Bandai 1/350 Millennium Falcon with Five Footer Detail

monsterpartyhat

Sr Member
The other day I started another build of the Bandai vehicle model (1:350th scale) Millennium Falcon. I'd already built one, but wanted another that would be a bit more accurate (and reflect everything I've learned since I built the first one).

On this one I'm trying to pack as much detail from the ANH 5-footer model as I can, into this tiny palm-sized model. I'm using archival ink pens (Pigma Micron 0.1mm and Copic Multiliner 0.03mm) for some of the markings, specifically the hash marks that are all over the model.

Here's the current state -- so far I'm going from bare plastic all the way to done on the top half only, to verify everything works to my satisfaction, before doing the underside (and also to avoid getting bored of adding hashmarks for hours :) ).

26671619147_4e1a16a9cd_o.jpg

I've also been taking pics of each stage, to be able to view the whole progress, which is kinda fun.

Stage 1 -- bare plastic.

27628089998_ca3bcca993_o.jpg

Stage 2 -- base coated with Tamiya AS-20

40606205845_f07c3492bb_o.jpg

Stage 3 - I've applied the decal set from Otherworld Models, and also added some of the small red hash marks using a Pigma Micron ink pen. I've also carved some of the hull damage using the point of an X-acto knife.

40786349314_55ff93a3fb_o.jpg

Stage 4 - brush painted more panels and additional details, based on 5-footer reference.
39713130790_7f3e04ba13_o.jpg

Stage 5 - added hash marks all over, using several different pens with tips ranging from 0.1mm down to 0.03mm.

40647574445_15c6154141_o.jpg

Stage 6 - added a clear gloss coat to seal everything in and provide a better surface for washes, then pin-washed most of the surface with Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss (I like the Gloss version because it flows a little more quickly than the flat version)

26671615757_a39287aaa7_o.jpg

That's where it stands right now - I'm really pleased with it. Adding some more wash detail tonight, and basic pastel weathering for the engine exhaust and around the maintenance pits before sealing it with a flat clear coat, which will be the base for streaking.

The other day I started another build of the Bandai vehicle model (1:350th scale) Millennium Falcon. I'd already built one, but wanted another that would be a bit more accurate (and reflect everything I've learned since I built the first one).

On this one I'm trying to pack as much detail from the ANH 5-footer model as I can, into this tiny palm-sized model. I'm using archival ink pens (Pigma Micron 0.1mm and Copic Multiliner 0.03mm) for some of the markings, specifically the hash marks that are all over the model.

Here's the current state -- so far I'm going from bare plastic all the way to done on the top half only, to verify everything works to my satisfaction, before doing the underside (and also to avoid getting bored of adding hashmarks for hours :) ).

View attachment 810760

I've also been taking pics of each stage, to be able to view the whole progress, which is kinda fun.

Stage 1 -- bare plastic.

View attachment 810761

Stage 2 -- base coated with Tamiya AS-20

View attachment 810762

Stage 3 - I've applied the decal set from Otherworld Models, and also added some of the small red hash marks using a Pigma Micron ink pen. I've also carved some of the hull damage using the point of an X-acto knife.

View attachment 810763

Stage 4 - brush painted more panels and additional details, based on 5-footer reference.
View attachment 810765

Stage 5 - added hash marks all over, using several different pens with tips ranging from 0.1mm down to 0.03mm.

View attachment 810764

Stage 6 - added a clear gloss coat to seal everything in and provide a better surface for washes, then pin-washed most of the surface with Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss (I like the Gloss version because it flows a little more quickly than the flat version)

View attachment 810766

That's where it stands right now - I'm really pleased with it. Adding some more wash detail tonight, and basic pastel weathering for the engine exhaust and around the maintenance pits before sealing it with a flat clear coat, which will be the base for streaking.

Wow, Looks great!

I was thinking of picking up another one of these 1:350 Falcons but someone said theyre now making the ESB version instead of the ANH version and you really dont know which version youll end up getting.
Not sure if this is true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of picking up another one of these 1:350 Falcons but someone said theyre now making the ESB version instead of the ANH version and you really dont know which version youll end up getting.

