Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Thinking about picking up some Tamiya weathering master sets for the rust and copper effects. Anyone use this stuff before?

Thinking about picking up some Tamiya weathering master sets for the rust and copper effects. Anyone use this stuff before?

I like it, but it’s not rust in the ring grooves, pretty sure it’s just dust. That’s why I’ve been using fillers earth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it, but it’s not rust in the ring grooves, pretty sure it’s just dust. That’s why I’ve been using fillers earth

I like to think it got dropped while filming in Yuma, hence sand! Darth Vader's greatest weakness........along with the high ground:lol

I like to think it got dropped while filming in Yuma, hence sand! Darth Vader's greatest weakness........along with the high ground:lol

Exactly, I think it’s just years of dust collected up in there.

I actually got some fillers earth from trooper bay and one of them is Tatooine sand lol

Mixing grey and red works pretty good, using hair spray for it to stick

But I just haven’t had enough free time to experiment

I took some pictures but it’s weird.. with out the flash on it doesn’t look like enough, put the flash on and it looks like there’s waaaaay too much

But in person it looks just right, I want to make it so when it’s photo graphed it matches Brandon’s Facebook picture

I’m starting work late this morning and if it all goes to plan, it never does... but if it does I should be home tonight normal time. Cleaned off my experiment rings and will try again

I actually got some fillers earth from trooper bay and one of them is Tatooine sand lol

I took some pictures but it’s weird.. with out the flash on it doesn’t look like enough, put the flash on and it looks like there’s waaaaay too much

But in person it looks just right, I want to make it so when it’s photo graphed it matches Brandon’s Facebook picture

I’m starting work late this morning and if it all goes to plan, it never does... but if it does I should be home tonight normal time. Cleaned off my experiment rings and will try again

I totally agree that it's just dust and sand buildup in the grooves.

Fuller's Earth is a great idea.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I actually had the same idea! I purchased the same pack from Trooper Bay a couple of weeks ago with the same thought. I’ve never worked with it before, but was also planning on using hairspray to get it to stick. Did you spray the entire grenade section or use one of those wd-40 red nozzles to direct it where you wanted?

I havent had much time to work on it yet so I’m not that far along. Just preliminary weathering before I apply Trent’s stencils. I’m definitely loving the way it looks on yours so I’m excited to try it as well.

I actually had the same idea! I purchased the same pack from Trooper Bay a couple of weeks ago with the same thought. I’ve never worked with it before, but was also planning on using hairspray to get it to stick. Did you spray the entire grenade section or use one of those wd-40 red nozzles to direct it where you wanted?

I havent had much time to work on it yet so I’m not that far along. Just preliminary weathering before I apply Trent’s stencils. I’m definitely loving the way it looks on yours so I’m excited to try it as well.

I got the trooper bay stuff too, including the Tatooine sand lol

I spray the entire grenade (I’m using a spare piece that was giving to me by a friend) and then dust the dust in by dabbing a paint brush in the earth, and flick the bush with my finger tips

Hard for me to explain.. kinda like flicking paint with a tooth brush? Except using a paint brush instead

I mist the non scented hair spray on (same suggested by trooper bay) and I grabbed that at Walmart.

After I got enough earth in the rings I spray it one more time with hair spray, and then use a wet q-tip to clean the exposed aluminum on the rings

No red nozzle needed, I sprayed(misted) the whole thing

That red nozzle is a great idea, I’m gonna try it next time I can get to work on these

So hairspray doesnt make the paint wrinkle up or wipe off or anything?

So hairspray doesnt make the paint wrinkle up or wipe off or anything?

Not this kind
7e6bdb3d1ac2922b007c8e1068e2f307.heic

Bit of an image dump but I think I'm done with the finishing ...for now :D Most recent addition is real rust in the 'grenade' grooves. I'm pretty sure it can't be rust on the real thing cos aluminum doesn't rust, but it sure looks like it so that's what I did!

View attachment 821204View attachment 821194View attachment 821195View attachment 821196View attachment 821197View attachment 821198View attachment 821202View attachment 821201View attachment 821200View attachment 821199View attachment 821203

Tom had to come back and check these out again, what an amazing job buddy! This came out great! My favorite by far!

guys, sorry for being a ghost on here lately. i am FINALLY catching up in life. tomorrow night if all goes well i will NOT have to work! this will allow me to catch up with all the PM's. i'm not ignoring anyone at all, its just ive been leaving the house around 7:30am and not getting home until 9:30-10pm. by the time i eat, wash up, i go right to bed and repeat.

my friends think im on crystal meth because i just keep going.. but honestly my mind cant take much more of this.

so if you PMed me, you will hear back from me tomorrow. thanks everyone!!

Been doing research on how to weather my v2 and I’ve come to the conclusion that this is above my pay grade as my first weathering project. Does anyone have any recommendations on who to work with to weather the piece for me?

Been doing research on how to weather my v2 and I’ve come to the conclusion that this is above my pay grade as my first weathering project. Does anyone have any recommendations on who to work with to weather the piece for me?

I've never worked with Jordan personally, but I've heard and seen good things and I am considering contacting him for my own. Check out his vid below:

I believe he does alot of what is discussed in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoqYDqsUaOc&feature=youtu.be

I've never worked with Jordan personally, but I've heard and seen good things and I am considering contacting him for my own. Check out his vid below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoqYDqsUaOc&feature=youtu.be

That’s who I had in mind but I’ve had difficulty getting ahold of him, granted it’s only been one day

He'll get back to you. Jordan is a great guy and does fantastic work.
That’s who I had in mind but I’ve had difficulty getting ahold of him, granted it’s only been one day

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Don't sell yourself short though man. It's really not hard at all. You don't have to do all this crazy stuff that @halliwax is doing. Just running it through the dishwasher, dropping it around in some gravel, hitting it with a misting of black paint and wiping it back off a few times, and slapping the stencils on, it'll look really good. Besides, you'll be super proud of your work and it'll mean more to you that way.
The way I look at it is that you're trying to make it look old and beat up... so you can't really mess it up.

Don't sell yourself short though man. It's really not hard at all. You don't have to do all this crazy stuff that @halliwax is doing. Just running it through the dishwasher, dropping it around in some gravel, hitting it with a misting of black paint and wiping it back off a few times, and slapping the stencils on, it'll look really good. Besides, you'll be super proud of your work and it'll mean more to you that way.
The way I look at it is that you're trying to make it look old and beat up... so you can't really mess it up.

Exactly!!

Rm5122 Plus we are all here to help, if you need help walking through it I’m more then willing to help!

Thank you guys for the support and encouragement, I do appreciate it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back