Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 12, 2018, 7:54 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #76

Sieg said: View Post
    I got flat black rustoleum with primer. Pretty much the same deal as the Krylon. Think itíll work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any paint will work. I just like this paint with a built in primer, because you can make the finish blotchy because of the built in primer

I donít know about flat though, it may be too flat. Before you do your stencils try it on your emitter.

Then remove all the paint with acetone. This way you can see if you like the finish

From
    Le Havre, France
    1 Week Ago  May 12, 2018, 8:45 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #77

Thanks Danny for those really nice info.

Tried the dishwasher trick with oxiclean
    (thanks amazon.com because in europe its difficult to find it ... or an equivalent product).

After 1 round in the dishwasher, used some steel wool and the result is really nice. Pretty homogeneous.

Also did the dremel trick on the rod, and aluminium black to darken the mystery chunk (not happy with the result. Will try something else)

Need to adjust the length of the thread inside the emitter.
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2018
    1 Week Ago  May 12, 2018, 3:59 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #78

Weathered mine stencils next first time using aliminium black thanks for the tutorial was a huge help

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 12, 2018, 4:02 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #79

Alittle tease....

1 Week Ago  May 12, 2018, 5:05 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #80

halliwax said: View Post
    Prep... Iíve never had a problem with any of my rattle cans
    SPEAKING OF prep, what tips do you have for prepping this, I think degreaser after the stencils are on would destroy the stencils and degreaser before the stencils would remove the aluminum black ageing...
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 12, 2018, 5:08 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #81

tomleech said: View Post
    SPEAKING OF prep, what tips do you have for prepping this, I think degreaser after the stencils are on would destroy the stencils and degreaser before the stencils would remove the aluminum black ageing...
    Simple green didnít hurt my finish? Thats a degreaser?

Also this is why Iím a firm believer on this is a better version of aluminum black, and a different entity

This stuff doesnít come off... Iíve handled it for awhile. My friends heís touching his every day..

This a14 sticks

I am hoping to have the stencil tutorial up tonight, but no promises. It will defiantly be up tomorrow though!!

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 9:51 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #82

stencil tutorial is up!! post 3!

today is mothers day, trying to get my buddy over here so we can stencil his and record it. if not we will record the next night i have off. if your still feeling uncomfortable about applying these stencils, just give me a few days until i get the video up

if it wasn't raining here today i would be painting...
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 2:15 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #83

stencil tutorial is up!! post 3!
    Excellent guide! Can't wait to get mine and stencil it up, these new versions look incredible
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Durham
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 2:48 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #84

tomleech said: View Post
    I’ve just finished my chemical weathering and without thinking, gave it a spray with some brake fluid cleaner (quite a vicious degreaser). Everything seemed to stay on fine! I used Aluminium black instead of the A14, exactly the same way as Halliwax described and it seemed to work just as well.
  10. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 13, 2018, 3:52 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #85

CWOODREPLICAS said: View Post
    Iíve just finished my chemical weathering and without thinking, gave it a spray with some brake fluid cleaner (quite a vicious degreaser). Everything seemed to stay on fine! I used Aluminium black instead of the A14, exactly the same way as Halliwax described and it seemed to work just as well.
    Iíve used brake cleaner on most of my automotive parts before painting, that stuff cleans good. I also love the smell of it

11. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 7:47 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #86

Címon sun... come out today please...

I got painting to do...

1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 8:03 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #87

C’mon sun... come out today please...

I got painting to do...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...557179aacc.jpg

I made my self a hot box to paint in. It's just cardboard box turn on its side with halogen works lights pointing in the front to heat it up. Make some wood or pvc things to hold your item. And don't forget a thermometer! You don't want it too hot
  13. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 8:16 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #88

Joek3rr said: View Post
    I made my self a hot box to paint in. It's just cardboard box turn on its side with halogen works lights pointing in the front to heat it up. Make some wood or pvc things to hold your item. And don't forget a thermometer! You don't want it too hot
    Too afraid to attempt that, Iíve always painted outside or in my dads heated shop in the city.

