Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

I've start the sourcing for all the stuff needed, especially chemicals products... and unfortunatly sculpt nouveau doesn't ship to France ... -_-'

Will need to find an another seller.

This tutorial is awesome...many thanks!

Once I will tackle my new (and hopefully final) V2, I will try to pay attention to all your tips and tricks.

The only thing I´ll probably do different is NOT adding all the physical damage to the saber.
I personally prefer the look of a prop "as seen on screen" and not as it is now. That´s a BIG issue for all of us prop-builders, since many reference pictures are taken -decades- AFTER filming and show details, which are not present on the pop at the actual time of filming.

In the end it all depends on what YOU want a prop to look like/ what character you want to give it...my personal stuff will be an amalgation of details most of the times.

Keep the pics/ posts coming halliwax, it is going to be EPIC!

I've start the sourcing for all the stuff needed, especially chemicals products... and unfortunatly sculpt nouveau doesn't ship to France ... -_-'

Will need to find an another seller.

There was another guy on here that used black leather dye.

It worked out pretty good for him, when we talked I feared they wouldn’t ship over seas because they don’t ship liquids by air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This tutorial is awesome...many thanks!

Once I will tackle my new (and hopefully final) V2, I will try to pay attention to all your tips and tricks.

The only thing I´ll probably do different is NOT adding all the physical damage to the saber.
I personally prefer the look of a prop "as seen on screen" and not as it is now. That´s a BIG issue for all of us prop-builders, since many reference pictures are taken -decades- AFTER filming and show details, which are not present on the pop at the actual time of filming.

In the end it all depends on what YOU want a prop to look like/ what character you want to give it...my personal stuff will be an amalgation of details most of the times.

Keep the pics/ posts coming halliwax, it is going to be EPIC!

Thanks for the kind words! I know what you mean about the physical damage. I couldn’t bring myself to damage my first V2 from dans first run. I did the pommel and threw it down my driveway a few times, but I just couldn’t bring myself to dent the emitter

This time around I said “what the hell” and just did it lol

I can’t vouch for the pommel being screwed up in RoTJ. But you can see the emitter all screwed up in the emperors hand, and when Luke walks the catwalk you can see it really good all dented up

I can’t wait to get paint on this, dying to see the rings, I think that really makes the saber pop

Thanks Danny!! Great tutorial. Especially the heating before the hammering of the emitter is a good tip. For the chemical aging I will be using the caustic soda, which is a dangerous process as well!

Yes it's almost for security restriction.

I already bought aluminium black in little bottle (3oz) but it comes by road and in a little quantity ... As it's a "commercial product" and not a professional one like sculpt nouveau said, i'll need to have to make a stronger mix.

Thanks for the advice, will take an eye on it :)

Yes it's almost for security restriction.

I already bought aluminium black in little bottle (3oz) but it comes by road and in a little quantity ... As it's a "commercial product" and not a professional one like sculpt nouveau said, i'll need to have to make a stronger mix.

Thanks for the advice, will take an eye on it :)

Try using that with a 3:1 mix and my steps, see if it will come out with this grey patina like I got.

The guy I talked to said it’s 2 different animals, but a friend of mine said the guy he talked to said it’s the same exact product

Thanks Danny!! Great tutorial. Especially the heating before the hammering of the emitter is a good tip. For the chemical aging I will be using the caustic soda, which is a dangerous process as well!

Roy I would love to see how that comes out!!

That ratio has proven itself to me! Be sure to wear goggles, gloves and mask! This is some nasty stuff.

Turns my stomach when around it, it started down pouring today so we moved everything inside my shed. Put a fan in the window and it still stunk..

Ya it's some nasty stuff. Once I'm home from vacation it'll be time to get started.

Hoping to do the 'carbonite' dip on my next day off but I've been beating up the rest of the saber in the meantime using Danny's techniques along with some extra 'kicking around the drive' general light weathering :D Managed to use the vice at work today to dent up the emitter and I'm pretty happy with how it looks, managed to match the FX emitter pretty well too:

IMG_8159.jpg

That looks great tom!!!

Hoping to do the 'carbonite' dip on my next day off but I've been beating up the rest of the saber in the meantime using Danny's techniques along with some extra 'kicking around the drive' general light weathering :D Managed to use the vice at work today to dent up the emitter and I'm pretty happy with how it looks, managed to match the FX emitter pretty well too:

View attachment 814911

And here I was fighting with the shop over and over, telling them that i wouldn't accept any parts that hadn't received white glove treatment:lol

And here I was fighting with the shop over and over, telling them that i wouldn't accept any parts that hadn't received white glove treatment:lol

Hehe, I'd probably have been fine with some of the pieces being dinged up ...but only if they were dinged up in the right way... other people will want to do an AFBB version or just do the 'weathered' paint without any physical damage so your fighting wasn't in vain, I just want to go the whole way with 'accurate' weathering this time :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone have some clear stills of the emitter as it was in RoTJ? Thinking of going for the more screen accurate look versus how the prop looks now.

Does anyone have some clear stills of the emitter as it was in RoTJ? Thinking of going for the more screen accurate look versus how the prop looks now.

exactly the same, i never believed it until i really looked at it in ROTJ.

8Aw7nYY.jpg

hp0yITr.jpg

CpMhNFi.jpg

ZUbwSVU.jpg

QEKrzOO.jpg

93DcJ1b.jpg

these dents are probably from the dueling after ANH. we have seen it through out ESB used heavily, the dueling rods from an opposing lightsaber stunt could have dented this emitter.

can only imagine what it would do to your hand... we know there was plenty of accidents while practice dueling, mark hamill severely damaging this thumb or finger i forgot, but it halted production for awhile.

i also dont think the V3 served as much time as a dueling saber because her emitter is still in decent shape.

i found it very hard to believe the emitter was damaged in ROTJ until i really looked, couldn't believe i over looked this all these years..

That emperor's chair shot really does make it look like a deliberate chamfer ala AS's first few runs. It's petty amazing how close to the filming condition the saber is still in. Is interesting to note that in the sand storm shots, there is much more paint on the saber, but by the time you get to the death star and Ewok village stuff, everything matches nearly 1:1. My guess is that it probably was stored in a non-temperature controlled room, and that the heating and cooling over the years in storage started to loosen the paint in areas where the primer didn't bite into the metal as well. They busted it out again for filming, and initially most of the paint is there, but the loosened paint flaked off pretty soon after it started being handled again. The paint that remains is probably stuck on there pretty well.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Examining the dents, it looks like a 3/4 or 5/8 rod/pole could replicate the dent

I can only imagine the sword fencers hand though... gotta hurts like hell when the blades slip

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back