Wood alternatives

LittleShogun

Hi! So I take commissions to make cosplay props and just recieved two for weapons from RWBY. Crescent Rose and Pennys swords. The catch is theyre going to NYC ComicCon, which explicitly states props can only be made out of foam and cardboard. I was looking to see if anyone had reccomendations on something I can use to provide a stiff backing that won't deteriorate like cardboard does when it gets humid or wet. Thank you for the help!

Hi! So I take commissions to make cosplay props and just recieved two for weapons from RWBY. Crescent Rose and Pennys swords. The catch is theyre going to NYC ComicCon, which explicitly states props can only be made out of foam and cardboard. I was looking to see if anyone had reccomendations on something I can use to provide a stiff backing that won't deteriorate like cardboard does when it gets humid or wet. Thank you for the help!
Try sandwitching Gator board (dense foam core) between outer layers of foam. The outside will be foam, the inside structurally sound. For crescent rose, you'll probably need PVC pipe or wooden dowels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Maybe a cardboard tube with some expanding foam in the middle? Not sure how much strength it'll add, but it could be worth a shot.

Thanks man I'll give it a shot!

I can't use ether. I'm going try and find a super sturdy cardboard tube and see how that goes.

Look around to see if there are any mail tubes that are the right diameter for your project. They're though as nails, especially if you reinforce them, like barbquebutt said.

If you need a really long piece, cut through one lengthwise and insert it inside two others, joining them together with epoxy or some other waterproof glue.

Is the other issue the humidity?

I'd wager that you could find some kind of varnish or top coat that's waterproof, which you can simply spray on as you go. Granted, I've never worked with problems like high humidity, but there has to be ways to shield things from it.

Here's an instructable for cardboard lumber that might help you as well.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboard-Lumber/

Good luck with the builds!

It's not a huge concern, however living in New York, our weather is unpredictable. Your right about the varnish though. I could probably hit it with a nice coat of Polycrylic. Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back