Removing blue ink from an Oblivion prop

Tom

Hi everyone,

I have a screen-used and screen-matched Oblivion prop whose inside is coated with a lot of blue ink. My friend says he recognizes the case as some sort of toner chamber so he’s not surprised with the spill. In the movie, the case is closed so you never see the inside. I’ve had this prop since the movie was released (2013), and the ink is still as wet as the day I got it! That’s right, much of it is wet to the touch and still comes off on your hands. I would appreciate the expertise and experience of this group to help me determine the best and easiest way (if it’s even possible) to remove the ink. At the very least, I want to get it to the point where it’s not wet anymore so I can sell it or display it without it being on a towel. Thank you!

IMG_0559.jpgIMG_0563.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0582.jpgOblivion Screen Match 1.45.45.jpg

What's the material of the case? I'd say do a test with a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol on one of the dry-ish spots and see what happens, and also dab all of the wetter areas to soak up what you can. In any case, if you want it 100% clean, you've got a lot of work ahead of you, but if you just want to stabilize it, I'd say a) soak up the excess and b) keep it open in a well ventilated space for a good long while.

I think I've identified the ite - carrying case for Risograph Z Type color drums.

Last edited:
What's the material of the case? I'd say do a test with a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol on one of the dry-ish spots and see what happens, and also dab all of the wetter areas to soak up what you can. In any case, if you want it 100% clean, you've got a lot of work ahead of you, but if you just want to stabilize it, I'd say a) soak up the excess and b) keep it open in a well ventilated space for a good long while.

I think I've identified the ite - carrying case for Risograph Z Type color drums.
PlasticSoul Thanks for the advice, and for identifying the case! It is indeed a Risograph Z carrying case! You're a boss! :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
As per PlasticSoul's advice - use isopropyl alcohol. Spray on an affected area and dab with a towel.
I have removed black ink from a cream carpet with this method and it left no trace. Obviously, try on an inconspicuous place first as YMMV.

Ink might be difficult to remove (specially if it's professional printing ink) they have strong mixes and sometimes, aniline is added to those mixes (stick better on some types of papers/plastics,etc). Try several products (as some have suggested above): alcohol, turpentine, acetone. As for the dent, you could try a bit of hot water and when the surface is hot, push the dent back out. Good luck.

Ink might be difficult to remove (specially if it's professional printing ink) they have strong mixes and sometimes, aniline is added to those mixes (stick better on some types of papers/plastics,etc). Try several products (as some have suggested above): alcohol, turpentine, acetone. As for the dent, you could try a bit of hot water and when the surface is hot, push the dent back out. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice on the ink. The dent needs to stay, lol. I circled the dent on the prop and the screenshot to screen match it. It's something no one would ever notice in the movie unless they had that particular piece. in fact, a screen match would have been impossible WITHOUT the dent. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the telltale mark. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back