Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 15, 2018, 9:01 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #101

Joek3rr said: View Post
    How did they find out the mystery chunk has checkering on it? I've skimmed through the research thread, but I must have missed it.
    Sshhhhhh its a secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    May 15, 2018, 9:03 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #102

But is the lpi a secret?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 15, 2018, 10:38 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #103

Dann said: View Post
    But is the lpi a secret?

Lpi? Lol? KFC? IHOP?

Never heard of lpi

4. Spends too much time here RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    May 15, 2018, 11:30 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #104

Lines per inch.

The knurling was confirmed by @scottjua from when he held it. Dan updated his mystery chunk to have knurling, but I donít think there was ever a definitive count of lines provided.
    May 15, 2018, 11:35 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #105

teecrooz said: View Post
    Lines per inch.

The knurling was confirmed by @scottjua from when he held it. Dan updated his mystery chunk to have knurling, but I don’t think there was ever a definitive count of lines provided.
    Wait someone here at the RPF got to hold it?!?!?!? Wow!!! I'm so envious right now.
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    May 15, 2018, 11:41 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #106

Brandon OWNS the dagummed thing for crying out loud!

May 15, 2018, 1:36 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #107

Dann said: View Post
    Brandon OWNS the dagummed thing for crying out loud!

I wonder if he'd like to take a vacation up where I live
    May 15, 2018, 2:00 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #108

Wow! Just wow! The level of detail and care you've taken is extraordinary, as well as the amazing write up and tutorial. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. Member Since
    Feb 2018
    May 15, 2018, 3:17 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #109

So whatís the process with the copper neck coloring? Do the stencil in black first and then copper highlights or reverse ???
  10. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 15, 2018, 3:42 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #110

Schepeey said: View Post
    So what’s the process with the copper neck coloring? Do the stencil in black first and then copper highlights or reverse ???
    I’m heading out as we speak to start filming the application of stencils

Then, hopefully Thursday the sun stays out after work and I’ll paint the black

As for the wind vane, I’ve have seen many ways of doing it..

I am defiantly going to leave the windvane stencils on when I apply the wind vane color. I just don’t know which way I’m going yet... I have a few pieces of scrap aluminum I will paint black at the same time I’m painting my V2, and try each technique on those samples..

Last edited by halliwax; Aug 7, 2018 at 9:57 PM.
  11. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 15, 2018, 3:43 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #111

Wait someone here at the RPF got to hold it?!?!?!? Wow!!! I'm so envious right now.
    Dude you seriously need to read the 800 page V2 thread from the beginning. Scott tells us a lot about it in that thread

There is a wealth of knowledge and comparison pics too, defiantly worth the read!!

Itís probably my favorite thread of all time on this site

May 15, 2018, 3:50 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #112

halliwax said: View Post
    Dude you seriously need to read the 800 page V2 thread from the beginning. Scott tells us a lot about it in that thread

There is a wealth of knowledge and comparison pics too, defiantly worth the read!!

It’s probably my favorite thread of all time on this site

I assume you are talking about Anakin's Starkiller's research thread, or is there dedicated V2 thread?
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    May 15, 2018, 5:46 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #113

I'm guessing it's something like 30 lines per inch.

That's just at a glance.

I only wanna have to get one checkering file, they're like $40 a pop.

From
    Virginia
    May 15, 2018, 6:33 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #114

I assume you are talking about Anakin's Starkiller's research thread, or is there dedicated V2 thread?
    https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...hlight=luke+v2
    May 15, 2018, 7:09 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #115

Thanks! 108 pages! whew, I'm not going to get any sleep tonight
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    May 15, 2018, 7:22 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #116

halliwax said: View Post
    As for the chopper neck, I’ve have seen many ways of doing it..

I am defiantly going to leave the windvane stencils on when I apply the copper. I just don’t know which way I’m going yet... I have a few pieces of scrap aluminum I will paint black at the same time I’m painting my V2, and try each technique on those samples..

In all honesty I’m seriously leaning towards dry brushing copper sharpie...

One thing to think of is if you plan on clear coating make sure it won’t react with the clear...

Enamel all the way baby!

Also, I dusted on rose gold and then dusted some flat black over that.

For the emitter I dusted on chrome paint and then flat black over that.

check out the last post here. Pretty close to that Alec Guinness photo!

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288775&page=3
  17. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 16, 2018, 1:06 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #117

thd9791 said: View Post
    Enamel all the way baby!

Also, I dusted on rose gold and then dusted some flat black over that.

For the emitter I dusted on chrome paint and then flat black over that.

check out the last post here. Pretty close to that Alec Guinness photo!

