Star Wars Resistance new animated series...

One arguement I keep seeing is that "it's for kids", as if that gives it a pass for poor animation and lacking strong stories. Kids aren't stupid, and I hate that producers treat their child audiences as such. There's plenty of ways to make a good children's show without resorting to infantilism. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" being one such example. It's a kids show. You can clearly tell that it has the goofy comedic elements of a kids show. But in spite of that the animation is still well done, the characters are very well rounded, and the plotlines dont dumb it down for the kiddies. When I heard we were getting a SW anime, I was hoping for that. Instead we've got Speed Racer the Next Generation in Space.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-recruit-episode-guide-star-wars-resistance

“The Recruit” Episode Guide – Star Wars Resistance

Go inside the premiere installment of the new animated series with behind-the-scenes facts, concept art, and more!

the-recruit-episode-guide-featured.jpg

// OCTOBER 8, 2018
Star Wars Resistance is here! The animated series follows Kazuda “Kaz” Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. Visit StarWars.com following each episode for a full guide featuring fun facts, galleries, and more.
Welcome to the Resistance! A new era of Star Wars animation has begun with “The Recruit,” the two-part series premiere of Star Wars Resistance.
Episode: “The Recruit”
Original Air Date: October 7, 2018
Supervising Director: Justin Ridge
Story: Dave Filoni
Directors: Steward Lee and Saul Ruiz
Writer: Brandon Auman
The Basics
Poe Dameron assigns the gifted but green Resistance pilot Kazuda “Kaz” Xiono to an undercover mission: he will pose as a racer on the Colossus, a massive refueling platform on the Outer Rim ocean planet Castellon. Sources tell the Resistance that someone on Castellon is helping the First Order, and Kaz must find out who it is. On the Colossus, Kaz meets Yeager, Tam, Neeku, and their trusty, slightly rusty astromech, Bucket — together, they form Team Fireball, named for Kaz’s ship.
Introducing: Bucket’s List
Bucket’s List Extra
xwing-resistance-1024x576.jpg

• The X-wings in the opening sequence are the T-85 model — the latest version of the craft first introduced as the T-65 in the original Star Wars. The X-wings seen in the Resistance are a slightly older model, the T-70.
kaz-resistance-cockpit-1024x576.jpg

• Early notes about Kaz’s character describe him as “like a bird, hopping around clumsily on the ground, but put him in the air and he is awesome.”
tie-fighter-hyperdrive-resistance-1024x576.jpg

• Hyperdrive-equipped TIE fighters were a rarity in the days of the Galactic Empire, but the current technology of the First Order makes it possible, especially in high-end models like Major Vonreg’s ship.
kaz-new-republic-crest-1024x576.jpg

• The New Republic crest was first described in the Aftermath series of novels; this is its first on-screen appearance.
resistance-race-1024x576.jpg

• Greg Proops returns to Star Wars to voice a race announcer, but it’s not the two-headed announcer from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace’s podrace. Although the voice is the same, it’s more akin to a copycat invoking a classic announcer style.
torra-doza-stats-1024x576.jpg

• Torra Doza’s stats, translated from Aurebesh, list the following:
    • Time in Top 5 – 100%
    • Challenge Rate – 87%
    • Finishes – 100%
    • Wins – 100%
    • Wins By Disqualification – 100%
    • Top Speed – 92%
flix-orca-shop-1024x576.jpg

• The sign outside the shop that Flix and Orka run identifies it as “OFFICE OF ACQUISITIONS.”
kaz-gorg-resistance-1024x576.jpg

• Gorgs were first introduced in the Mos Espa street market sequence of The Phantom Menace. A hapless Jar Jar Binks tried to eat a gorg from an angry vendor without paying for it first.
Databank

Episode Gallery
Concept Art
resistance-the-recruit-concept-art-02-1-1024x768.jpg
Poe Dameron full character illustration by JP Balmet.
resistance-the-recruit-concept-art-01-1024x651.jpg
Kaz Xiono full character illustration by JP Balmet.
resistance-the-recruit-concept-art-04-1-1024x768.jpg
Torra Doza full character illustration by Amy Beth Christenson.
resistance-the-recruit-concept-art-05-1-1024x577.jpg
Early series concept art by Polygon Pictures.
resistance-the-recruit-concept-art-06-1-1024x685.jpg
Character and location study by Amy Beth Christenson.
Star Wars Resistance airs Sundays at 10 p.m. ET/PT on Disney Channel.
StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.
TAGS:Star Wars Resistance (2018), SWS, The Recruit

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the first three episodes last night, got to say I'm not a fan.

