Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

SPEAKING OF prep, what tips do you have for prepping this, I think degreaser after the stencils are on would destroy the stencils and degreaser before the stencils would remove the aluminum black ageing...

Simple green didn’t hurt my finish? Thats a degreaser?

Also this is why I’m a firm believer on this is a better version of aluminum black, and a different entity

This stuff doesn’t come off... I’ve handled it for awhile. My friends he’s touching his every day..

This a14 sticks

I am hoping to have the stencil tutorial up tonight, but no promises. It will defiantly be up tomorrow though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stencil tutorial is up!! post 3!

today is mothers day, trying to get my buddy over here so we can stencil his and record it. if not we will record the next night i have off. if your still feeling uncomfortable about applying these stencils, just give me a few days until i get the video up

if it wasn't raining here today i would be painting...

SPEAKING OF prep, what tips do you have for prepping this, I think degreaser after the stencils are on would destroy the stencils and degreaser before the stencils would remove the aluminum black ageing...

I’ve just finished my chemical weathering and without thinking, gave it a spray with some brake fluid cleaner (quite a vicious degreaser). Everything seemed to stay on fine! I used Aluminium black instead of the A14, exactly the same way as Halliwax described and it seemed to work just as well.

I’ve just finished my chemical weathering and without thinking, gave it a spray with some brake fluid cleaner (quite a vicious degreaser). Everything seemed to stay on fine! I used Aluminium black instead of the A14, exactly the same way as Halliwax described and it seemed to work just as well.

I’ve used brake cleaner on most of my automotive parts before painting, that stuff cleans good. I also love the smell of it

C’mon sun... come out today please...

I got painting to do...

852d52de0750fdecb0046c557179aacc.jpg

C’mon sun... come out today please...

I got painting to do...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/852d52de0750fdecb0046c557179aacc.jpg

I made my self a hot box to paint in. It's just cardboard box turn on its side with halogen works lights pointing in the front to heat it up. Make some wood or pvc things to hold your item. And don't forget a thermometer! You don't want it too hot:lol

I made my self a hot box to paint in. It's just cardboard box turn on its side with halogen works lights pointing in the front to heat it up. Make some wood or pvc things to hold your item. And don't forget a thermometer! You don't want it too hot:lol

Too afraid to attempt that, I’ve always painted outside or in my dads heated shop in the city.

Too dangerous riding at night to get there... plus the way things are I may get robbed for my bike.. scary part of the city

Too afraid to attempt that, I’ve always painted outside or in my dads heated shop in the city.

Too dangerous riding at night to get there... plus the way things are I may get robbed for my bike.. scary part of the city

I did it my parents basement. Worked great. Just don't use metallic paints, the glitter gets everywhere! Where i live, summers are to short, and it's often to windy to paint outside.

I did it my parents basement. Worked great. Just don't use metallic paints, the glitter gets everywhere! Where i live, summers are to short, and it's often to windy to paint outside.

Are u in New England? That’s like us... hot weather for 3 months... right now this is out of the ordinary.. we are still in hooded sweatshirts

I just hope it’s not like last year, rain every day except 2 weeks in August... summer was 2 weeks long then cold again sucked

Do you happen to have a picture of this heat box you made?
It’s suppose to rain here again tomorrow.. I really want to throw some paint on this

9cc33cbf04b8a2ede1feca609fb6b3f6.jpg

I have one of these I use in my shed in the winter when working

But I remove all the gas tanks and push the lawnmower outside when this is running. Don’t want to blow up...

But with it raining outside my father would kill me if his mower was out in the rain LOL

20180514_074205.jpg
20180514_074212.jpg

I'm in Montana, where we have 4 seasons; summer, winter, hunting, and voting :lol

-----EDIT-----
halliwax I forgot to 'quote' you so you'd see this right away, sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Danny for those really nice info.

Tried the dishwasher trick with oxiclean
(thanks amazon.com because in europe its difficult to find it ... or an equivalent product).

After 1 round in the dishwasher, used some steel wool and the result is really nice. Pretty homogeneous.

Also did the dremel trick on the rod, and aluminium black to darken the mystery chunk (not happy with the result. Will try something else)

Need to adjust the length of the thread inside the emitter.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180512/13da5fae1348fef1be3c778dcaf606d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180512/eb9a7ddd61f44a8ceae34edeede8bbcc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180512/d51c42523066df4e8f1cebc2753552f4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180512/a3687a94eef83fb4e7f3aaff82fcb972.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180512/8719897398d33b5a113c37121ecbeaaf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180512/56f4fec13bbdd597abc76b126810f769.jpg

Wow that came out a lot more even than mine. For some reason I can only get a slightly yellowish or rainbow effect on my larger parts.

Wow that came out a lot more even than mine. For some reason I can only get a slightly yellowish or rainbow effect on my larger parts.
Works a bit too in my opinion.

The emitter section need to be aluminium again but i dont find any tips to recover it ... will sand it a bit and see whats next.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I got stuck working day and night tonight. Thankfully tonight sets up for tomorrow allowing me to have the night off, then it’s back to day and night for the next couple of days...

Anyway, my buddy and I are stenciling his tomorrow. So I will video the steps, hopefully they will make things a little bit easier to understand.

I tend to over complicate everything...

Guys, if you have any questions that I can answer by showing you in the video, ask here so I can make a list

I may have missed this elsewhere, but where are y'all getting your improved mystery chunks?

Are they included in Anakin Starkiller's newest offering?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

I may have missed this elsewhere, but where are y'all getting your improved mystery chunks?

Are they included in Anakin Starkiller's newest offering?

Included in the latest AS v2 run.

Maybe I'll just get myself a checkering file...

How many lines per inch is the question.

How did they find out the mystery chunk has checkering on it? I've skimmed through the research thread, but I must have missed it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back