me why Mr Mold Maker was banned?!

Thanks for all that, much appreciated. I don't know much about these paints so I'm afraid I literally need guidance by hand on everything. So it's enamel paints you are using, I will pick some up. Are you going to use the baked on method for the lacquer coat that Jordan Eugene used? He mentions it creates a really hard coat. Also I need to read up on what colour you are using for the neck.

Finished painting yesterday. I am very gappy with the outcome. Here is the saber next to my three parts Starkiller V2 where I did the paintjob without stencils via scratching, with just what I found from reference pics. Think it is very near to Trents new stencils.

Just waiting for some clamp weathering tricks.
4aca7d51d48cacec1d837f909fa09516.jpg
f69a9cb99e3faa94260937932a675c06.jpg

Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Thanks for all that, much appreciated. I don't know much about these paints so I'm afraid I literally need guidance by hand on everything. So it's enamel paints you are using, I will pick some up. Are you going to use the baked on method for the lacquer coat that Jordan Eugene used? He mentions it creates a really hard coat. Also I need to read up on what colour you are using for the neck.

Its just not enamel paint, it’s rustoleum that is the key thing here

I respect Jordan and like his idea of baking on the finish, but that’s not how the original was done

The original was throw together very quickly and crudely. They most likely used spray paints

Another issue with the baked on treatment for me is I can’t weather each chip like I do with the rustoleum

And with the baked on I don’t know if I can use trooper trents color combination and technique on the windvane..

If you are afraid of the paint Falling off that will not happen if you follow my instructions..

Prep is everything.. I don’t do prep to just be a nerd, I do it to ensure I have the best bond possible..

My buddy ethan has his that I’ve done for him and he plays with it every day. My props are shelf queens, him he’s got it all over his house, has everyone handle it, sometimes he has it in the kitchen when he’s cooking.. I bet he even showers with it.. he hasn’t lost 1 flake..

Put it this way.. when you prep correctly, you have to time everything... you wait more then a day to chip and weather the paint after you spray it.. ha good luck that stuff is tough coming off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Finished painting yesterday. I am very gappy with the outcome. Here is the saber next to my three parts Starkiller V2 where I did the paintjob without stencils via scratching, with just what I found from reference pics. Think it is very near to Trents new stencils.

Just waiting for some clamp weathering tricks.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/4aca7d51d48cacec1d837f909fa09516.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/f69a9cb99e3faa94260937932a675c06.jpg

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAAHH! I need to change this now!! I AM NOT USING KRYLON ANYMORE I am now using Rustoleum Flat Black, 7578
View attachment 835474

this can be bought at Homedepot. I started a video, but havent finished it yet on how to paint the entire V2 black. Im finally catching up on things and will be giving this thread a overhaul shortly. but i need to change the paint i use... gotta comb through this and fix that now

I go with flat black, and use Scottjua's instructions on how to buff it, then seal it with rustoleum matte clear. i have bits and pieces of video, but need to film more on the next v2 i do to finish the video.

sorry about this, its my fault i should have changed this a while ago!

DONT USE KRYLON ANYMORE, it will also chemically react with the paint we use on the wind vane and ruin it.
This has been my GO TO black paint for years, I love it!!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back