Billy Mitchell, from “King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters” Stripped of Records

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/04/13/donkey-kong-champ-billy-mitchell-stripped-of-title

Billy Mitchell was the “bad guy” in this documentary exploring Steve Weibe’s attempts to set the high score on the arcade game “Donkey Kong.”

It it was discovered that his scores were not achieved on an official PCB from an original arcade cabinet, and as such weren’t correctly submitted, and are therefore invalid. He has been stripped of his records and banned from all future submissions.

I searched her here and found a few mentions of this documentary, but didn’t see a thread dedicated to it. If you haven’t seen this, it’s pretty entertaining...and they certainly paint Billy as a villain. It’s interesting to see that he may not have been on the up and up all along.

I remember how he treated Steve Weibe as well, who had done nothing but attempt to be nice to the guy.

I heard that Mitchell had become a part owner of Twin Galaxies and that was why he was always shown preferential treatment and always had his records basically protected.
Over the last couple months there have been a lot of youtubers following the story and going in depth on how Mitchell has been handling the whole situation, and a step by step analysis of his submissions showing how he was cheating both with a MAME emulator and the help of some of his fanboy goons tampering with arcade cabinet boards.

I understand he cheated and a grade A,-hole. loved the documentary. but didn't he have the record back in the 80's?? I thought they showed original newspaper clippings etc. shouldn't those records still stand as they were played on the original cabinets. :confused but I agree he should be stripped of any "currently attained" records.

I understand he cheated and a grade A,-hole. loved the documentary. but didn't he have the record back in the 80's?? I thought they showed original newspaper clippings etc. shouldn't those records still stand as they were played on the original cabinets. :confused but I agree he should be stripped of any "currently attained" records.

From what I understand, the only video footage has been proven to be legit cabinets with modified systems. Photos can't be proven to be legitimate systems or not.

His old records seem to have been beat by legitimate players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mitchell_(video_game_player)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back