HiC Panel Discrepancy...

Luuke

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the course of my research on this project I've come across a discrepancy in a couple of panels. Namely the left side top and second from the top panels. There was a HiC traveling for some exhibits but now I question the accuracy of it. The movie version has almost the same panel as the top right side. The exhibition version is totally different. Then there's the second from the top panel. Only the very top is visible but you can see an obvious difference in the number and placement of the greeblies. In addition, the greeblies themselves appear to be different from the movie to the exhibition piece.

Here's a shot of the movie version...
HiCOpps01.jpg
The Exhibition versions...
HiCOpps02.jpgHiCOpps03.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this? I can't say I've seen any discussion on it.

In the particular shot in the film the "hero" panel (i.e. the more silver chrome panel with green flashing heart monitor) was swapped over to the opposite side to where it ends up the rest of the time. It is definitely the hero panel. However, at this time the hero panel appears unfinished: the light bulbs are missing from the long strip section with the bulb mounts empty, and the knobs are missing and the grill where the knobs should be is, as yet, un-drilled.

So clearly it's an early shot of the prop while they were still finishing it off.

Are you pulling this information out of thin air or do you have anything to back that up?

In the particular shot in the film the "hero" panel (i.e. the more silver chrome panel with green flashing heart monitor) was swapped over to the opposite side to where it ends up the rest of the time. It is definitely the hero panel. However, at this time the hero panel appears unfinished: the light bulbs are missing from the long strip section with the bulb mounts empty, and the knobs are missing and the grill where the knobs should be is, as yet, un-drilled.

So clearly it's an early shot of the prop while they were still finishing it off.

The panels do seem to move around a lot - and if you look at the DK Visual Dictionary one goes completely missing for a while. But there are only 8 panels: 6 regular grey panels with metal greeblies, x1 regular grey panel with extra detail in the large square panel made from a Bronica camera Level Finder and some rectangular yellow leds (the knob Boushh twists in Jedi), and x hero panel in silver with extra greeblies, grill, and lighting.

HiCOpps01.jpg

Argh! So it feels like there's a "hero" version with two upper lighted panels and two "not so hero" version with a standard upper left panel. UGH! Which to do?

Big differences between ESB and RotJ. Travelling exhibit is Rotj with changes over time due to parts going missing.

Argh! So it feels like there's a "hero" version with two upper lighted panels and two "not so hero" version with a standard upper left panel. UGH! Which to do?

Hey L,

Now you know how most of feel trying to replicate our favorite SW prop(s)! ;)

During production, almost every prop went through sort of change. The Falcon cockpit sees multiple changes from scene to scene. I would just pick the version you like best and run with it! When someone asks if this is screen accurate you reply "... of course it is... its screen accurate from 1:53:16 to 1:54:07!!!" ;)

I just know that the camera can only see one side of the block at a time, and if I were the prop guy, I would definitely only bother making one hero panel to move around as needed.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back