Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

I have the same airbrush, along with a single action Pasche. I use the Iwata Neo the most. It's a great budget airbrush.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Are you airbrushing these V2 stencils? If so, what kind of paint are you gonna use? Thanks!

Nope, I have a set of the first run stencils I believe, I'm honestly not sure. But I haven't even used them. I kinda just winged it with my weathering/paint chips.

Checkering file came today, did a couple test chunks!
86f18002c0d6f2b21dcfd6eb954da20e.jpg

Last edited:

Nice!! Where can we get one like yours?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuse my ignorance... but why did you block out some of the stencil in your pictures?

Excuse my ignorance... but why did you block out some of the stencil in your pictures?

I explained in one of the posts. I don’t want people using my photos to photoshop Trent’s stencils. So I blocked most of it out

Sad world we live in

I explained in one of the posts. I don’t want people using my photos to photoshop Trent’s stencils. So I blocked most of it out

Sad world we live in

I see, didn’t think of that

I see, didn’t think of that

Yeah, you'd think as tight knit of a group as we are, that kind of thing wouldn't happen. I didn't ask Halliwax to blur them, he did that on his own, which was super thoughtful and much appreciated albeit unfortunate that he felt he needed to do that. I don't know that it'll do any good, as the last ones were ripped off by a person who bought a set. They simply placed their set in a printer/scanner and traced them in illustrator. So there's actually no way to stop it from happening, I just have to trust people to keep this a fun hobby and not a place to run scams for money.

Nice!! Where can we get one like yours?!

Thanks man!

I can't post a live eBay auction, but I'll pm it to you.

It's honestly not hard to find, just search checkering file 30 lpi and you'll find them.

Thanks man!

I can't post a live eBay auction, but I'll pm it to you.

It's honestly not hard to find, just search checkering file 30 lpi and you'll find them.

Interested as well :)

Nope, I have a set of the first run stencils I believe, I'm honestly not sure. But I haven't even used them. I kinda just winged it with my weathering/paint chips.

Checkering file came today, did a couple test chunks!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/86f18002c0d6f2b21dcfd6eb954da20e.jpg

Looks like I have a good excuse to buy a new tool. Man I love new tools. I don't recall ever wanting to checker anything in the past, but I'm sure I'll come up with at least a thing or two to do with it, at least within the next few decades.

Hahahaha! You silly man!

Hey, guys! I have a quick question about the stencil. I noticed that these were kinda different in the tutorial, so I took it into photoshop and played with it to make sure. Is it on at the wrong spot, placed that way on purpose to prevent copying, or am I missing something? Just doesn't look like It quite matches there.

differences.jpg

Mega curious about that, but please do forgive me if I'm missing something.

Hey, guys! I have a quick question about the stencil. I noticed that these were kinda different in the tutorial, so I took it into photoshop and played with it to make sure. Is it on at the wrong spot, placed that way on purpose to prevent copying, or am I missing something? Just doesn't look like It quite matches there.

View attachment 819287

Mega curious about that, but please do forgive me if I'm missing something.

Don't worry. what you're seeing is a combination of a few things.
1. Dan got it on ever so slightly shifted
2. His stencil tore, leaving a big open area
3. His is rotated differently, his camera has a vastly different lens and that photo was not taken under the same conditions as the prop. The pink circled area is where his stencil tore. He even talks about it in his tutorial.
Screen Shot 05-23-18 at 08.06 49.PNG

Here's a (low rez to prevent copying) screenshot of the actual stencil file next to the same area. You also have to remember that one is a flat image and the other is curved so everything won't line up exactly between the two. That's what makes this so complicated.
Screen Shot 05-23-18 at 08.12 55.PNG

Last edited:

Got my stencils and made some real progress last night/this morning :)

Paint is matte black Duracoat, I went for an extra thick coat but tried to vary the thickness a little. Plan is, after taking the paint off the grip rings and adding the brownish windvane section and it's had a day or so to cure, to polish it a little to smooth the transitions and vary the sheen, maybe throw it in a bag with a few nails/sharp objects and jostle it around to rough up the perfect flat surface a little :)

IMG_8432.JPGIMG_8433.JPGIMG_8436.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back