Too dangerous riding at night to get there... plus the way things are I may get robbed for my bike.. scary part of the city

1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 8:24 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #89

Too afraid to attempt that, I’ve always painted outside or in my dads heated shop in the city.

Too dangerous riding at night to get there... plus the way things are I may get robbed for my bike.. scary part of the city

I did it my parents basement. Worked great. Just don't use metallic paints, the glitter gets everywhere! Where i live, summers are to short, and it's often to windy to paint outside.
  15. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 8:29 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #90

Joek3rr said: View Post
    I did it my parents basement. Worked great. Just don't use metallic paints, the glitter gets everywhere! Where i live, summers are to short, and it's often to windy to paint outside.
    Are u in New England? Thatís like us... hot weather for 3 months... right now this is out of the ordinary.. we are still in hooded sweatshirts

I just hope itís not like last year, rain every day except 2 weeks in August... summer was 2 weeks long then cold again sucked

Do you happen to have a picture of this heat box you made?
    Itís suppose to rain here again tomorrow.. I really want to throw some paint on this

16. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 8:32 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #91

I have one of these I use in my shed in the winter when working

But I remove all the gas tanks and push the lawnmower outside when this is running. Donít want to blow up...

But with it raining outside my father would kill me if his mower was out in the rain LOL

1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 8:47 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #92

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180514_074205.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	816885
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180514_074212.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	816886

I'm in Montana, where we have 4 seasons; summer, winter, hunting, and voting

-----EDIT-----
    @halliwax I forgot to 'quote' you so you'd see this right away, sorry about that.
    Last edited by Joek3rr; 1 Week Ago at 9:15 AM.
    From
    Madison, WI
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 10:10 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #93

MakBzh said: View Post
    Thanks Danny for those really nice info.

Tried the dishwasher trick with oxiclean
    (thanks amazon.com because in europe its difficult to find it ... or an equivalent product).

After 1 round in the dishwasher, used some steel wool and the result is really nice. Pretty homogeneous.

Also did the dremel trick on the rod, and aluminium black to darken the mystery chunk (not happy with the result. Will try something else)

Need to adjust the length of the thread inside the emitter.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8dcaf606d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...deede8bbcc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c2753552f4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ff82fcb972.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...121ecbeaaf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...126810f769.jpg

Wow that came out a lot more even than mine. For some reason I can only get a slightly yellowish or rainbow effect on my larger parts.
    From
    Le Havre, France
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 1:23 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #94

Kylash said: View Post
    Wow that came out a lot more even than mine. For some reason I can only get a slightly yellowish or rainbow effect on my larger parts.
    Works a bit too in my opinion.

The emitter section need to be aluminium again but i dont find any tips to recover it ... will sand it a bit and see whats next.
  20. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 9:39 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #95

Sorry for the late reply guys, I got stuck working day and night tonight. Thankfully tonight sets up for tomorrow allowing me to have the night off, then itís back to day and night for the next couple of days...

Anyway, my buddy and I are stenciling his tomorrow. So I will video the steps, hopefully they will make things a little bit easier to understand.

I tend to over complicate everything...

21. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 9:59 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #96

Guys, if you have any questions that I can answer by showing you in the video, ask here so I can make a list

From
    Atlanta, GA
    1 Week Ago  May 14, 2018, 10:49 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #97

I may have missed this elsewhere, but where are y'all getting your improved mystery chunks?

Are they included in Anakin Starkiller's newest offering?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 5:52 AM - Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #98

Dann said: View Post
    I may have missed this elsewhere, but where are y'all getting your improved mystery chunks?

Are they included in Anakin Starkiller's newest offering?

Included in the latest AS v2 run.

From
    Atlanta, GA
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 6:13 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #99

Maybe I'll just get myself a checkering file...

How many lines per inch is the question.

1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 8:21 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial #100

How did they find out the mystery chunk has checkering on it? I've skimmed through the research thread, but I must have missed it.