Avengers: Infinity War (Post-release)

What did you think of Avengers: Infinity War?

• Total voters
Frankly I wouldn’t mind if they brought in the X-Men and recast everyone except Sir Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan.

"Team Thanos" ...this was the only "spoiler" I had seen. A few people had posted Team Thanos but didn't add comment. I had a suspicion that Thanos might actually be a sympathetic character vs a Lord Voldemort. Thanos legitimately loved

At some point, population control will be a recognized global issue. Thanos did it in a way that was fair and people just floated away. No corpse or bloodshed. They just fly away like butterflies. I am not suggesting that we eliminate half of our population, but I wonder if this is a subliminal message in the movie.

My wife and I saw it this week, and both loved it. As someone who read a lot of Marvel comic books once upon a time, and was reading the various Infinity related comics when they were first published, it's fun to see what parts made it on screen, and what the story tellers cooked up fresh and new.

Now, spoiler talk.

My wife was simply devastated by the ending of the film. She didn't see it coming, and walked out of the theater thinking that all these characters were really dead and gone. I smiled at her and said "Well, if you'd of read all the Marvel books I have you'd know they are all likely to return to life in the next film." Then we proceeded to have a long discussion about the comics, Thanos, how the movie differs from the story in the comics, etc. It alleviated her grief. :)

I'm excited to see where the next batch of films go, and how they lead into Avengers 4.

My wife and I saw it this week, and both loved it. As someone who read a lot of Marvel comic books once upon a time, and was reading the various Infinity related comics when they were first published, it's fun to see what parts made it on screen, and what the story tellers cooked up fresh and new.

Now, spoiler talk.

My wife was simply devastated by the ending of the film. She didn't see it coming, and walked out of the theater thinking that all these characters were really dead and gone. I smiled at her and said "Well, if you'd of read all the Marvel books I have you'd know they are all likely to return to life in the next film." Then we proceeded to have a long discussion about the comics, Thanos, how the movie differs from the story in the comics, etc. It alleviated her grief. :)

I'm excited to see where the next batch of films go, and how they lead into Avengers 4.

I'm a long-time reader of comics (I was reading pretty much anything with an X in the title during the 90s), and I was still devastated at the end. Yes, I know that we have sequels for Homecoming, Black Panther, and Guardians coming, as well as all of Phase 4... but it was still absolutely brutal to witness and I'm not ashamed to say that even seeing Carol's emblem in the stinger didn't alleviate the pain all that much.

I'm a long-time reader of comics (I was reading pretty much anything with an X in the title during the 90s), and I was still devastated at the end. Yes, I know that we have sequels for Homecoming, Black Panther, and Guardians coming, as well as all of Phase 4... but it was still absolutely brutal to witness and I'm not ashamed to say that even seeing Carol's emblem in the stinger didn't alleviate the pain all that much.

Yup, we all know these characters have sequels. But it's nice to just actually let a movie affect you as the makers intended.

Exactly, I find the argument that it was a stupid move or that it's completely unemotional etc., because we know about sequels ridiculous. It's a) it's a story, even if you have an inkling as to its future, you still listen to it as a story, and b) not only are you experiencing the story, or empathising with the characters that do die, you're experiencing it with and sympathizing with the characters who survive. They are the ones who we are following the story with. Experience Bucky and Peter being torn away through Tony and Steve. They don't know about the sequels. For them, they're gone, Thanos won. I was taking time to properly think about the film while mowing the lawn, and I confess I teared up thinking about Rocket. He finally had a family, and when he learns that not only is Groot gone, but so are Gamora, Peter, Mantis, and Drax he'll be broken. And of course last time he saw them they left on bad terms.

Exactly, I find the argument that it was a stupid move or that it's completely unemotional etc., because we know about sequels ridiculous. It's a) it's a story, even if you have an inkling as to its future, you still listen to it as a story, and b) not only are you experiencing the story, or empathising with the characters that do die, you're experiencing it with and sympathizing with the characters who survive. They are the ones who we are following the story with. Experience Bucky and Peter being torn away through Tony and Steve. They don't know about the sequels. For them, they're gone, Thanos won. I was taking time to properly think about the film while mowing the lawn, and I confess I teared up thinking about Rocket. He finally had a family, and when he learns that not only is Groot gone, but so are Gamora, Peter, Mantis, and Drax he'll be broken. And of course last time he saw them they left on bad terms.

God, I didn't even think of the fact that he was a butt to the rest of the Guardians before he and Groot went off with Thor... Poor Rocket...

Random notes after second viewing.

Mantis was just adorable in this movie. In GotG 2 I liked her but was still a bit ambivalent about how she fit in. But I liked how, on Knowhere, she sneaked around with her hands folded like a praying mantis’ claws and on Titan how she was in the background bouncing around in low gravity. She seems to fit right in with the rest. Mantis and Drax can easily become my favorite duo in the GotG crew.

I like how they're still ironing out the rules about how the Banner/Hulk duality works.

Gamora really had the most brutal ride in the movie. This time I couldn't help but think how Zoe had more emotionally taxing moments than anyone else.

