Star Wars Resistance new animated series...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-...ts-and-will-cross-over-with-the-force-awakens

Star Wars Resistance harbors crazy deep cuts and will cross over with The Force Awakens

Bryan Young

Star Wars Resistance is a television show unlike anything else you've seen in the animated Star Wars world. Unlike Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it doesn't revolve around a massive war — it's set before the real with the First Order begins. Unlike Star Wars Rebels, there's not much to rebel against. In Resistance, the New Republic is well-established and the First Order is but a whisper on the lips of those who believe it exists.

Most significantly, there doesn't seem to be a Jedi — or even a Force user — anywhere in sight.

So what can we expect of Resistance? SYFY WIRE spoke with some of the series' creators, producers, and actor Bobby Moynihan to get to the bottom of what makes Resistance such a different story compared to others set in a galaxy far, far away.
Series previews have been pretty explicit about its focus on pilots. But what will those pilots be doing?

Racing. Lots of racing.

Racing is vital to the Star Wars universe. Podracing, introduced in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, brought us the first taste of sports in Star Wars and, after his retirement as a general, Han Solo took up ship racing in the years before his son turned to the dark side. But in Resistance, that's what life revolves around. The series revolves around Colossus, which cast member Bobby Moynihan described to SYFY WIRE as a kind of galactic truck stop.

"It's like a floating Cantina... It's just like this place where you fix your ship, you go get gas, you go get food," Moynihan says. "All of the Star Wars we've seen before is about the Force and the Skywalker family in some capacity, and this is about all the guys that will drink at the cantina afterward."

The show definitely has a lot of deep cuts from the canon, both as joke references and serious moments. For example, Greg Proops, who portrayed half of the double-headed podracing announcer Fode and Beed in The Phantom Menace, comes back to announce races on the Colossus as a character named Jak Sivrak. Jak Sivrak is a play on the name Lak Sivrak, the wolf man from the Cantina scene in A New Hope who was replaced in the Special Edition of the movie.
Moynihan himself plays a character named Orka, a Chadra Fan, which is the same species as the little bat-like creature Kabe from A New Hope.

"We're nerds," series executive producer Athena Portillo said in reference to those truly deep deep cuts.

Head writer Brandon Auman says, "When we had the chance to do that, to get Greg Proops to come in and do an announcer voice as an homage to Phantom Menace, it was like why not?"

With jokes this specific on a show that feels aimed for younger kids, we asked Portillo who the show is actually targeting. "We're targeting ages six to 12, but honestly, it's more like six to 70 because I'm in my forties and I watched the show and I still crack up," she says.

The choice for the timeline of the show, set six months before the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, was a decision based on the target audience, too.

"It's a little hard for the younger fans to wrap their heads around it if it was, say 15 years before The Force Awakens," Auman explains. "Then it's a very nebulous timeline. You're kind of not sure. The fact that we've got Poe Dameron and BB-8 from the very beginning — kids and any fan of any age automatically just know... 'This is the new movies, this is where it's gonna take place,' so it's just easier. And it was just fun to kind of roll in and back up a little bit instead of just trying to follow exactly where the movies are at."

"This is actually an interesting timeline," series producer Justin Ridge says, "because you have all this old tech that's still around, and some of the old droids and things that are still working, but you have all the new tech from the new movies. It's a cool hybrid of old and new. Even though it has more the lighthearted tone to it, there are still stakes. This is still Star Wars, there's still good guys and bad guys, it's just there's not a war going on at this point, so we don't start off heavy with conflict, we have to see how the First Order is building up. This is part of [series lead] Kaz Xiono's mission: to figure out what that is and report it to the Resistance."

This isn't to say we won't be seeing the war at all. Perhaps the most tantalizing bit of information Ridge dropped during the course of the interview was that the show would get to overlap with the events of The Force Awakens. That certainly changes the stakes for every character involved.

And that's an exciting thing to think about.

Star Wars Resistance premieres on October 7 on the Disney Channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna say, reading most of that I felt they probably backed themselves into a corner by making it 6 months before Force Awakens. Not a lot of room to have a whole lot of show until you run out of wiggle room. But, if they're planning for it to continue on past when force awakens happens, they could do a lot of really interesting things with it. It could touch on other portions of the resistance doing things off in other parts of the galaxy, running back end for what we see in the films. Maybe provide some of that same sort of world building and background that clone wars was able to give us, but for force awakens.

Only thing really bothering me (well, bothering is probably overstating it, but anyway...) is the "children's theater" over-acting style of the performances. Just over the top, like some of the goofier anime shows.

I know it's for kids and I haven't been one (physically) for at least a couple years ;) but.....

So once again members need to be reminded to stop the political posts. Just because you see a political post does not mean that you can join the conversation and add your political thoughts. Also, if you are operating under the illusion that we care one bit about which side of the political spectrum your post is based on, you are in for a rude awakening as we couldn't care less what your personal political views happen to be. So keep your politics to yourself when you are posting on the RPF.

