Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2018
    Messages
    5
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 12:52 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #26

    I think it's a camera lens for 2 way visual communication.
  2. RPF Premium Member Nemesis9's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Messages
    157
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 12:57 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #27

    Yeah, I think you're right. And I also think I'm going to do something similar to your build, with it being a button on mine.

    Gemini11 said: View Post
    I've been thinking of it as a thumb scanner in the movie, but it will be a button on mine. That's how I play on turning on the electronics I showed in an earlier post.
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 12:57 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #28

    wayn3w said: View Post
    I think it's a camera lens for 2 way visual communication.
    I assumed the top part was. It has a dot in the middle that makes it look like a camera to me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam Circled.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	924.2 KB 
ID:	817138
  4. RPF Premium Member bobatrek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Spring Hill, TN
    Messages
    2,173
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 3:30 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #29

    New info from https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-an-up-...inf-1826043950



    Quick read of it:

    Look at it, in all its beaten up, probably-now-Samuel-L.-Jackson-dust-covered glory! It turns out, according to Schulzówho works at RISE, one of several VFX studios that worked on the filmóthe beeper was never actually a practical prop. It was entirely CG, as was a lot of the post-credits scene surprisingly, beyond, you know, the obvious bits like people turning into dust.
  5. RPF Premium Member Nemesis9's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Messages
    157
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 3:55 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #30

    I took that as a button, with some of it's color rubbed off

    Gemini11 said: View Post
    I assumed the top part was. It has a dot in the middle that makes it look like a camera to me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam Circled.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	924.2 KB 
ID:	817138
    - - - Updated - - -

    Awesome stuff, thank you bobatrek! You win the internet for today, great find.



    bobatrek said: View Post
    New info from https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-an-up-...inf-1826043950

    https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...cbgu6yyvji.png

    Quick read of it:

    Look at it, in all its beaten up, probably-now-Samuel-L.-Jackson-dust-covered glory! It turns out, according to Schulz—who works at RISE, one of several VFX studios that worked on the film—the beeper was never actually a practical prop. It was entirely CG, as was a lot of the post-credits scene surprisingly, beyond, you know, the obvious bits like people turning into dust.
  6. breen2057's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    Killoughrim, ireland
    Messages
    1,121
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 4:23 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #31

    bobatrek said: View Post
    New info from https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-an-up-...inf-1826043950

    https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...cbgu6yyvji.png

    Quick read of it:

    Look at it, in all its beaten up, probably-now-Samuel-L.-Jackson-dust-covered glory! It turns out, according to Schulz—who works at RISE, one of several VFX studios that worked on the film—the beeper was never actually a practical prop. It was entirely CG, as was a lot of the post-credits scene surprisingly, beyond, you know, the obvious bits like people turning into dust.
    you beat me to it.

    from the same article showing some of the back of the beeper.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avengers3_RISE_ITW_11A.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	817191
  7. Dr. Grant RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 1999
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Messages
    6,501
    5 Days Ago  May 15, 2018, 8:35 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #32

    But what about THIS?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avengers3_RISE_ITW_12B.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	817231  
  8. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Messages
    384
    5 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 12:31 AM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #33

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FbfnlHSrjH4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	817260
  9. Member Since
    May 2018
    Messages
    9
    5 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 1:16 AM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #34

    Wow, how did you get so much detail out of that image? That is incredible!
  10. xl97's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Messages
    1,864
    4 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 2:38 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #35

    Gemini11 said: View Post
    Between designing and printing parts, I've been working on the electronics. I've been using an Arduino nano with a TFT screen to recreate the animation from the movie. This combination is too slow, you can see in the video I've linked.

    I have some new parts on the way that are supposed to be faster. I just wanted to see if anyone knew how to make an Arduino load images faster since it is cheaper than the other option I'm trying.




    Nice! (I Like when people add electronics to props.. soooooooo ANTI static-props now-a-days!)

    Maybe try a different Arduino variant.. the 328x series doesnt have a lot of memory...

    How are you currently loading them to the TFT?
  11. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    4 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 3:04 PM - Re: Infinity War: Device (spoilers) #36

    xl97 said: View Post
    Nice! (I Like when people add electronics to props.. soooooooo ANTI static-props now-a-days!)

    Maybe try a different Arduino variant.. the 328x series doesnt have a lot of memory...

