Easy way to repair an acrylic case?

TomVDJ

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As you can read here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=286099&page=7&p=4446124&viewfull=1#post4446124, I received a tube-like acrylic case where the top came of. The case consists out of an acrylic cylinder with a round acrylic plate attached on top. That round plate came off during shipping.

I'm now looking for the easiest way to attach it again with a fairly nice result. I read about the "welding"' method (some say with acetone) to have the nicest result, but I don't think I'm handy enough to do this on my first attempt, and I don't have any acrylic lying around to experiment with. So I'd like to go for just gluing it on again with some transparant glue that's usable on acrylic. Any suggestions?

This is what we use to bond acrylics together Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive - 4 Oz and Weld-On Applicator Bottle with Needle[/h]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6132%2BmDzWwL._SL1000_.jpg

it is water thin so you place both pieces together and inject the glue between pieces or just brush some on each piece and stick together.

Weldon #3 is fantastic, but make sure you don't get it anywhere you don't want the plastic to be glued or it will mark the surface.

If gluing the cap on, probably best to do it upside down.

Also, less is more. It doesn't take much at all. Plus, you don't want any run over.

^ this.

I have played with many different 'glues' for Acrylic (lots of projects from my laser cutter)

I will also double down on the need to use a needle applicator.

Thanks for the thips, guys... Russrep promised to send a replacement, so I might not need to glue it myself. But although the "welding" options seems to be the better one, it seems to me that you need to have some experience with it. So if I would need to do it (without practice), I'd go for the "safer" option and go for transparant acrylic gel/glue. Maybe the bond is a bit less strong and the result not as nice, but chances that I completely mess things up, are smaller I think ;-).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back