trooper's hero macrobinocular build

trooper

Sr Member
well, so after many years of building these for every one else, I have been building mine....I think it's about time.

here are the cameras I'm using. they will get gutted , torn apart , and cut into pieces. so glad they survived 70 years....for this lol

IMG_5470[1].JPG

so first I take the lenses apart and I clean thoroughly the individual parts. I did not remove the ring with knobs, I left it on and taped it off.
then I scuffed every thing down with a scotch brite, just enough so that there is enough tooth for the paint to stick to. you don't want deep scratches.

then I prepped all the parts with adhesion promoter....great stuff.

IMG_5451[1].JPG

then using Tamiya paint, I airbrushed the first color on. the darker parts I used xf-53 with a little back to make it a little darker.

IMG_5396.JPGIMG_5394.JPGIMG_5395.JPGIMG_5450[2].JPG

the bottom part of the lens that look like a cylinder got a good coat of xf-66, seemed like a perfect match. even when shot in black and white it matched the images of the prop

IMG_5397.JPG

just looking to see what it looks like on the plate :)

IMG_5393.JPG

so now I have the connector plate off of the box. I'm I'm going to use the small tab plate in place of the green tab plate. since it getting screwed to the eumig, no need to waist a very rare plate ;)
first I need to fix it so it will sit flat. lets start by removing the rivets and taking off the chrome spring plate

IMG_5399.JPGIMG_5400.JPGIMG_5401.JPG

next, lets very gently beat this this into submission so that there is no hump in the middle causing it to not sit flat.
with some small effort, and tweaking the plate back into square, task complete !

IMG_5402.JPG IMG_5403.JPG IMG_5405.JPG

so now i just need to mount it on the eumig. after this I took the plat and screwed it back to the connector box, fed the screws back through their holes and added the nuts and cut off the excess screw and added a dab of thread lock so the nuts will not back out....ever !

IMG_5418.JPG IMG_5419.JPG

next , the seagull knob, I want my knob to turn, so I came up with this. by stacking washers inside the center less than .5mm thicker than the center lip, I can take a larger washer for the top and bottom that match the seagulls size inside. this will allow the knob to rotate. the plastic washer is some thing I made from abs plastic since I could not find a correct size washers. also this being black it will help hide it 's self, but it only sticks out the bottom less than 1mm

IMG_5407.JPGIMG_5408.JPGIMG_5472[1].JPG

I sanded down the b&h dial and knob so that it will fit inside, may not be accurate, but it is a functioning knob, and that's cool :)

here is a quick video of where I'm at with the build. I need to catch up on the pics and details later :)

https://youtu.be/_IwRArutkbo

Last edited:
Oh, very nice! Thanks for the details on the paint - it'll help when I assemble mine from your kit. Looking forward to the fun!

Dan

Coming along great! I love the incorporated video camera inside. That worked out slick, especially when you open the hood and it turns on automatically. Nice touch. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks tim :)
it's **magic** poof! smoke fizzle ***hands wave in the air...ooh aahh
nah actually its built into the system, they use a magnet and a electronic magnetic sensitive chip( what ever you call it). magnet gets close to chip, it shuts off, pull the magnet away oooohh....magic :)
I un soldered the 3 prong chip, added wires ran it through the eumig face and glued it to the bottom of the resin transition box aaaaaand wallah.... I'm a genius again :lol
psst don't tell any one, just our secret :)

Coming along great! I love the incorporated video camera inside. That worked out slick, especially when you open the hood and it turns on automatically. Nice touch. [emoji106]

Genius. Love it!! I so want to add that to mine. Oh... I guess I should focus on getting the rest of the base parts first. Always getting ahead of myself. [emoji38]

“The boy has no patience.”

Can’t wait to see what’s next. You got the sound effects working yet? I’m anxious to add that too.

My seagull knob sits higher, like there is a ring inside the knob. I can't remember back but I'm thinking it wasn't removable? Know what I'm talking about?

awesome work, trooper! Can't wait to get back home and start working on mine again. Which video camera did you incorporate in your build? that is awesome!

f900. i found a seller that had a few for $20 other sellers sell them for $120 the seller was alexauction11, you could email him and see if he has another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trooper: I guess the DVR camera would only work with resin lenses, correct? It would just be blurry with 'real' lenses?

that is a real lens I'm using.
I would recommend using the craft store google eyes and cut the clear plastic off and use it for a lens.
some thing like this that you can cut to size. it will not distort the image
http://www.joann.com/4-inch-adhesive-wiggle-eyes-one-pair/13332200.html#sz=36&start=37

also I found that the dvr eye can be adjusted very easily to clarify the focus through the glass of the real lens. I wish I knew this a long time ago...

- - - Updated - - -

but what has to be done is remove all the lenses but the very front lens so that the dvr camera eye will fit. @OdiWan72

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back