Loki calling himself “Loki Odinson” was a piercing revelation in a movie built on crushing events. I do want him to come back if only for the fact that Thor has no other living family. But this, seemingly the completion of his long arc makes a strong case for him being permanently dead. It makes me very sad.

Can I say how much of an achievement it is that every character seemed written true to their individual interpretations from other directors? This is really amazing. I was almost certain that, at the very least the GotG wouldn't feel like the same GotG - but it was the same. And where different characters from films with dissimilar toes met was seamless as well. It's incredible. Not to mention the sheer size and complexity of the narrative and the number characters should have made IW collapse under its own weight. If this doesn't get the Oscar for best editing then I don't know why that award exists.

Last edited:
I don't want to see any of the X-Men universe from the FOX films mix into the MCU.
I agree. I would like to see them all recast. Wolverine was the only X-character from Fox that I was happy with. Some others were ok, but not astounding. I would like to put as much distance between those movies and the MCU as possible. Start fresh. This is a reboot world so it shouldn't shake people up too much. Plus we might get something better.

Frankly I wouldn’t mind if they brought in the X-Men and recast everyone except Sir Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan.
Not me, I like Stewart and McKellan but I would like to see a fresh take on the characters. I trust Kevin Feige. We have seen many versions of Peter Parker and Tom Holland is hands-down my favorite. If they decide to do a fresh take on the Prof and Magneto, then I trust that it would be done in an excellent fashion.
+1 I agree. If anyone is disappointed in this movie because it doesn't have emotional impact, then that is something they brought into the theater and not the fault of the movie itself.
Loki calling himself “Loki Odinson” was a piercing revelation in a movie built on crushing events. I do want him to come back if only for the fact that Thor has no other living family. But this, seemingly the completion of his long arc makes a strong case for him being permanently dead. It makes me very sad.

I know what you are saying, that was an awesome scene. I am cool with it either way. If he comes back, he is the God of Mischief and I expect he will be up to some shenanigans. If he doesn't come back, I appreciate the growth he had in his character arc.

Just saw the movie last night. Really liked it. Thanos was definitely the main character of it.

As for the Avengers, I think Thor had the best story line. He had the most to do and when he arrived at Wakanda kicking serious ass, I was pretty pumped up.

I was surprised Thanos actually snapped his fingers. And i thought Cap or Tony wouldn't make it out alive.

Tony must be pretty important in the future if Dr. Strange traded the time stone for his life.

Glad we only have 1 year to wait for the next one.

Tony must be pretty important in the future if Dr. Strange traded the time stone for his life.

Eh, it's gonna be less about who they needed, and more about them needing Thanos to collect all the stones and go through with his plan. With captain marvel coming in, and no real movies slated for Cap (last I'd seen), you can pretty much place a safe bet on Rogers getting kacked for good as part of saving half of existence in number 2. which is very captain America like. Plus, then they can start playing with the "the world needs captain America - Who will take up the mantel" nonsense :p.

I saw it and Thanos was done a ton better than I expected. The CGI on him looked great especially Brolins expressions coming through. Tonys armor and spidermans not so much. Ironman looked a video game cutscene on the PS3 a few times when completely suited up. Almost like they didn't finish the CGI. The ending was great. Loved and hated how they just stopped it after all the deaths. Vision turning grey reminded me of Transformers the movie when Optimus dies. In a lot of ways it was like that movie...here's the heroes you know and maybe some you don't on a quest to take down a titan and almost everyone you liked gets wiped out. I just remember being a kid and seeing that and was shocked. I'm sure the same happened for kids here as well. Pretty sure the next one will still be called Avengers Infinity War Part 2. Can't wait.

I haven't read the entire thread...but am I the only one...

...that thinks that Thanos was dead at the end? It seemed to me very much like he was in the Soul Realm, or whatever they want to call it, at the end.

I actually kind of wonder if everyone that we saw disintegrate were the ones that actually survived, and the ones that didn't disintegrate are all inside the Soul Stone, effectively. This would explain why characters that we KNOW will be in future movies disintegrated, yet characters that we think will ultimately sacrifice themselves (Tony, Cap) didn't disintegrate.

I think it would be a GREAT way to start the film...show Peter and Dr Strange on Titan wondering exactly what happened to Tony, and then showing T'Challa, Wanda, etc wondering what happened to Captain America and Thor and such.

Just wondering if I was the only one that kinda felt that way.

I believe it was stated earlier that what we saw in IW was only half of the ship. The other ship had presumably been sent off with the survivors (of which Word of God says that Valkyrie was among).

Though i saw Valkyrie laying on the floor in the beginning of the film.
Question!!! : When Thanos has snapped his finger and the Flash thing happens and Thor asks " what did you do? ", Did the glove look burned or something to someone else? I just caught a glimpse of it before thanos backed into his portal thingy.

Though i saw Valkyrie laying on the floor in the beginning of the film.
Question!!! : When Thanos has snapped his finger and the Flash thing happens and Thor asks " what did you do? ", Did the glove look burned or something to someone else? I just caught a glimpse of it before thanos backed into his portal thingy.

yeah it was deformed after the snap - like it could only withstand doing it once.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back