The Martian helmet buildthread[CAD & 3D-print] - [FINISHED]

Here's some references - check out the space around the trapazoid's edges

https://hollywoodmoviecostumesandpr.../matt-damons-nasa-spacesuit-from-martian.html

http://images.propstore.com/347623.jpg

Propstore images run from 347620 to 347638 just change the number!

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/the-martian-04.jpg

Jim

Hi Jim,

I really appreciate you helping me out here with extra reference material. The Propstore one though I belive is a stunthelmet, or possibly one of those giveaways/prices I've read somewhere about, and I'm aiming more towards the Hero-prop. Still, much appreciated.

I have a lot of my reference photos from the ones Tested released, and even some that Frank Ippolito put up on Instagram.
FrankI_Insta_1.JPGFrankI_Insta_2.JPGFrankI_Insta_3.JPGFrankI_Insta_4.JPGFrankI_Insta_5.JPGFrankI_Insta_6.JPG

Excellent graphics too!

Here's the HD screen caps

http://kissthemgoodbye.net/movie/thumbnails.php?album=470

The wear and tear on your references seems to have happened after filming - Even at the end of the film the helmet is in great shape, the suit shows wear though

Jim

My favourite is pic 1020. Nobody apparantly noticed the the air-seal collar wasn't connected and that should have been the end of Watney.
TM_1020.jpg

Thank you guys :)

Small progress, I've been sanding some on the dome vacuum form plug:
27985337748_4c84ef7a32_c.jpg

40047083940_1800f337f2_c.jpg

Lots more sanding needed though....
And because that's so much fun, I decided to make a plug for the inner visor as well, not yet printed though:
41136790024_cbc2a9ef80_c.jpg

Furthermore, I have been adding some details and modified the connectors and the other details according to the given sizes from Captain Aprils drafts.
It's almost time to order the filament :)
41136952874_4993e8513a_b.jpg
[/URL]V9 by Henrik Friberg, on Flickr[/IMG]

Summer came early to Sweden this year with unusually hot temperatures and it's been some weeks since last update. In short, progress is kind of slow.
Anyway,
I've started to print the parts and been struggling with a worry of mine concerning the text-part on the rear panel. As I suspected, my printer can not really convey the fine details of chinese symbols so I'm taking another route here. I will order the text as fine detail prints at Shapeways and glue/fill/sand into my main printed part instead. I think that's the only way to make that section look decent. I will keep the Emergency oxygen as is in my print though since that looks good enough and any sanding in the area will be tricky as hell.

Printing half of the Visor-plug:

Chinese symbols on my print:
Btw, I'm using a filament called X-PLA which is a mix of PLA and PETG. It provides great surfaces as long as it's within a 50° lean. Anything over that though is hard to achieve good results on as can be seen in the picture below in the arching vent-holes.

So, This is how I plan to do the text part. Separate piece from Shapeways. A bit more sanding involved but I think it'll be worth it.

Update-time:
All pieces printed, Let the sanding begin!(Whenever there is time that is, I'm doing this between regular work and feeding my kid)

Been doing a lot of sanding of the Vacuum-form plugs(With lots more to go). I'm struggling to find someone to assist me in doing the actual forming though, but I might have a lead in the fair capital of Sweden :) I Won't use these actual parts to do the forming but instead I'll make a cast of them in dental plaster that should be more able to withstand the heat and such of the forming process.
-

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back