Iron Man Light up Eyes - XRobots with a 3D Print Upgrade

Malico

First off, I must give props to XRobot on his eye build here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcH60giVys&list=PL1AF6F24238DB27EA - It is an absolutely brilliant design and frankly I would not have thought of it myself without his video on it.

I built one based off of his, overall happy with how it came out for my first one.

IMG_2799.jpgIMG_2801.jpg

It was not without some issues though, first the self inflicted ones. The film I used was not self adhesive, so I had some trouble with bubbling and that was completely my fault. The second issue was the tulle, I could not fine ANY in any store or my wife's collection that had a nice even pattern like the one in his videos. That and kept shifting so it was not flat to the lens and was flexing, making a non-uniform shape. Those two things drove me nuts, but it still came out decent. One design problem with the tulle as well. The light penetrates the tool and appears bright on the inside of the helmet, blocking your view to a degree.

With that I spent the week thinking through the design and how I could change not only use of a different material from the tulle, but the way it is lighted to avoid hot spots. After some work, I present Mark II version of the lighted eye. Left side of the pic is the new eye (right eye in helm) and right side of the pic is the old one.

IMG_2844.jpgIMG_2846.jpg

A handful changes went into this one, first one was the material used for the grid. Replacement window screen, one side spray painted white. While it cuts out a little more vision, it is less annoying to my eye since the LED light does not penetrate the screen. I held it on with some 3D printed clips on the ends.

IMG_2838.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 364
Second was the use of a 3D printed light strip. In the previous version I just glued the LEDs to the bottom across the eye, now they are embedded in a 3D printed strip. This way I glue them to the strip, then flex it over the lens. It makes for a nice even install, but the translucent plastic also acts as a diffuser for the lights.

IMG_2841.jpgeye_light_bar_-_SketchUp_Make_2016.jpg

I decided to go top and bottom with the strips to give nice and even light and I am really happy with how it came out. I still have to finish up the helmet before I mount it, looking forward to getting it done.

If anyone is interested in using this design and needs details on parts or the 3D STL files, I am happy to provide!

IMG_2845.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back