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288775&page=3
    damn tom! that came out beautiful!!!
  18. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    May 16, 2018, 8:51 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #118

Hey man, one trick that will REALLY help with the tricky parts of those stencils. when you pull up a section, if you fold it back on itself completely, forming a tight crease instead of lifting up, that tight crease will help separate the islands and their edges will stick out from the back side, letting you pin them down with tweezers or something. I saw you guys fighting them more than you had to by pulling UP, which just brings the islands up with them. So just like you do when you pull off the blue tape, fold it back on itself into a tight crease as you pull away to the side slowly and it'll be easier to grab those islands and hold them down.
  19. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    May 16, 2018, 9:18 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #119

Another trick you might want to make note of or even put text in your video.
    when setting your blue tape, MARK the red line but don't CUT at the red line. Give yourself a "tail" of tape.
    at 3:36 when you get to the end of your stencil and you're ready to pull the tape off so you can lay the other end down. Now is the time where you push the stencil down really tightly and burnish it from the backside so that it adheres really well to the V2. when you do that you won't have to use an exacto blade to get it started. just lift up on a corner of your "tail" and pull back tightly at that same extreme angle against itself. The Stencil will stay laying down flat and you won't have to fight to separate it
    so
    1. apply it gently so you can get it lined up but stop before you get to the end.
    2. rub it down with force and burnish it so it sticks well
    3. pull back the tail of first edge, tight against itself at a sharp angle so the stencil sticks
    4. lay the second edge down so the edges meet
    5. peel the rest of the tape off.
    Last edited by Trooper_trent; May 16, 2018 at 9:24 AM.
  20. Spends too much time here RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    May 16, 2018, 9:22 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #120

One thing I saw in @scottjua’s blaster stencil video was that he stuck the tape to his shirt or pants first before sticking it to the stencil. Picking up a little lint or fuzz helps the stencil transfer easier onto the surface of the saber, or blaster in Scott’s case.
  21. Member Since
    Feb 2018
    May 16, 2018, 9:48 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #121

Thanks a ton for this tutorial, going to make it much easier!
  22. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    May 16, 2018, 11:06 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #122

Hey, a tip for stencil number 5 since it's so thin and your least favorite. Once you apply your tape to it and peel it away from the paper backing, turn it over and cut it with scissors right up on the line of both edges. You can literally trim it so there is no blue on either side of the yellow. it'll be a super thin strip but it'll lay right down onto that lip without giving you any trouble. then once it's aligned, burnish it down onto the metal before peeling the blue tape off.
  23. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    May 16, 2018, 11:33 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #123

Danny! Dude, EXCELLENT job on the video tutorials! you nailed it. Very thorough, organized, and methodical.
    I made a little "supplemental" video on those couple of tips I mentioned just to kind of illustrate a small technique that will make applying them a little easier so you don't have to fight them so much when peeling the tape off. Feel free to use this in your list of videos (or don't) if it helps. Thank you so much for doing this man. I like how you just filmed the whole thing. It's almost like a little mini prop building party where we get to hang out with you and assemble a V2. Very fun.

24. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 16, 2018, 11:45 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #124

Awesome trent!! Iím gonna link that video as well!

I figured since each stencil kinda has its own characteristicís when installing, just to install each one and share my way of doing it

Really really appreciate the kind words, it means a lot coming from you. You ARE the stencil guy!!

Also donít understand how much I appreciate you doing this run for us, it wouldnít be complete with out it!

My buddy and I have been doing this for over 20 years now, we were screaming around with Halloween costumes and stuff when we were kids

And when we are playing with these new replicas today, one of us always says ď when kids we would have never thought we would actually have something like this when we got older..Ē

So stuff like this helps relive my childhood

The sucker though, he took a break and filmed his new apartment full of boba Fett and side show life sizes, but I canít find it on my phone he had to have filmed it on his... thatís a site to see as well

Once I get home Iím gonna link you video, thanks for everything man!

25. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 16, 2018, 11:48 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #125

Trooper_trent said: View Post
    Another trick you might want to make note of or even put text in your video.
    when setting your blue tape, MARK the red line but don't CUT at the red line. Give yourself a "tail" of tape.
    at 3:36 when you get to the end of your stencil and you're ready to pull the tape off so you can lay the other end down. Now is the time where you push the stencil down really tightly and burnish it from the backside so that it adheres really well to the V2. when you do that you won't have to use an exacto blade to get it started. just lift up on a corner of your "tail" and pull back tightly at that same extreme angle against itself. The Stencil will stay laying down flat and you won't have to fight to separate it
    so
    1. apply it gently so you can get it lined up but stop before you get to the end.
    2. rub it down with force and burnish it so it sticks well
    3. pull back the tail of first edge, tight against itself at a sharp angle so the stencil sticks
    4. lay the second edge down so the edges meet
    5. peel the rest of the tape off.
    This is excellent info!! Mind if I copy this and throw it in the tutorial?!