McFly Nike Shootout: Blazer vs Cortez

SeanMcFly

Okay, so Nike has two incredibly close (albeit for different reasons) sneakers to the '85 bruins: the Blazer Low, and the Basic Cortez. Now, judging by these attached pics, I can say the overall shoe shape and sole pattern are closer on the Blazer Lows, but the Cortez have the swoosh and the front stitching that resembles the bruins more. Thoughts?

Blazer Low:

McflyBlazer.png

Cortez:

McflyCortez.png

For reference, Marty's shoes from Part I:

Attachments

• back-to-the-future_0-A.jpg
    back-to-the-future_0-A.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 16,180
  • shot0002 copy.jpg
    shot0002 copy.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 7,460
Blazers... Cortez sole kills the accuracy. Why not get some new release Bruins (not 100% accurate to originals) on EBay though. They are less than $100.

Owning a pair of the 2015 rerelease Bruins, I was not able to find any differences between the screen used Bruins and the newer ones. Is there something I’m not seeing? Also, I would go with blazers as well, since they are basketball shoes (the Bruins were also basketball shoes). The Cortez channels too much of a “Forrest Gump” look in my opinion (not a bad thing, since that movie was great, but it doesn’t work for mid 80s Michael J. Fox). If you want a running shoe for your Mcfly costume, you could always try the Nike Terra TCs:
13727FDB-D16A-4DDD-9E31-B9560532D45D.jpeg
They were featured in some of the alternate posters created for the film:
E370DFF8-2AD5-4A38-807D-499760215CDA.jpeg4BB0854F-A921-42AE-8DD9-762FB28C45CC.jpeg04105394-4556-4476-A906-9CB56DC4DA3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Blazers... Cortez sole kills the accuracy. Why not get some new release Bruins (not 100% accurate to originals) on EBay though. They are less than $100.

I agree on the Blazers. I ended up picking up a pair of new release white and navy blue swoosh Bruins on eBay, but I posted this thread in case anyone wanted to make some McFly style sneakers on NikeID without having to paint the swoosh themselves. My bruins went for $129 because I'm a size 9 and that runs small for men (and is hard to come by lol)

Owning a pair of the 2015 rerelease Bruins, I was not able to find any differences between the screen used Bruins and the newer ones. Is there something I’m not seeing? Also, I would go with blazers as well, since they are basketball shoes (the Bruins were also basketball shoes). The Cortez channels too much of a “Forrest Gump” look in my opinion (not a bad thing, since that movie was great, but it doesn’t work for mid 80s Michael J. Fox). If you want a running shoe for your Mcfly costume, you could always try the Nike Terra XCs:
View attachment 810426
They were featured in some of the alternate posters created for the film:
View attachment 810374View attachment 810375View attachment 810376
It's crazy that he wears those in the posters, because the stitching and sole pattern looks almost EXACTLY like my current McFly sneakers (I got them so I could monogram the back tags like so) :
McflyAir1.jpgMcflyAir3.jpgMcflyAir2.jpg
I'll probably alternate between the bruins and these guys now that I know in some way, these are strangely accurate!

The Searcher , new bruins have quite a few differences to the originals... the toe cap is flared on original one, however on new ones they aren't. The sole is different, the part that says Nike on the bottom is different. The opening for the foot is wider on the new ones and the tongue is made of a different material that is less flexible on new ones. Here are some pictures of the differences-
bruin1.JPGbruin2.JPGbruin3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@The Searcher , new bruins have quite a few differences to the originals... the toe cap is flared on original one, however on new ones they aren't. The sole is different, the part that says Nike on the bottom is different. The opening for the foot is wider on the new ones and the tongue is made of a different material that is less flexible on new ones. Here are some pictures of the differences-
View attachment 810796View attachment 810797View attachment 810798
Thanks for the info! The only catch I see is that even though the older ones are correct, the examples I’ve found for sale are not in very good condition (in other words, I wouldn’t be comfortable wearing shoes that are not only rare, but could fall apart with use). So while I’m really inclined to go for accuracy, I also want something comfortable and fresh. Should I stay with my rereleases or aim for originals?

The Searcher , post some photos of what you are looking at for originals. I wouldn't call bruins particularly rare... and the soles are sewn and glued on. I've worn mine out and the soles are a bit hardened. The re releases are okay, and no one would probably ever know, but I still prefer the originals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t seem to find the photos for the ones I was referencing, but the only ones I’ve seen show up are over $600 USD (another reason I bought the new ones). While they may not be rare, they are definetly expensive (which is why I thought they were rare).

I paid $20 for mine 2 years ago... If I see some cheap I’ll PM you. Don’t always look for the red ones either, you can repaint the swooshes.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back