Avengers: Infinity War (Post-release)

What did you think of Avengers: Infinity War?

• Total voters
While I disagree with the pacing of AoU(I personally thought it was great, still dont understand why people dont like it) but Loki better be dead. I hope anyway. Kinda sick of his **** to be honest lol. I think Antman is going to save the day, or basically be able to reverse time considering what happened to him in his most recent movie.

I know all the powers that be say Loki's dead, but when he died in in Dark World, that was supposed to be real, not fake. Him faking it was a change made late in production. But that was supposed to be a real death, where he reverted to his Frost Giant form as the illusion of his Asgardianness dissipated. Either they need to go into IW and make that happen after Thanos breaks his neck, or I stand by my assertion. Plus less solid "evidence", like him using the wrong hand, etc.

The way Thanos collected the stones actually made sense. He held back until he found out that Gamora knew where the Soul stone was through Nebula. After knowing that, he went to Xandar and took the Power stone, knowing that one way or another the Guardians will learn of it and come to him. He invades the Asgardian ship with the help of the Power stone too and kills half of them so Loki would be forced to give up the Space stone. He has two stones now, so he can easily teleport to Knowhere and obtain the Reality stone by destroying The Collector's place using both the Space and Power stone. He just had to wait for Gamora to come. Now he acquires the Soul stone too. He sent the Black order to Earth so that if they ever fail by the time he returns to Titan, he can easily get the last two stones since he has four now. He didn't go to earth to obtain the Mind and Time stones first because he knows of the Avengers and how he might lose if he faced them all without any of the stones.

So, when the snap happened and the heroes turned to dust, did Thanos just wipe them out, or did he complete his mission and actually wipe out half the universe? If the latter it seems like we should've seen some, at least, small montage of zillions of other people flaking out, too. No?

We did see the streets of New York at the end, it was everywhere. But yeah, showing a few other planets would have been useful.

Oh, did we? I only saw it once last night and it was a lot of information to take all at once. I need to watch it again to catch up on all the things that slipped by me.

Loki? Maybe. Gamora? Nope.

I actually think it's the opposite. Loki was murdered by Thanos, whereas Gamora's soul was traded for the soul stone. The scene directly after Thanos makes the snap proves that Gamora's soul is trapped within the soul stone. Someone (Nebula perhaps?) sacrificing their own soul to bring hers back is very likely. Or her soul is somehow released when the snap is reversed.

Either way, there is a much greater chance of Gamora coming back than Loki. Loki is dead as a doorknob and his soul is too.

Agreed. Gamora was integral to the soul stone (and pretty sure she's confirmed for Guardians volume 3). She'll be back, to ensure Thanos' defeat.

Loki is likely dead, and if the character returns, it won't be with Tom Hiddleston. They might resurrect him like in the comics, either as a kid, or a female.

I think that of the three deaths not acquainted with the snap (Loki, Gamora and Vision), Loki might be the only permanent death.

Agreed. Gamora was integral to the soul stone (and pretty sure she's confirmed for Guardians volume 3). She'll be back, to ensure Thanos' defeat.

Loki is likely dead, and if the character returns, it won't be with Tom Hiddleston. They might resurrect him like in the comics, either as a kid, or a female.

I think that of the three deaths not acquainted with the snap (Loki, Gamora and Vision), Loki might be the only permanent death.

Right, I think Loki and Heimdal are the only deaths that are for sure permanent. I'm convinced that Shuri actually completes the work of saving Vision's mind before Corvus Glaive attacks her (I just finished watching it on Blu-Ray and I paid extra attention to that bit. She makes a few final frantic actions on the holographic UI, then closes it out in the nick of time). Also, Thanos reverses time to reconstruct Vision, only to rip the stone out of him, leaving his body behind and in tact. I think this is deliberate, as the Avengers will use that body to recreate Vision (this time the ghostly gray instead of his silly colors) using his mind backup.

Next summer can't come soon enough.

Side-note: I just watched the end credit scene and I noticed something that's bugging me. Fury asks Hill if there's any word from Stark, then Hill mentions that there are multiple bogies over Wakanda (most likely the Outrider landing craft entering the atmosphere). Moments later, the snap happens and people start vanishing. Either Hill is getting the info about Wakanda super late, or this whole scene is totally off in the timeline. :confused Does someone have a good explanation?

Forgot about Heimdall. Yeah, pretty sure he stays dead, too.