    How are you currently loading them to the TFT?
    Thank you!

    In the video, I'm using a basic program to cycle through the pictures, kind of like a slide show. The program pulls from an SD card attached to the TFT. Is that kind of what you were wanting to know?

    I have a new microcontroller coming in today that I'll mess with after work.
  12. xl97's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Messages
    1,864
    4 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 4:10 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #37

    Yeah.. exactly what I was asking.. (I havent played with TFT screens much)...

    but I wasnt clear if it was just static image cycled in after static image...etc

    So does the Arduino send this data? or is there like an SD card on the back of the TFT screen to hold the images?..etc?

    Maybe a link to your specific TFT screen your using?

    Also.. what new micro controller did you go with?

    Not that you NEED the wifi capabilities of an ESP8266 module..(or would you?) LOL...... but they are pretty powerful with more memory too..
  13. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    4 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 4:27 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #38

    Yeah they were just static images. It wouldnít load fast enough for a video.

    I went with a teensy. From what Iíve seen, they can load images faster. Which would get rid of that scroll loading process for each image.

    The SD card slot is on the TFT and loads from pin IO on the TFT board. I have a new screen coming in today too thatís larger. Iím replying on my phone so I donít have the link but Iíll get that to you when Iím off work.

    I donít think youíd need WiFi on the board, but I guess it could be used for updating? If this one isnít fast enough Iíll look into that one!
  14. xl97's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Messages
    1,864
    4 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 9:12 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #39

    I think the Teensy will be fast enough....

    I'm just not clear if the bottle neck is on the micro controller side or the TFT side.. (especially if its loading from a local SD socket)
  15. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    4 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 11:13 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #40

    xl97 said: View Post
    I think the Teensy will be fast enough....

    I'm just not clear if the bottle neck is on the micro controller side or the TFT side.. (especially if its loading from a local SD socket)
    When I looked up how to make my setup faster all I could find was that it couldn't go fast enough because of the Arduino. If someone can figure out how to make it faster with the Arduino it would make it cheaper.

    I've seen the teensy work with the screen I just got and it loaded pretty fast. I hope to have that working by tomorrow. I'll show it as soon as I have it working.

    I haven't gotten a chance to try this screen yet but this is the one I just got in to use with the teensy. You can probably find it cheaper on eBay if you want to wait for it to come in from China.
    Link to the new screen: https://goo.gl/XsX9be
  16. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    3 Days Ago  May 17, 2018, 5:32 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #41

    Just wanted to give an update on the electronics. I have the Teensy working with my new TFT screen. I couldn't get the sd card reader on the screen to work. After researching it, I figured out they don't really make them work for some reason. For now, I have my sd card reader from my old screen hooked up, but I have some sd card reader modules coming in soon.

    You can see from the video that it's still scrolling to load. I'm looking at some new libraries to increase the speed so it's not so noticeable. If anyone knows any that will make images just pop on the screen that would be great!

    *Updated video below*





    *Update*
    I've already added a new library but I just added it to this post since it was really quick. The loading is faster in this video but is still not as fast as I'd like. Leaving the older video for comparison.



    Last edited by Gemini11; 3 Days Ago at 7:04 PM.
  17. Member Since
    May 2018
    Messages
    9
    2 Days Ago  May 19, 2018, 8:00 AM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #42

    Gemini11 said: View Post
    You can see from the video that it's still scrolling to load. I'm looking at some new libraries to increase the speed so it's not so noticeable. If anyone knows any that will make images just pop on the screen that would be great!
    Howdy, seeing as I've got a reasonable amount of Arduino & SPD5408 TFT experience, and also I'm also building the same project, thought I'd chime in. I think you're going to have issues getting it to pop onto the screen. Unfortunately due to the tiny amount of memory on an Arduino, images are read in a filestream from SD card, in a buffer of X pixels at a time, and the default setting on the SPD5408/TFT library is 20 pixels. While this buffer can be increased, I haven't found it to have a dramatic impact on performance. Faster chips may improve this more significantly, but you'll still be constrained by how the library operates and the constraints imposed by low memory on Arduino systems.

    Two potential alternatives:
    1) Store the BMP as ascii data inside the sketch. This should make it very quick, but I suspect will not be an option simply due to BMP size and memory constraints.
    2) Use the SPD5408/TFT Libraries in order to draw objects and text directly to the LCD. This will be ultra quick, and given the simplicity of the images, very achievable. This was probably how I was going to do it on mine.

