Working Carbon Fiber Iron man

After about a million hrs of sanding and cutting this is where I am right now. The helmet is in about 9 pieces and joints started. The jaw joint is a ballbearing joint as a lot of joints will be. There is a plate on the other side where the screws are tapped too, making this thing super strong. More tomorrow but 4 now I'm getting some sleep.
0429182128.jpg0429182127.jpg

I'll have some cool updates this weekend but in the mean time my cheapy video glass came in. I'll use these with a camera mounted in or on the helmet to view everything. Then down the road I'll upgrade to a oled pair and 4k camera
View attachment 813039

Hope you dont mind me asking but qould you mind sharing where you got the video glasses as this is I road I have been toying with going down with my build?

I am thinking about the star wars cosplay in the near future.

Depending on how accurate you get it can get pricey! but if you join the 501st it's super fun doing charity work as a star wars character.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope you dont mind me asking but qould you mind sharing where you got the video glasses as this is I road I have been toying with going down with my build?

There from zentronics and there were like 100$. The quality is not that great BUT it does serve the purpose I have for it and works great with analog cameras I plan on using.

Been super busy and not getting as much time as I want on the suit, but I did split the jaw and started the servo placements. In thinking this weekend I'll get a lot done :)
0503182358a_HDR.jpg

Nice!

Not sure what else you got going for electronics... but there is a thread posted with all eye leds & servo code for Arduino here (I posted several variants actually)

Nice!

Not sure what else you got going for electronics... but there is a thread posted with all eye leds & servo code for Arduino here (I posted several variants actually)

cool thanks, I've already made the code for that. Has one fore opening the face plate and jaw lower, then other code for opening the entire thing so I can step out of it

Started the top vent and servo support. There will be two micro 5v pc fans that will vent all the heat in the helmet up and out of this vent - Still need to finish opening it up and get the fan module done. so much to do :(
0506182152_HDR.jpg0506182152.jpg0506182153.jpg

Also finished the first half of the jaw. Well the test fit anyway. Also note that really crappy servo - these will be replaced with nice hitec ones once everything is done, plus polishing the metal to get rid of scratches and make things shiny. Also there is a slight gap to count for the carbon fiber when that is laid on.
0506182151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some life casting this weekend to get some pieces to scale , but Ive been working on some video edits too - I plan to put some serious work this week into this project

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back