I hope it was Hill getting the info late, and those bogies over Wakanda were the landing craft, which had already been there awhile. Minor continuity error, but one I can overlook. Hopefully it was just some added dialogue and action to tie in the snap, and Fury's page to Captain Marvel.

I'm totally looking forward to Captain Marvel, because it's got Clark Gregg back as Agent Phil Coulson. Such a good character in the previous films (though I couldn't get into agents of shield on TV).

Having read the Infinity Gauntlet series in the 90s, I knew a lot of folks wouldn't make it out alive. I was actually surprised at who survived though. Now I'm curious to see how they reverse it and how far the reversal goes. Like will some folks be brought back but not others? Or will everyone come back?

I know the GotG and Spidey will. But will Buck? Falcon? Hill? Fury?

And how many will die in the next film, especially those who have hinted at being ready to move on from the franchise, like Chris Evans?

I guess we will see.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's been speculated here before, but with Cap saying to Vision that we don't trade lives, I think that's precisely what will happen. Cap trades his life to resurrect Bucky, who takes up the shield as the next Captain America. Possibly the prototype shield Happy mentioned in Homecoming.

Various others trade their lives to bring back their friends, but who for who is anyone's guess, and some might stay dead, like Rhodes and Wilson, if it is a one for one trade. Tony Stark for Peter Parker, but not Tony for Rhodey, and not Cap for Falcon.

As for Gamora, it'll probably be Nebula who trades, if anyone at all. Gamoras body didn't disintegrate like the others, just squished at the bottom of a mountain. But she had extensive body modification to make her tougher, as mentioned in GOTG V1. Her soul may return to her body, but then she's got to figure out a way to get off that planet. Maybe with the help of the Red Skull?

No, next summer can't get here fast enough.

I don't care what anyone says, unless and until the whole Loki-not-reverting-to-Frost-Giant thing is explained otherwise, I stand by that being a fake-out. Not out of any particular attachment to the character, but to continuity.

In general, though, I won't believe any of them are perma-dead until the lights come up at the end of Avengers 4.

Didn't he do the Revert to Frost Giant trick in The Dark World? And he wasn't actually dead there, either, so it doesn't really fit any continuity.

I think Cap and Iron Man might be permanent dead, only due to actors contract expiration. Chris Evans and RDJ have nothing else contracted with the studio beyond A4. Based on that alone, I think those characters may die. Not that the mantle won't be picked up by another (Bucky as Captain America, for instance) like in the comics, so more accurately, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark might die.

I don't care what anyone says, unless and until the whole Loki-not-reverting-to-Frost-Giant thing is explained otherwise, I stand by that being a fake-out. Not out of any particular attachment to the character, but to continuity.

In general, though, I won't believe any of them are perma-dead until the lights come up at the end of Avengers 4.

Even then, "Comic Book Death" is a real thing. He might be dead at the end of Avengers 4.......and then come back for Thor 4, starring Natalie Portman as the Jane Foster version of Thor or whatever. Or Groot as Thor. Or who knows.

Didn't he do the Revert to Frost Giant trick in The Dark World? And he wasn't actually dead there, either, so it doesn't really fit any continuity.

I think Cap and Iron Man might be permanent dead, only due to actors contract expiration. Chris Evans and RDJ have nothing else contracted with the studio beyond A4. Based on that alone, I think those characters may die. Not that the mantle won't be picked up by another (Bucky as Captain America, for instance) like in the comics, so more accurately, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark might die.

I see it as more likely that they'll retire and others will assume their positions. Or one dies but the other retires or takes on an "executive" position so they aren't in the field. See also, Jack O'Neill in Season 8 of Stargate SG-1 (where Richard Dean Anderson basically takes over as the "SG-1, you have a go" guy back at the base, instead of a field commander).

Then again, who knows. Park a truck of money in front of their houses and they may sign on for more. I love them both in their respective roles, particularly Chris Evans as Cap, but there's the practical reality of aging actors getting bored with the roles, and I don't want to see them really re-cast or turn into Roger Moore in From a View to A Kill.

It being a fake-out was added late, in pick-up shooting. As scripted and filmed, it was intended to be for real. And it makes sense, as it's an illusion he adopted when Odin picked him up as a baby, and that was initially partly dispelled by physical contact with a Frost Giant and, later, the casket holding their power source.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back