Yup, I've heard of people ordering the vehicle model and getting the 5 landing gear lower hull section. I ordered this one on Amazon.com from a seller in Japan and got the old 3-gear version. I'd actually like to have both :)

I made my first real mistake on this one - I failed to brush off the pastel sufficiently before clear coating, so there's a scattering of pastel all over the model that's now sealed in under clear coat. Oops! It doesn't look bad at normal viewing distance, but it does make the tiny hash marks a little less distinct.

So here's Stage 7 -- added Soot and Orange Rust Tamiya weathering master pastels, applied with one of those teeny tiny brushes that are meant for superglue application. Then I applied the clearcoat to seal it in (along with the mistakes), and added a few streaks with the Micron pens. I could actually be quite happy to call it done here, but it should get a few more streaks.

P4180007.jpg
P4190011.jpg

And I started on the lower hull -- here it is with just the decal set applied. Just like the upper, there's quite a few panels to paint, as well as adding the hash marks.

P4190016.jpg

Hey, mistakes happen! That's why I use oils for weathering. And I never clear coat.... However, I'll be adding a mixture of clear and base coat on mine once I finish getting it near perfect.

I've been avoiding oils because I don't want anything I need to clean up with thinner, hence the need to clear coat pastels. It's just some extra dirt on the Falcon - Han obviously doesn't care :)

Han certainly doesn't care...lol... I just find it easier and quicker with oils. But, everyone has their own way of attacking builds. There's never just one right way to do things.

Oh, oils are totally awesome, for sure. You can have so much control with them. I constantly have a cat poking his nose in what I'm doing and knocking **** over, though, so dealing with fumes and toxic spirits is ill-advised :)

Last edited:
monsterpartyhat;[URL="tel:4447079" said:
4447079[/URL]]Oh, oils are totally awesome, for sure. You can have so much control with them. I constantly have a cat poking his nose in what I'm doing and knocking **** over, though, so dealing with fumes and toxic spirits is ill-advised :)

I feel your pain... I had a cat ( gave him to my sister while I'm away from my apt) and he's always getting in the way.

Oh, oils are totally awesome, for sure. You can have so much control with them. I constantly have a cat poking his nose in what I'm doing and knocking **** over, though, so dealing with fumes and toxic spirits is ill-advised :)

I gave up in oils ages ago.

They stink, theyre messy, a task to clean out of airbrush; they take forever to dry which means you may inadvertently touch the model and smear stuff everywhere.

Switched to acrylics and never looked back. [emoji106]

I gave up in oils ages ago.

They stink, theyre messy, a task to clean out of airbrush; they take forever to dry which means you may inadvertently touch the model and smear stuff everywhere.

Switched to acrylics and never looked back.

I wish someone could make a guide on how to weather with acrylics properly on Star Wars vehicles. I've tried a couple of times and it never works right. I use oils and their long working time is a plus for blending things after you've let it sit for a while. Currently weathering this AT-AT with oils.

ZNwHnok.jpg

Stage 5 - Nuln oil wash.

P4200010.jpg

Stage 6 - Soot and Orange Rust again, then a flat clear coat. I kept it fairly subtle, and did a (mostly) better job of cleanup before the clear coat this time.

P4200015.jpg

That's where she stands this morning. I added a few more streaks to the upper hull, and I'm going to move on to the the docking rings and sidewalls before deciding whether I'm going to light this one or not.

P4200011.jpg

That is crazy good MPH!

Extremely minor nit: The vent exhaust should go straight back, not with the curvature of the hull.

I wish someone could make a guide on how to weather with acrylics properly on Star Wars vehicles. I've tried a couple of times and it never works right. I use oils and their long working time is a plus for blending things after you've let it sit for a while. Currently weathering this AT-AT with oils.

https://i.imgur.com/ZNwHnok.jpg

I use a combo of Airbrush for the larger weathering, and pastels and Tamiya weather master for smaller weathering.
Just use a damp cloth and wipe it off if it doesnt come out right.

Stage 5 - Nuln oil wash.

View attachment 811235

Stage 6 - Soot and Orange Rust again, then a flat clear coat. I kept it fairly subtle, and did a (mostly) better job of cleanup before the clear coat this time.

View attachment 811236

That's where she stands this morning. I added a few more streaks to the upper hull, and I'm going to move on to the the docking rings and sidewalls before deciding whether I'm going to light this one or not.

View attachment 811238

Looking great! I'm revisiting mine to add in some detailing on the hull.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back