Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Hey, a tip for stencil number 5 since it's so thin and your least favorite. Once you apply your tape to it and peel it away from the paper backing, turn it over and cut it with scissors right up on the line of both edges. You can literally trim it so there is no blue on either side of the yellow. it'll be a super thin strip but it'll lay right down onto that lip without giving you any trouble. then once it's aligned, burnish it down onto the metal before peeling the blue tape off. ;)

Danny! Dude, EXCELLENT job on the video tutorials! you nailed it. Very thorough, organized, and methodical.
I made a little "supplemental" video on those couple of tips I mentioned just to kind of illustrate a small technique that will make applying them a little easier so you don't have to fight them so much when peeling the tape off. Feel free to use this in your list of videos (or don't) if it helps. Thank you so much for doing this man. I like how you just filmed the whole thing. It's almost like a little mini prop building party where we get to hang out with you and assemble a V2. Very fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome trent!! I’m gonna link that video as well!

I figured since each stencil kinda has its own characteristic’s when installing, just to install each one and share my way of doing it

Really really appreciate the kind words, it means a lot coming from you. You ARE the stencil guy!!

Also don’t understand how much I appreciate you doing this run for us, it wouldn’t be complete with out it!

My buddy and I have been doing this for over 20 years now, we were screaming around with Halloween costumes and stuff when we were kids

And when we are playing with these new replicas today, one of us always says “ when kids we would have never thought we would actually have something like this when we got older..”

So stuff like this helps relive my childhood

The sucker though, he took a break and filmed his new apartment full of boba Fett and side show life sizes, but I can’t find it on my phone he had to have filmed it on his... that’s a site to see as well

Once I get home I’m gonna link you video, thanks for everything man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another trick you might want to make note of or even put text in your video.
when setting your blue tape, MARK the red line but don't CUT at the red line. Give yourself a "tail" of tape.
at 3:36 when you get to the end of your stencil and you're ready to pull the tape off so you can lay the other end down. Now is the time where you push the stencil down really tightly and burnish it from the backside so that it adheres really well to the V2. when you do that you won't have to use an exacto blade to get it started. just lift up on a corner of your "tail" and pull back tightly at that same extreme angle against itself. The Stencil will stay laying down flat and you won't have to fight to separate it
so
1. apply it gently so you can get it lined up but stop before you get to the end.
2. rub it down with force and burnish it so it sticks well
3. pull back the tail of first edge, tight against itself at a sharp angle so the stencil sticks
4. lay the second edge down so the edges meet
5. peel the rest of the tape off.

This is excellent info!! Mind if I copy this and throw it in the tutorial?!

One thing I saw in @scottjua’s blaster stencil video was that he stuck the tape to his shirt or pants first before sticking it to the stencil. Picking up a little lint or fuzz helps the stencil transfer easier onto the surface of the saber, or blaster in Scott’s case.

I’ve been so busy, I haven’t had time to watch Scott’s new video, wish I knew that trick!

I’m going to apply these new tricks into my next build ;)

I tell ya we cut the time by more then half, alittle over 2 hours last night, Saturday it took me 5.. pretty much 5 because I did my emitter twice

[/CENTER]

FYI, you can apply 8,9,10, and 11 with the emitter off. It'll make it easier to handle and to get 8 in that groove. ;)

I don’t recall if it’s on film, but we talked about taking it off. I kinda like having it on the saber when I do it.

If not, I would use a threaded rod to hold the emitter

Kinda like a magic wand lol

UPDATES

5/18/18

Post #1: Added what bolts to purchase to plug the holes in the booster and pommel when Carbonite Dipping

Post #2: Added Trooper Trent's Tips and Tricks video on installing his stencils. A MUST WATCH!

