Star Wars Resistance new animated series...

Starship racing is gonna be prominent since Colossus station is known for it, and the main character is undercover as a mechanic, so yes, the Fast & Furious comparison is apt.

I mean, part of me wants to like it because it is Star Wars, but the rational part of me has no interest in this at all.

I was unsure about Rebels, because it introduced brand new characters I had no connection with, and it eventually turned out to be pretty good. Hopefully Resistance will be the same, but I could think of other ST era stories I'd like better. Like I want to know more about Lor San Tekka and his adventures with Luke Skywalker. Seemed like a waste to cast an actor with the caliber of Max Von Sydow, only to kill him off and never go back to his story. I know they covered a bit more about him in the comics.

Give us OT characters, pre TFA, because that's what a lot of fans want to see. Not new random characters with an occasional appearance by an ST trilogy character.

Rebels may have been a fluke, and succeeded because it brought Thrawn back in to canon, noghri back into canon, had OT characters the Leia, Tarkin, Lando, and TCW favorite Hondo Onaka, as well as Ahsoka, Maul, more Mandalorians, and so on. It connected the viewer to classic characters we know and love. If Resistance can't follow suit, along with having it's new characters become just as beloved as Phoenix Squad, then it won't last.

Also, not really digging the animation.

I feel like Star Wars should eventually move away from the OT, honestly.

I wanna see more stories in the ST era without much of the OT or PT hanging around it, though I would admit seeing Kix (who is still alive at this point) would be nice. If there's one thing I can say I disliked about the Legends canon post-ROTJ is that quite a few of them either revolved around a Skywalker or a Solo, and the axing of all of that meant there was a chance to see new characters have their own stories only being tangentially related to the grander narrative of the movies, making the galaxy feel like, well, a galaxy.

Rebels ended without entering the OT timeframe and that was a good call by Filoni. As for me, I'll adopt a "wait and see" approach with Resistance. I like the designs, the fact that it's vibrant with color, and the racing theme.

If they move away from the OT, I'd prefer the Old Republic era. Jedi, Sith, troopers, war, intrigue, political deception, that's what made the OT great, and if they could recapture that feeling in a different era, that doesn't connect to the OT in any way at all, that would be good. No Skywalker line to deal with.

I also think Rogue One was great because it was OT era, without OT characters. I'd love more of that, like Battlefront: Twilight Company. Sure, Solo made an appearance in that book, but he wasn't a big part, nor was he outright named as Han Solo.

Rebels ended just prior to the OT, except for the epilogue, which was just after ROTJ, canonized Rex on Endor (no more Nic "Gramps" Sant), among other things.

I'm also taking a wait and see approach. The racing theme does not hold any appeal for me, though.

The FF comparisons bother me.

There have been a few FF copy movies - which failed.
Magnum PI seems to being rebooted into FF:Hawaii

Now, FF:SW? I sure as hell hope not.

To me the ships and backgrounds looked anime but the characters looked like Saturday Morning Cartoons. (Ignore the fact that nobody really does Saturday Morning Cartoons anymore except for Cartoon Network.) Nobody had the freaky gravity defying anime hair.

I think this has potential as long as it is not just an extended version of pod racing from the first prequel. To be honest, I watched Rebels but I wouldn't have cared if any of the characters got killed off except for the cameo characters from Clone Wars.

10pm on a Sunday night during a school period? Are Disney actually trolling kids now as well or have they completely lost all sense of business when it comes to Star Wars?

I was kind of hoping it'd be closer to ROTJ than TFA, or that the series would serve to really kind of fill in the gaps between the two trilogies the way TCW filled in the gap between AOTC and ROTS, and the way Rebels fills in the gaps (some of them) between ROTS and ANH. Maybe they will but if the Resistance is already formed, it makes me wonder.
I was kind of hoping the same thing. Thing is, I was really skeptical overall initially with TCW (which I grew to really love) and then, while I was less skeptical overall with Rebels due to Filoni's track record, I was still not sure it featured a setting I really wanted to see -- probably partly because I felt TCW was ended too early -- but I grew to really enjoy Rebels as well. Therefore, I guess you could say I am skeptical of my own skepticism this time around, because I think Filoni has earned my trust. It does look bright and shiny in a way I wouldn't have quite expected, but if I got used to the 3D CG wooden puppet look of TCW, I can get used to bright and shiny.

Also, it crosses my mind that TCW established the idea of a series with story arcs set at different times within the context of an overall event. It could be that this new series might do some of the same thing.

SSB

I was kind of hoping the same thing. Thing is, I was really skeptical overall initially with TCW (which I grew to really love) and then, while I was less skeptical overall with Rebels due to Filoni's track record, I was still not sure it featured a setting I really wanted to see -- probably partly because I felt TCW was ended too early -- but I grew to really enjoy Rebels as well. Therefore, I guess you could say I am skeptical of my own skepticism this time around, because I think Filoni has earned my trust. It does look bright and shiny in a way I wouldn't have quite expected, but if I got used to the 3D CG wooden puppet look of TCW, I can get used to bright and shiny.

Also, it crosses my mind that TCW established the idea of a series with story arcs set at different times within the context of an overall event. It could be that this new series might do some of the same thing.

SSB

:eek

I literally never made the mental connection between the look of the TCW characters and the "Supermarionation" look of stuff like old Thunderbirds shows before.

This thing is bombing before it's even aired. The like to dislike ratio may be a death sentence unless they manage to bring something better out of this.

Screenshot_20180823-134008_YouTube.jpg

Not to mention their market - the kids - won't be able to see it unless their parents let them stay up late on school nights. The time slot makes no sense unless you can record them for later viewing (which not everybody has).

These decisions are the epitome of being out of touch with your desired customer base...

I recall thinking the trailer for Rebels wasn't too good when it came out either. Too many childish antics by chopper in it IIRC. But, it had tie fighters, so i gave it shot and i'm glad that i did :)

Don't recall if that trailer was well recieved overall, but i don't think it was 'a hit' before it aired.

As with Rebels, I'm pretty sure what we're seeing is from the pilot, or, at most, the initial story arc. They haven't had time to animate and voice beyond that yet. So don't take the trailer as indicating the tone or content of the entire series.

As with Rebels, I'm pretty sure what we're seeing is from the pilot, or, at most, the initial story arc. They haven't had time to animate and voice beyond that yet. So don't take the trailer as indicating the tone or content of the entire series.

I recall thinking the trailer for Rebels wasn't too good when it came out either. Too many childish antics by chopper in it IIRC. But, it had tie fighters, so i gave it shot and i'm glad that i did :)

Don't recall if that trailer was well received overall, but i don't think it was 'a hit' before it aired.

That had 11k up-votes and 2.8k down-votes by comparison. When compared to this... that's pretty extensive dislike.

Just gonna leave this here...

Amazing what passion and talent can do, no? And which clearly lacks said qualities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back