The animation like a lot of you have said is shocking, to say the least, it just looks lazy.

We have had shows over the years like the Simpsons, Futurama, Transformers, TMNT, the animated Ghostbusters, I can go on but I'll bore you all. My point is, all these shows are aimed at child audiences but they either have a message attached to them (thinking G.I. Joe now) or some humor in there that adults will understand.

Thought, time and effort went into these programs and it shows.

This abomination is boring, looks cheap and also looks like it has no direction.

I'll read the reviews after the first season is done but I know anyone on here would have put out better than what Disney has.

I managed to watch the first episode. Not feeling it yet. I’m still hopeful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got them all in and really enjoyed it. I think it’s for a younger market but with fam service and racing. First order stuff to come keeps the addiction real.

I saw a commercial showing scenes that involve more interaction with the First Order. It is my hope that this is just a slow set up and once they get rolling, there will be more interesting stories and action. Still waiting to get hooked.

I don't mind the animation. I actually like it better that the Clone Wars style. I loved that show but never a fan of that style. That in no way ever affected my enjoyment of the show. It would be ridiculous for me to not watch a show based on animation style.

The animation doesn’t bother me, I kinda like it. Seems like everything has little scratch marks on it showing its “used” look

I’m more interested in the upcoming clone wars

I seriously wonder why they started this show though... Rebels they used to tie into rogue one

What’s this one all about? You know the second I stop watching the second some big reveal will happen or something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general terms, this is around the time the First Order starts going public. Main character is out undercover to see what he can find out about this mysterious group Leia found evidence of. Given the run-in with Vonreg, he definitely knows something's up. I have a feeling we'll end up learning a lot more about the First Order over the course of the series.

I watched the first two episodes. The first one was a total bore. That being said, I love the ship designs. And the race at the end was fun.

The second one was a touch better.

I have to say that as simple and childish as this is, the writing is not nearly as hackneyed as rebels was. Rebels had some great episodes, but in the whole, it was pretty shoddy.

The humour works better here. It's more natural.

And what I really like about this show is that it isn't as concerned with building itself with 'memberberries. In all honesty, they could avoid the first order altogether and turn this into the DS9 of the star wars franchise

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have to say that as simple and childish as this is, the writing is not nearly as hackneyed as rebels was. Rebels had some great episodes, but in the whole, it was pretty shoddy.

The humour works better here. It's more natural.

The Rebel comments aside, I did rewatch the episodes last night with my son and I was able to focus more on the dialog. I have to agree that there was some really good banter between characters. Not sure everyone can appreciate it.

If there was one thing I'd hoped for on this it's that I wanted it to be years before TFA, not months

Rebels did a very good job linking the clone wars to the OT, and I don't think this will be much of a link in that way.

Perhaps I wish that it wasn't even linked to the ST. maybe I would prefer that it was off on it's own. Which is what the premise lends itself toward. It seems like a stretch to connect this fueling station to the interests of the first order

Last edited:
Everything's a stretch until it isn't. Including in Star Wars, I remember quite a few similar sentiments over the last forty years of fandom. You want something less coupled to the ST? Set years before it? The Mandalorian. Seriously. They're ongoingly nibbling around the edges -- a bit more post-ROTJ, a bit more pre-TFA... Except for some of what Inferno Squad was up to in there, we still have a good two decades in the middle of all this that's still largely a mystery, presently, and I'm personally enjoying the anticipation of what's going to get revealed next.

I'm curious to see what happens with Hera and Jacen, with Ahsoka and Sabine, with Rex, with Ezra, with Thrawn... To see more of Poe's backstory, what happened to the Force tree he grew up near on Yavin IV, what happened to the one at Luke's training center... We'll get there when we get there. I plan to enjoy the ride.

Just watched the third episode. I really like it.

The kids love it too. Rebels had a lot of pointless "pew pew" stuff and this is avoiding that.

Have I mentioned that I love the racer ships? I can't wait to see where this goes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back