Only thing really bothering me (well, bothering is probably overstating it, but anyway...) is the "children's theater" over-acting style of the performances. Just over the top, like some of the goofier anime shows.

I know it's for kids and I haven't been one (physically) for at least a couple years ;) but.....

Not a big fan of Anime. I've got a couple of exceptions but for the most part...meh.

I always felt that both Clone Wars and Rebels were made for both adult and kids. This one seems more kid oriented. But that's okay. I am going to watch for the story and info to grow my knowledge of the Star Wars universe.

I look at it this way... A New Hope.. You can tell the same story in various ways to appeal to different age audiences. You can watch the movie, read a golden book, read an illustrated storybook, listen to the story on an LP, etc, etc, etc... But in the end, it is the same story. So everything I watch any animated series, I except that it is simply one way to tell a Star Wars story and that it could be presented in different ways. The important thing is the core story and the info given.

I am looking forward to more explanation of how the Resistance and First Order formed and existed and what the Star Wars galaxy is like during this time.

And YAY!... Merchandise!

Hasbro: First Look At Star Wars Resistance 3.75-Inch Figures!

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-resistance-action-figures-from-hasbro-are-coming-this-spring/

Last edited:
Yea, hopefully they can avoid having "too many" episodes that are not plot driven, and are instead message driven.

I get that it's a selling point for an honest to god kids' show, but my desire to watch the show won't overpower my lack of desire to watch "Mr. Muffin-scruff, the force sensitive womp rat, help save the station from an out of control space tanker by enlisting the help of his simple minded but good hearted womp rat brethren. Showing that you shouldn't judge a 2 meter target based on the appearance of it's ratty fur, but instead on the contents of it's worm ridden heart." every other episode.

There are, all things considered, very few of those types of episodes in clone wars, but the ones that are there, pain me. :p

Definitely seems to have that "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME OMGWTFBBQ" vibe going on that kids these days seem to like on Youtube... it exhausts me though.

I'm wanting to know more about the two First Order characters we have so far. Commander Pyre...

STAR-WARS-RESISTANCE-3.75-INCH-COMMANDER-PYRE-Figure-2.jpg

...And Major Vonreg...

SW_Resistance_Vonreg.png

The first 3 episodes of Star Wars: Resistance are now available to watch* via the DisneyNow app.
*Must be a Disney Channel subscriber to watch

Just gonna leave this here...
https://youtu.be/t2OBpg0Yvqw

Amazing what passion and talent can do, no? And which clearly lacks said qualities.

That's an asinine "observation". One is meant to replicate a particular animation style of a completely different show/universe, watched be a different age group of people even at the time, and is geared toward almost a completely different audience. They're for different things. That'd be like taking South Park, and any modern Pixar movie and going "Look, this one has janky animation, it can't be entertaining because this other one, meant for different people to watch, looks different "better".

Stuff on the Disney channel is first and foremost for kids. Deal with it. If you expect Evangelion or Rick and Morty on the kids channel, you will be sorely disappointed for your entire life.

That's an asinine "observation". One is meant to replicate a particular animation style of a completely different show/universe, watched be a different age group of people even at the time, and is geared toward almost a completely different audience. They're for different things. That'd be like taking South Park, and any modern Pixar movie and going "Look, this one has janky animation, it can't be entertaining because this other one, meant for different people to watch, looks different "better".

Stuff on the Disney channel is first and foremost for kids. Deal with it. If you expect Evangelion or Rick and Morty on the kids channel, you will be sorely disappointed for your entire life.
For a franchise that's "supposed to be a children's show" we sure have some interesting things that I wouldn't say are geared at children. Like most of the novels from the 90's, death troopers, and most the dark horse comics.

That being said, I can agree this is geared for a particular audience, but that doesn't excuse the lackluster animation and plot. Clone Wars and Rebels was also geared at similar groups but still managed to be supported by the majority of fans.

This project was green lit while many, many other projects were canceled. Instead, we got this disaster and Battlefront 2 (2018). We missed out on Star Wars Obi-Wan, Star Wars 1313, Maul's videogame, and many others. It's almost as if they don't listen to their customers (big shocker) or outright don't care. Disney (and now Lucasfilm) will never concede defeat in any form even when they are in the wrong.

Guess we're bots or a vocal minority?

TL;DR - cool story bro

20181007_173934.jpg

Last edited:
I did not like it. I watched the first 3 episodes and well .....not at all a good story.
It is a terrible let them do what they want type of story and the main character gets a pass on too many things he is doing with no lessons learned from it.
it is a bad show.

The first 3 episodes of Star Wars: Resistance are now available to watch* via the DisneyNow app.
*Must be a Disney Channel subscriber to watch

Hey MJF, any luck with xfinity? I freak’n missed it last night, totally forgot and was in bed early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back