Making V Costume from V for Vendetta

ShatterSt0rm

Hi All,
I'm completely new to cosplay and while looking for resources I was referred here by more than one source for assistance. I've attempted my own searches online but am struggling to come up with great options. I'm hoping you all could point me in great directions. Are there brands, sites, people that the cosplay community swears by that I could be directed to?

I'm attempting to create a movie look-a-like V outfit from the V for Vendetta movie as my basis, but interested in some comic book elements throwbacks as that is the original. Below is a list of things I'd like to assemble to create as authentic as possible costume as possible. I want it to be high quality so it can last a while. Below that are other links to threads I've found on RPF.

Finally, I'd like this to be a modular costume. If you consider V as black clothes with the mask, wig, and a hat, then the clothes can be changed for different regions and times such as Cowboy, Renaissance, Victorian, etc. I've even considered a white colored V outfit.

I'm attempting to create a Costume Vision Board in Evernote, though it's not the best as the mobile app limits the number of pictures that can be attached by phone and that's how I'm taking pictures of the comic for reference. I'm willing to include links to my pictures, Evernote Notes, etc. I don't want to just make this for myself but also pass this on to help others.

Visible Clothes:

• Hat - Looking to acquire movie and comic book styles.
  • Hair/Wig, dark brown - Can be synthetic, but would ultimately like a real hair wig.
  • Mask - I want as movie authentic as possible, high quality. I currently have a high quality Rubies Mask, but the eyes, mouth, and nose are open and not covered in black. I want to resolve that issue.
  • Cape - In the comic it's almost full-length and touching the floor when V is standing still. It covers his entire body and when it is open, I want it to be thick enough and not be see through. In the comic it has a collar, and has an obvious button to hold it together but in the movie, it seems there is no collar and it's held together by something hidden or invisible.
  • Top - What is the name of the style of top he wears? In the comic, one side of the top covered the other and is held together with buttons. In the movie, I have no idea other than there is a line straight down his top. the clasps are unknown and the collar is like a turtle neck that goes all the way up his neck to below the chinline.
  • Bottoms - No sense of style from what I see. No emphasis on pants. Could be any pants, but I don't want them to have a crease like dress pants but high quality.
  • Gloves - All black and leather like. In the movie they go over the top, but in the comics the gloves go under the top's sleeves.
  • Belt - Looks to be about 3 inches thick, leather. Has metal sheaths for the daggers. I'd also like to somehow incorporate the ability to create sounds when the prop/fake daggers are pulled from the belt.
  • Belt buckle - In the comic, it's a simple, regular belt buckle, but in the movie, it's a bit more intricate as it seems to have a simple design on the sides of it. That can be seen in the mistakes post below.
  • Metal dagger sheaths on belt - It's a double V shape maybe about an inch apart from each other.
  • Boots - In the movie they are knee high, plain black boots that seem to have absolutely no sew lines even on the foot. In the comic, it looks like the boots go up over the knee and are bunched up at the top about lower thigh.

Props/Accessories

• Rose - Comic it was a Violet Carson, a real very rare hybrid rose. In the movie, it's called a Scarlet Carson, which doesn't actually exist and is portrayed with a Red 'Grand Prix' Rose.
  • Daggers/Knives - There is a costume version, plastic, by Rubies. They don't look authentic to either the movie or comic. I'm not only interested in real daggers, but know I need fake ones from Cons, so what can I make good looking authentic ones from, silicon? I'd like to be able to create a sound when they are pulled from the belt.
  • Apron - The breakfast scene. I want to make one that has a similar concept. Doesn't have to be the same pattern.
  • Nested Egg in Frying Pan - This would go along with the breakfast scene. Make/Carve it from Foam and paint it to look authentic so it's one piece? Ideas here would be great.
  • Communion Wafer, Poisoned (Only in Graphic Novel) - This was used to kill one of his enemies. This is only in the comic so should only be known by someone that is familiar with the comic not just the movie. I could probably find this really easily or make my own.
  • Delia's Diary, Red - It's not bright red, it's dark and dull. Both comic and movie it has a fold over clasp, though unsure if it locks. It's implied that once found, anyone can read it.
  • Dynamite on chest - Probably the worse idea ever and shouldn't be worn in public, but it is a prop that is used and I would like to have it in my prop set. Anyone have any idea of where to make this? How to design it. It would be purely for looks and not have any function whatsoever.
  • Conductors wand - Anyone have a recommendation, know of a good quiality.
  • Music Stand/Sheet Music - while in the movie, he doesn't have the sheet music and only the conductor's wand, it would still be good to have. Even in the comic, as in the movie, it's the 1812 Overture.
  • Evey's Badge - I have found some images here in other forums for this. I'm curious if anyone knows a place that can print it on the keycard style of object. It can just be plastic and not a real keycard with electronics inside, but being able to carry it around allows for re-enactment.
  • Faceless Mask/MorphMask/Morphhood - Considering this as an option rather than covering holes in mask and concealing the identity of the person in the costume.
  • Shoe Insoles - I heard it's recommended for cosplay boots as they are made for looks more than comfort and walking around a convention would ruin your feet.
  • Socks - Moisture wicking would probably be best. Anyone know of any recommened brands, styles, in the cosplay world?

RPF Links:
V for Vedetta: First time mistakes
V for Vendetta belt - WIP
RPF Search: "V for Vendetta"
RPF Search: "Guy Fawkes"

I didn't realize this had actually posted as I kept getting an error from Google Chrome about bad code in the page. It's been a week and seems no one has responded yet. Haha. Oh well. And the search continues.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back