Build Thread for my take on the ROTJ Luke Lightsaber (fully machined)

sort of, I built a fiberglass version of the black imperial R2 unit and decked it out with a nitro keg kit and filled it with Guinness for a con party to many years ago. Now its just sits in the shop. A second unfinished fiberglass body is now my chip can sitting next to the lathe.

Very nice improvement in the prototypes! I can see it in the pommel and grips especially. I have a couple castings of the hero if you need measurements

Crappy videos got rotated 90 on my phone and I am fighting getting them fixed. what a pain in the ass for something that seems like it should be simple. VLC complains about supported codecs. filmora just starts to choke when processing and seems to corrupt audio. Argh!!

Edit: OK found Avidemux and it just works at least for rotation.

Last edited:
status picture and teaser for what was done in the next two videos.

Attachments

• 20180429_151431.jpg
    20180429_151431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
OK, I love working in the shop, I hate making videos. (ok hate is a powerful word, lets say I like it much less than working in the shop)

Anyway I closed up early so I can put together at least the 3rd video.

Ok, got two of the bases complete tonight and optimized the workflow a bit. should be able to easily finish up the last 3 tomorrow night. Also I think I'm getting a better idea how to do video shots to make them easier to put together later.

More to come...

quick pick, tonight I got two of these cleaned up bored and tapped. Video on that will be part 5.

Attachments

• 20180430_220000.jpg
    20180430_220000.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 112
Lost power, wind storm here. I guess I won't be finishing up the main body's tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sorry, uploaded the old part 3 as part 4 and deleted it then fell asleep. Was up way to late last night. Will work on getting part 4 and 5 up tonight. 4 is pretty simple and repetitive of the first 3, but part 5 has a few more techniques done on the lathe. mainly layout die, plunge cutting, boring and large threading.

Part 6 will start to include some milling operations with an index head and will be filmed with my new gopro camera which has a nice wide angle and higher FPS and seems to just generally have better picture.

Yesterday was an expensive and time consuming learning experience or better known as a crappy day, working on the pommels and had 3 different issues that I think spoiled all 4 that I was working on. I'll try to get the rest of my current videos up over the weekend and even include a postmortem video on the pommels and what mistakes I made aside from not swearing loud enough to cover the rage and disappointment, and of course start over on them.

Aw man, that sucks! Thanks for documenting everything though, this can be a learning experience for everyone.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back