Post #2: We now have a " ** Trent tips" inserts indicated by ** and Red Text​

Hey guys, i havent been on here much because i have been SWAMPED with work. i was actually planning on taking saturday off, but got screwed over now twice but other contractors who should have been there today... the painters sprayer died on him, and the sheet rocker never came back from lunch. so i am stuck working tomorrow... if they show up. I managed to get home at normal time today and through on 2 coast of paint

i like using poles or rods, something that i can lock the part on and spin around, i used to do this with flat tip alligator clamps on BBQ skewers ;) on my old model parts when i was younger... so its always stuck with me
IsdppvW.jpg

using the bolts to keep my threads clean.. dont want to clean them again..

1LQ6P2w.jpg

2 coats down..
d619f428ee3095eaa4816c5f36d102f0.jpg

(THESE PICTURES ARE NOT FLAT BLACK 7578, BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR NEWER PICTURES WITH CORRECT COLOR)

Last edited:
Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

need some advice guys... trying to dent and chip my nipple bung... this has got to be hardened steel... i attempted to mill it a few weeks ago.. and it sure felt a lot stronger then normal steel. i could be wrong and just use to working with soft metals..

but i used my center punch to make a little dimple in it.. no luck... broke out my harden punch... this things mean business... nothing... I even sharpened a huge spike nail, when I hit it, it bent the tip of the spike nail like play doh...

i am debating on going to try and find some 5/16 round at the steel yard... im having no luck with the bung...

on a positive note, i did flatten it down on my bench sander and i like the grain in it. looks like saw grain

5ad43844fd8d58c7dc22043ee7ab8fe3.jpg

need some advice guys... trying to dent and chip my nipple bung... this has got to be hardened steel... i attempted to mill it a few weeks ago.. and it sure felt a lot stronger then normal steel. i could be wrong and just use to working with soft metals..

but i used my center punch to make a little dimple in it.. no luck... broke out my harden punch... this things mean business... nothing... I even sharpened a huge spike nail, when I hit it, it bent the tip of the spike nail like play doh...

i am debating on going to try and find some 5/16 round at the steel yard... im having no luck with the bung...

on a positive note, i did flatten it down on my bench sander and i like the grain in it. looks like saw grain

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/5ad43844fd8d58c7dc22043ee7ab8fe3.jpg
Made mine with this, and works with the square angle

Works pretty good :)
0069ea440cebc63dcf3f054fc5326012.jpg

db95388096e932163704424f80ae8b8e.jpg

Great video Danny !!! Cant wait to see more and to make my own !! Such a tease.

If I can get my friend to come over early tomorrow we will record the physical damage ;)

Awesome thread halliwax. I’m contemplating airbrushing these stencils at a low psi in hopes of capturing more surface detail and gaining more control of the paint. If anybody else here airbrushed, can someone recommend some good paints for this hilt?

Awesome thread halliwax. I’m contemplating airbrushing these stencils at a low psi in hopes of capturing more surface detail and gaining more control of the paint. If anybody else here airbrushed, can someone recommend some good paints for this hilt?

I am in need of a air brush setup... punishes Props has a great video on his YouTube page.

Adam savage also has high dollar brushes but says he uses his cheap 100 dollar single action brush the most

I use to take air brush lessons when I was a kid... boy that’s a long time ago now..

If I were to air brush this, it would all be in lacquer

Judging by the pop culture video I swear that’s a lacquer paint. But who knows, probably just cheap 70s rattle can crap lol

I am in need of a air brush setup... punishes Props has a great video on his YouTube page.

Adam savage also has high dollar brushes but says he uses his cheap 100 dollar single action brush the most

I use to take air brush lessons when I was a kid... boy that’s a long time ago now..

If I were to air brush this, it would all be in lacquer

Judging by the pop culture video I swear that’s a lacquer paint. But who knows, probably just cheap 70s rattle can crap lol

interesting... I’ve been using neo iwata with impressive results. It’s beern great on chassis work and small bits that need even and detailed coverage.

Nice idea. Curious to see the result ! :)

interesting... I’ve been using neo iwata with impressive results. It’s beern great on chassis work and small bits that need even and detailed coverage.
I have the same airbrush, along with a single action Pasche. I use the Iwata Neo the most. It's a great budget airbrush.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back