Working Carbon Fiber Iron man

IronCarbon

The last few years I've been getting pretty heavily into doing accurate costumes as I'm part of the 501st as kylo ren and go around to doing charity work at hospitals n such. Pic at the bottom is me in my screen accurate Kylo. The goal of this is to make a full suit that I can walk in at out of just like the movie. This could be the long haul project as with kids , jobs and a family time is short to do suit work, but I'm pretty pumped to start. It also will be made of carbon fiber, aluminium, titanium and a crap load of electronics.

28379282_1744605252261563_2154067653915166562_n.jpg

I have lots of questions.
Walk in and out of, just like the movies. Are you making an open-closed mechanism?
Carbon fiber, aluminum and titanium. Can you elaborate on what's for what? Also do you have a background in these disciplines?
Which armour are you making? What is your game plan for starting? Research and Development?
Where do you get your Ti from?
Does your current occupation tie in with the skills required for a build like this.
Please give us some background info.
I am very interested in this build, sounds exciting.
Love to see more info, pics, ect.

I have lots of questions.
Walk in and out of, just like the movies. Are you making an open-closed mechanism?
Carbon fiber, aluminum and titanium. Can you elaborate on what's for what? Also do you have a background in these disciplines?
Which armour are you making? What is your game plan for starting? Research and Development?
Where do you get your Ti from?
Does your current occupation tie in with the skills required for a build like this.
Please give us some background info.
I am very interested in this build, sounds exciting.
Love to see more info, pics, ect.

-Yep, i'm making the whole thing open and close so I can just walk into it and it'll close when I walk in. I'm thinking I'll need to make a stand that'll hook on the back so it stands up as making the joints lock may be something I add way down the road.

- all the paneling will be made of carbon fiber- meaning that it'll be built piece by piece not just one large piece like a pepakura file. The aluminium and titanium will be using for joints and some on the interior skeleton. I'm a mechanical engineer so i'm well versed in how these things work and how to use them

- The armor is going to base off the MK 3 but i'm going to throw in some Mk 15 and war machine and maybe a few other things. Though the Mk 3 is by far my favorite suit. I'll designing every joint, using the movies as reference point for how things transform.

-I already have sheets of titanium and they just come from online metal shops or ebay.

- The tricky part of this is going to be the programming of all the micro controllers as I'm not a programmer so it'll be interesting to learn that. I'll have around 5-8 micro controllers as well as a video system in the helmet.

0422182110.jpgScreenshot_2018-04-11-23-52-15.png

Sounds like an awesome project- I am kinda guessing you may have to have the suit on a platform that you can have a large power supply to eliminate the need for hiding a massive amount of battery packs with-in the suit.

also I would make a mannequin to your exact size and build to do the testing of the on and off sequence so you don't have any "I am trapped in my suit moments.

You should check out my Facebook group link located at the bottom of my signature.
It documents my build on the War-Machine...

Thats A LOT of servos... just for the helmet... (not even sure why you'd need that many for the helmet alone? most basic helmets only use 2 or even 1! You have 8!!)

I'd also suggest using a dedicated servo driver board (like from Adafruit).. I believe it can control up to 16 servos or something..

I have done helmet kits.. repulsor kits, and eye led kits as well.. (all Arduino based)...

You're going to need a pretty big power supply as well.. as a hobby servo can take up a 1AMP under load. (and you have many)..

I was thinking of 3d printing a frame to put lightweight plastic or foam or something panels over it, so it could fit any armor.

Thats a cool ideas! Though i'm not a fan of foam or 3d prints for final pieces - for testing though there awesome

Sounds like an awesome project- I am kinda guessing you may have to have the suit on a platform that you can have a large power supply to eliminate the need for hiding a massive amount of battery packs with-in the suit.

also I would make a mannequin to your exact size and build to do the testing of the on and off sequence so you don't have any "I am trapped in my suit moments.

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing, and i was imagining me yelling to my wife in the middle of the night saying, "I'M TRAPPED". I'll have to include a manual override or something and I have a mannequin already from when I put together my kylo ren. For the power I have 3 super usb power packs, that can do 5-12v and 2 are 26,000ma and one 10,000ma. For the lights,controllers and servo's. They are not much bigger then a cell phone and will be built into the suit and with a flap that lifts up in the back that will have USB-C charging ports. I may need more depending on the servo load but for now this will get me by.

You should check out my Facebook group link located at the bottom of my signature.
It documents my build on the War-Machine...

Cool stuff!

Thats A LOT of servos... just for the helmet... (not even sure why you'd need that many for the helmet alone? most basic helmets only use 2 or even 1! You have 8!!)

I'd also suggest using a dedicated servo driver board (like from Adafruit).. I believe it can control up to 16 servos or something..

I have done helmet kits.. repulsor kits, and eye led kits as well.. (all Arduino based)...

You're going to need a pretty big power supply as well.. as a hobby servo can take up a 1AMP under load. (and you have many)..

-you'll see why I need so many, as the helmet opens up completely as well as the face plate and jaw opens like most peoples do. I may have 10 servo's in there but will see if some mechanical wizardry can get it down. Every 24 servo will have there own control board that then is master controlled from an arduino. I have usb super packs for the servos, plus a lot of the joints will have tension support so the load is not directly on the servo. This will create a smooth movement and lessen the work load on the motors.

Looking forward to seeing your inner frame design, I am currently working on a MKIII build but 3D printed--I'd love to do an aluminum frame but don't have the funds to accomplish that right now, maybe I will 3D print one first and if I like it a lot convert it to aluminum somehow.

Are you planning on being able to actually move after you walk into the suit? Is that even possible?

Thats the plan, through articulated joints, bearing hubs and the like - Thats why this could be a long build as it gonna take a bit to figure these things out!

Hope to see the updated pics as you go along as this is really interesting

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll post any time I do some work even if it's small

So I thought I'd start a video series on it - well at least so I can share some videos on here, it's from a youtube channel I create years ago when I thought I was going to be a youtube star :facepalm. Spent some time programming the eyes so every time the face plate lowers the light blink then fade on.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I thought I'd start a video series on it - well at least so I can share some videos on here, it's from a youtube channel I create years ago when I thought I was going to be a youtube star :facepalm. Spent some time programming the eyes so every time the face plate lowers the light blink then fade on.

https://youtu.be/fLeOZ-ijmx8
Dang you're making quick progress, mind if i ask why red lights?

Dang you're making quick progress, mind if i ask why red lights?

Those are rgbw led strips so I can make any color of the rainbow - but since the suit will be mostly carbon fiber(black) I'm thinking red will look that much cooler. Plus if I want to change it it's really simple to edit the code for colors.

I'll have some cool updates this weekend but in the mean time my cheapy video glass came in. I'll use these with a camera mounted in or on the helmet to view everything. Then down the road I'll upgrade to a oled pair and 4k camera
0426180746.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back