Mr Silver Treasure Planet steampunk pirate cyborg arm/moving eyepiece/headpiece

DrWho345

Hello I need some help trying to improve on my cosplay

I cosplay as Mr Silver from Treasure Planet and I have been trying for ages to get it as accurate as possible

If anyone remembers the movie, he is a cyborg and has moving cogs on the side of his head

He also has a cyborg arm

Currently I just have a Full Metal Alchemist arm (looks horrible) and a piece of air conditioning ducting on the top of my arm, people still love it, and I am recognisable but it doesn’t feel right

I have knights gauntlets but they are way to bulky,

I have Aspergers/Autism, I have very poor build skills, and I am very set in my ways/routine wise

I really want to make this work, but don’t know how. There is a person I found on Facebook, his name is Point Ears Creative Studio, who ages ago made this amazing head/eyepiece covered in cogs all moving and it looked amazing, but I certainly don’t have the budget/time or a 3D printer

If anything I try to keep things simple, ideally I am looking for a battery operated small servo, something I can turn on and off with a switch, attach cogs to it and try to replicate it that way, or even go so far as an old erector set, or kids Lego, or a kids robot building kit, or even a model trains wheels, just something that looks like the movie did, and then hope I can find a way of running the cords down my back, and attaching it somehow to the side of my head, not something as complex as a arduino or coding, soldering or anything like that, I don’t have the patience time or money

I also want to try and find a good looking cyborg arm, but don’t know where to start

If anyone remembers the film or could kindly give some advice that would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• D4A1C9D0-FE81-4F74-9DCB-634FC14A0E3B.png
    D4A1C9D0-FE81-4F74-9DCB-634FC14A0E3B.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 245
  • 777EACFB-E45E-433C-800B-7E704878717B.mov
    607.9 KB · Views: 210
As one of a handful of people that grew up enjoying this film, makes me happy to see people going to these kind of efforts.

The headpiece, I honestly don't even know where I'd start.
The arm however, I'd look at making the vast majority of it out of foam - with some plastic PVC tubing for some of the details.

I've attached a few hi-res screenshots below, what you'd probably have to do is blow up one of the side on images (either printing it out on multiple pieces of A4 paper, or getting it blown up at somewhere lile Kinkos) and using that as a base for a blueprint.

Evil Ted Smith does some very good tutorials on Youtube, as does Punished Props (just Youtube search either name, followed by foam armour tutorial).

Now what I will say, is the following.
Foam is cheap, you can pick up garage floormatts for next to nothing - PVC piping at HomeDepot won't cost you a lot either.

When you start getting in to articulated components, you're realistically engineering rather than just constructing something - based on what you said, I'd seriously consider just making a static version first - and then revisiting it when you have time.

Additionaly both objects are relatively ambitious builds (neither would be quick to build, sculpt, or assemble - especially if you don't have a lot of experience, let alone make a moving version).

If you haven't got time or patience however, you're not going to get anywhere with it - moving or static.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 16.34.14.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 16.34.23.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 16.34.54.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 16.35.15.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back