    Apologies if any of this is irrelevant for your Teensy or the model of TFT used here. Hope it helps, love the project!
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    1 Day Ago  May 19, 2018, 10:32 AM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #43

    mrhodes said: View Post
    Howdy, seeing as I've got a reasonable amount of Arduino & SPD5408 TFT experience, and also I'm also building the same project, thought I'd chime in. I think you're going to have issues getting it to pop onto the screen. Unfortunately due to the tiny amount of memory on an Arduino, images are read in a filestream from SD card, in a buffer of X pixels at a time, and the default setting on the SPD5408/TFT library is 20 pixels. While this buffer can be increased, I haven't found it to have a dramatic impact on performance. Faster chips may improve this more significantly, but you'll still be constrained by how the library operates and the constraints imposed by low memory on Arduino systems.

    Two potential alternatives:
    1) Store the BMP as ascii data inside the sketch. This should make it very quick, but I suspect will not be an option simply due to BMP size and memory constraints.
    2) Use the SPD5408/TFT Libraries in order to draw objects and text directly to the LCD. This will be ultra quick, and given the simplicity of the images, very achievable. This was probably how I was going to do it on mine.

    Apologies if any of this is irrelevant for your Teensy or the model of TFT used here. Hope it helps, love the project!
    I was actually looking into the storing the pictures in the code and forgot all about it, so I'll have to try that soon! The only problem I ran into with that is the limit of how many colors you can have and how detailed the images can be. I've moved on from the Arduino due to the speed reasons.

    Is that the 2.8" screen? If so, it's a little big for my design right now and I'm not sure if the libraries would transfer over easily with my screen, but I'll be looking into that too!
  19. Member Since
    May 2018
    Messages
    9
    1 Day Ago  May 19, 2018, 6:07 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #44

    Gemini11 said: View Post
    Is that the 2.8" screen? If so, it's a little big for my design right now and I'm not sure if the libraries would transfer over easily with my screen, but I'll be looking into that too!
    SPD5408 is a pretty common TFT. The ones I have are 2.4" screens on a shield. I mention SPD5408 in particular, because there is a large community driven library that has been released specifically for the SPD5408 that enhances the capabilities over what is available in the Adafruit TFT module.

    If you're looking at using Adafruit GFX library for drawing the images in code, it should have 16 bit colour, and would be a pretty simple matter of either drawing shapes, lines or individual pixels. This would be probably the easiest and fastest method as no SD Card required, and should be extremely quick to render.
  20. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    16 Hours Ago  May 20, 2018, 3:18 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #45

    mrhodes said: View Post
    SPD5408 is a pretty common TFT. The ones I have are 2.4" screens on a shield. I mention SPD5408 in particular, because there is a large community driven library that has been released specifically for the SPD5408 that enhances the capabilities over what is available in the Adafruit TFT module.

    If you're looking at using Adafruit GFX library for drawing the images in code, it should have 16 bit colour, and would be a pretty simple matter of either drawing shapes, lines or individual pixels. This would be probably the easiest and fastest method as no SD Card required, and should be extremely quick to render.
    Can you post the links or other resources for doing this?
  21. Member Since
    May 2018
    Messages
    9
    11 Hours Ago  May 20, 2018, 8:35 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #46

    Gemini11 said: View Post
    Can you post the links or other resources for doing this?
    The Arduino IDE should have some example sketches anyway under "TFT", however if it doesn't give this a try http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henr...els-and-lines/

    I might try to code something up that would suit both our purposes tonight anyway.
  22. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    14
    9 Hours Ago  May 20, 2018, 10:13 PM - Re: Infinity War: Cosmic Pager #47

    mrhodes said: View Post
    The Arduino IDE should have some example sketches anyway under "TFT", however if it doesn't give this a try http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henr...els-and-lines/

    I might try to code something up that would suit both our purposes tonight anyway.
    Thank you! I'll be trying it out soon! I've been really wrapped up in stuff recently so I haven't been able to work on it much.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: Feb 5, 2018, 4:23 PM
  2. Spoilers new infinity war gauntlet
    infinity00, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 16, 2017, 9:44 AM