Black Series Darth Vader Helmet Mod Thread!

Also, a quick poll about the Vader tusks... Does anyone prefer the two-tone tusk paint scheme of the left-side one being black and the right-side one being aluminum like in TESB...or does everyone prefer both sides of tusks to be aluminum?

What is the best way to remove the original plastic silver mouth tusks; do you twist them off, pull them off, or cut them off? In other words, how are the tusks mounted to the unit?
I'd like to know before I go down the wrong route and regret it. Thanks in advance.

I couldn't shift mine no matter how much pulling and twisting I did. In the end I slid a scalpel blade down behind them and cut them off then drilled out the 'plug'. They are slightly flexible plastic so cut fairly easily.

Also, a quick poll about the Vader tusks... Does anyone prefer the two-tone tusk paint scheme of the left-side one being black and the right-side one being aluminum like in TESB...or does everyone prefer both sides of tusks to be aluminum?

Both aluminium for me!

Amazon.ca had these on sale the other day and I finally snagged one... for all of the bitching and moaning, this thing is pretty awesome I think. It's not small by any means. Now time to mod!

Any recommendations on what type and colour paint for the plastic?

6a398dd71e89cfdfd59dca7f56ace719.jpg

I decided to start tearing mine down for modding. I’m going to tint the lenses red and do the gunmetal paint treatment on the mask and collar. The only difficult part is removing the inside cheek panels. They are glued in by one pin after the screws are removed. They take quite a bit of working back and forth but the glue finally gave up. This allowed me to remove the panels and pull the lenses out. Not 100% necessary but now I can do the paint work without a lot of unnecessary masking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkLyte, one more question please... Are the lenses still pretty optically clear to see thru nicely after you applied the tint?

DarkLyte, one more question please... Are the lenses still pretty optically clear to see thru nicely after you applied the tint?

Not really unfortunately. Since this is just a display piece for me, that wasn’t much of a concern. I mean you can see through them but I wouldn't consider it safe to wear as a costume helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It looks good but I would probably go with a slightly darker shade. But that's just my opinion.

It was hard to grab the color perfectly in the photo but it is darker in person. I might try and grab a can of the Duplicolor Gun Metal that a lot of people use and compare it to the Tamiya.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back