The Martian helmet buildthread[CAD & 3D-print] - [FINISHED]

Thank you guys. I'm feeling pretty satisfied with it thus far. Pretty eager to recieve the visor and dome so I can finalize it, a bit unclear timewise when those are done though. Patience. A virtue I hear ;)

The CAD-work is done using software from a french developer called Dassault. This due to that's where I do my quickest work after almost 8 years in the automotive business(where said software is primarily used).

...Almost there, almooost theere....
30761823098_af169b0c50_k.jpg

43722435485_fd948f1946_k.jpg

Most likely I won't receive the visor + dome until early November at the earliest so I'm putting this aside for the time being. Really looking forward to be able to fit the dome and adding the gold sunscreen though....

slowly getting through my print great files hghly recommend them, having a smaller printbed is a bind but going ok. only problem i have is you mention 3m fittings but dont say what size, for the main air seal collar you just say "4 3m heat inserts" could you tell me please which ones I would need to get as I havent got the foggyest :D

Glad to hear you like the models. That should be M3 & M4 heat inserts, and I know that I mistakenly left out the length of them which should be 4mm for both kinds. Sorry about all being metric but that’s what I know so... ;)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I hesitat buying these files and printing them because I see no way to build the visors.
It is to expensive to build a vacuumforming device just for this single build.
Does someone have a cheaper solution like a headgun and some carefully manipulation of some acrylic or does someone sell these visors?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I hesitate.....

Indeed the forming of the domes are the most tricky part of this build. What I did was that I phoned a lot of vacuum forming businesses in my vicinity too see if anyone was able to help out. In the end I found a propmaker with a big enough vacuumformer to be able to handle the 3mm PETG required. To save on money I printed and finished the forming bucks myself so what’s left for the guy to do is to mold the printed bucks in plaster and form the parts. Unfortunately the guy I’ve asked to do this seems to be pretty busy so I’m still waiting on the parts. Hoping to get them within November at least.

Just grabbed the 3D files. Super excited to put this together!

One of the things I would love to see is a PDF with all of the parts together.

Just grabbed the 3D files...

Glad to hear it :)
You’re thinking of a document detailing how to exactly all parts are assembled in order and such? I was thinking of doing this but decided that it was pretty self explanatory when all parts are finished. That said, I’ll happily answer questions on the assembly order if needed.

Looking amazing.... But a Printing tip, to help reduce those echo lines... Theyre caused by vibrations in your setup. It could be from the frame of the printer (unlikely) doubnle check everything is tight and solid... It can also be caused by whatever the printer is sitting on (table or what ever) if that thing vibrates with the movement of the pring head that will transfer into those echo lines...

Try and stiffen the joints of the printer or the table its sitting on...

On top of that you can tweak your acceleration settings of your prints. The controlled speed up and slow downs of the head will soften out the fast moments and so less vibration causing moves. However that does also increase print time...

Now that I have a large FDM printer I'll be buying these files and giving it a whirl. Absolutely beautiful work my friend, can't wait to get working on my own (we'll see when I actually have time...)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back