The Martian helmet buildthread[CAD & 3D-print] - [FINISHED]

Kiwimaddog

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi people of the RPF.

So, I've been working for some time on a CAD-model of the Martian helmet, and it's finally getting to a somewhat finalized stage. I've been doing the work on spare time whenever there's been some time between work and taking care of my (now) 9 months old boy, So progress has been slow.

I have been thinking of starting a thread to capture the development but time has as said been a bit short. Anyway, today, I have some time so here we go :)
So, I'm up at revision 8 of my build at the moment, and to begin with I have captured the progress-study thus far in some pictures:

41557397912_072ca6381e_h.jpg

26730006587_8c837ae4a8_b.jpg

41557399092_c73927df63_b.jpg

26730006237_91d951a83a_b.jpg

41557398602_dd05a6da71_b.jpg

26730005997_352ecb054f_b.jpg

This version I have actually printed to be able to test the fit of the different parts and how to split them in a 3D-printer friendly fashion. This also gave me vital feedback on how to optimize the parts in themselves for 3D-printing.

26730005757_677a649153_b.jpg

41557397542_6df53a278b_b.jpg

26730005247_889527ea33_b.jpg

Most likely this is my final revision and the one I will print. It took some time but I finally realized that the dome is not really spherical in profile but actually an oval-shape. The reason it took this long to realize I believe is due to that I'm almost always am working with the dome itself hidden due to it not really contaning any details that needs work.

41557530612_84ff1cd477_b.jpg

Vacuum-form plug. I've currently finalized printing of this part and am sanding/filling etc whenever there's time.

Thought it might be interesting with an exploded view showing all parts excluding the fix-elements(I'll use heat inserts and M3/M4 mainly)
In this picture you can also see how the parts are split for my printer to be able to handle them. I'm using a Bigbox with and printarea of 265mm x 300mm x 300mm.

40895558434_b67578f8a5_b.jpg

version six definitely got the shape of the helmet right, before that it was too spherical in shape. That's some fine modelling you've done, can't wait to see this printed!

version six definitely got the shape of the helmet right, before that it was too spherical in shape. That's some fine modelling you've done, can't wait to see this printed!

In the meantime I can tease with some images of my printed wip-study-helmet(V5). I won't ever finish this one and will scrap it later since it's only made as a poc to see if my split of the parts work and if it can be assembled as a whole.

40734898015_fd715b6d7d_c.jpg

41586558462_bc094cc759_c.jpg

40915987104_cd7f7b6109_c.jpg

41586555702_74ca1b33c3_c.jpg

41586555452_1b13263b52_c.jpg

27757662348_e4b5c3f550_c.jpg

And also, The completed print for the updated dome-shape vacuum-forming plug:
41586559152_74e5e4ea93_c.jpg

This is Amazing! Fantastic work.

Don't scrap your test helmet sell it, or donate it...

The white trapazoid under the '2' on the reference photo, just have a quick relook at it before you print, the space behind it looks a little thin...Shrink the trapazoid by 3% or so

Cheers

Jim

Re: The Martian helmet buildthread[CAD & 3D-print]

The white trapazoid under the '2' on the reference photo, just have a quick relook at it before you print, the space behind it looks a little thin...Shrink the trapazoid by 3% or so

Cheers

Jim

Thank you kindly for the nice words.
And yes, I agree, the shape is a little off. It's tricky to find good reference-data and I've cross-referenced a lot of different pics and sometimes, they will point in different directions depending on the particular lens used vs angle etc. I'll give the shape another go though :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I'd be more than happy to buy your crap helmet for a base for another project

Of course, I'd be happy to pass it on if you see any use for it! It's located in Sweden though so shipping might be an issue...

This is awesome. I've been looking for a nice martian helmet to display with some of my other helmets. Are you by chance going to be selling the files or casts?

Re: The Martian helmet buildthread[CAD & 3D-print]

Cheers

Jim

I never realized before, and I've always assumed that the front edge of the inner carrier(with the trapazoid) is vertical. Just now I tried to tilt it 5° frontwards and that really makes a difference for both the look of the trapazoid and the inner carrier. So, Thank you very much for pointing it out Sir!
Let's call this V 8.5 ;)

27777380998_0fedfd302d_c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome. I've been looking for a nice martian helmet to display with some of my other helmets. Are you by chance going to be selling the files or casts?

Thank you Sir!
Been thinking about putting it up on Etsy as just the 3D-files after I'm finished. Would be nice to be able to offer the Vacuum-formed Dome as well which I'm investigating at the moment.

Amazing work, but as a perfectionist I can't help but notice some proportional discrepancies and detail positions. This is a 1/1 drawing of my 3d model of the helmet, I was given dimensions and guidance by the effect house that produced the helmet for the film and they approved my final model as close to the production model without getting into legal infringement. They pointed out things in my original 3d model that were not apparent in photos but make a big difference in the final model. I hope that this helps and in no way am I degrading your work, I know how difficult it is to build a model without dimensional reference. Please use this drawing to take dimensions. Also your 3d print looks fantastic, I wish I had the means to print my model.View attachment Pressure Helmet Assembly.PDF

Amazing work, but as a perfectionist I can't help but notice some proportional discrepancies and detail positions. This is a 1/1 drawing of my 3d model of the helmet, I was given dimensions and guidance by the effect house that produced the helmet for the film and they approved my final model as close to the production model without getting into legal infringement. They pointed out things in my original 3d model that were not apparent in photos but make a big difference in the final model. I hope that this helps and in no way am I degrading your work, I know how difficult it is to build a model without dimensional reference. Please use this drawing to take dimensions. Also your 3d print looks fantastic, I wish I had the means to print my model.View attachment 812256

Thank you very much :) I appreciate you sharing your experience, I've seen your build before and it's absolutely amazing as well! It's kind of hard to know when to stop and I'm bitterly aware that there will always be discrepancies compared to the original so now I'll study your drawing to see what I've missed.

One of the biggest surprises for me was the location of the tab in the visor dome, they look centered but they are not. once you move them off center toward the front, you will notice things falling into place and matching the photos, it's very subtle.
Pressure Helmet Visor.JPG

Last edited:
One of the biggest surprises for me was the location of the tab in the visor dome, they look centered but they are not. once you move them off center toward the front, you will notice things falling into place and matching the photos, it's very subtle.
View attachment 812317

Yes, I think you are absolutely correct, and after further inspection, I apparently came to the same conclusion. The tab of my dome is actually slightly off center as well :)
Dome_of_center.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back