Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

A certain screen writers V2 shipped today

59755f509f11f215389e6196208fd60e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omgomgomg

I’m only a week late, :/ it’s been boxed up for 2 weeks now. Just haven’t had a single free second. Let me know when you get it ;)

I got a new chemical from sculpt nouveau to try out. it’s fairly new product of theirs.

I am not a fan of it, and will be sticking with a14. But it really gives a rust color finish

d4d4b22bd688776d39deb81afc0a3a8a.jpg

ba6ea19eb142c11ed6b68e38e756f9f9.jpg

I got a new chemical from sculpt nouveau to try out. it’s fairly new product of theirs.

I am not a fan of it, and will be sticking with a14. But it really gives a rust color finish

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/d4d4b22bd688776d39deb81afc0a3a8a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/ba6ea19eb142c11ed6b68e38e756f9f9.jpg

Didn't even notice that it was a V2.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

5F995ED6-B2C9-4BC8-B9C6-8D392DCCBA1E.jpeg
Has anyone determined the actual size of this hex screw? The head stripped and I need to order a replacement (or a few)

- - - Updated - - -

B15892BF-3BDE-4305-B46D-A2CEAA635D2E.jpeg59954117-DCC9-4D7B-BFA4-73ACD89070D4.jpeg
I also started weathering the pommel- fairly pleased with my interpretation

lastly:
the mystery chunk IS ALUMINUM. In case anybody else thought otherwise... do not attempt to heat it up.

Yup! Those screws are m3 x 0.5

I didn’t have any luck finding them in stores, I ordered a bunch off amazon from a RC hobby shop

I'm trying to align the emitter and I am having trouble based on these pics. If you look at the alignment of the grub screws, they are different between the two.

lukesaberlineup1.jpg

lukesaberlineup2.jpg

I'm trying to align the emitter and I am having trouble based on these pics. If you look at the alignment of the grub screws, they are different between the two.

http://www.heycomputer.com/lukesaberlineup1.jpg

http://www.heycomputer.com/lukesaberlineup2.jpg

That's the back half.
there's two grubs
when you say you're trying to align the emitter, what are you trying to align it to? my stencils? if so, there are two red arrows that you should line up with the two grub screw holes. that's why you do the emitter plate stencil first. Then you line up the side wall stencils with it. so go 11,10,9,8

Thanks. I was just saying that if you align one of the screws up to match one photo, then it doesn't match the other one on the other side. I am using your stencils. I'm trying to align the side walls to the grub screws up top and with the rest of the saber.

I'm also using the builder's kit with the threaded emitter so it will only spin so much. If I start the stencil on the wrong side, it may not be lined up properly once I give it a few turns to attach it.

Last edited:

If you line the arrows up with the grub screws and then line the red lines up on the rest of the emitter stencils to the red line of the emitter plate stencil It'll work. I spent countless hours on exactly this one spot. Maybe go off of that rather than the photos?
unless I'm still not understanding what you mean.

did you watch Danny's tutorial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfPQMzj4ams&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

This is what I'm talking about:

lukesaberlineup4.jpg

lukesaberlineup3.jpg

oh. you have the grub screws on the emitter side lip in too far, preventing your emitter from spinning
The real prop has a motor in it and the emitter spun to help give the effect of a flickering blade back when Alec Guinness used it in ANH. Even though there is gaffer's tape on it the emitter STILL spins. So from one shot (Brandon's photo) to another (the Mark Hamil video) the emitter is in a different rotation. that's all.
The grub screws on your top emitter lip shouldn't press against the inner drum.

Those top lip grub screws are only to hold the emitter plate on. they do not go all the way in so that they hit or go into the holes of the inner drum.
my Gaffers tape adapter video actually shows pretty clearly how to assemble the emitter so it's tight but also spins freely

skip to about the 14 min mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have the builder's version. The emitter is two pieces. I just didn't realize that it still spun even though it had (ancient) tape on it. It's all good. Other than the stencil not fitting above the clamp correctly due to the builder kit being too tall in that area, everything else looks perfect. Weeding those stencils is pure torture though. :) Thanks again for making them and all your help. And also Halliwax. Great tutorial!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back