3d printer

james77

hi guys real new to this game and could do with a bit of adice on what /which 3d printer you all use/prefere ,i have seen some realy good work done ith 3d printers on here ,thank you

I have a Raise 3d N2+ for large objects and will be getting a Form 2 for the small intricate details.

I also have a Raise 3D, but I have the N2, it's the shorter version of the N2 series and prints very well. I also have two resin printers, a From 1+ and a LCD based KLD-200 large format
printer, but I use the Raise 3D the most.

Mind you: The printer is NOT the issue. The files are the issue! the 3D files the you get free from the internet are worth what you pay for them. If you want to print something cool, you need a cool 3D file to print, and if you can't draw it yourself, you will end up paying someone else to draw it for you. That gets expensive! Much more expensive than the printer itself.

BTW, I own the Hatchbox delta printer from Amazon for $1K and it worked perfectly right out of the box. I just plugged it in.

It would be good to know what price range you're looking at. If you have three or four grand to spend on a printer, that's very different from wanting to get something inexpensive to try it out. If you're looking for entry level that is still capable of great quality, I recommend getting the Prusa kit and putting it together to learn how the printer works. I've had mine about a year and it's been great to learn on, very forgiving, but at the same time very capable. I just did some test prints using a .2mm nozzle and .04mm layer height and the results are fantastic.

The point about the files is valid. There are some great free files out there, but I don't think I've ever printed anything without modifying it first to some degree. You'll want to roll your own before too long, if not right from the start.

For larger objects, props etc, I would pick up a Creality Cr-10. It's been pretty reliable for me with out having to do a lot of upgrades or hacking to it.
It's also a good value for the money. Just do some research on who to order from.
I think it's also a good printer to cut your teeth on and learn how to make the adjustments.
Your also going to want a good Slicer to generate the G-code the printer will run.
Ulitmaker Cura is free. I use Simplify 3d, a bit more expensive but I think it's worth it.

For smaller objects, small scale figures and model parts, a SLA printer is your best bet.
They get to be a bit more expensive.

I have a Wanhao I3.
Only cost £300 and was worth every penny, amazing quality prints straight out of the box for the price

bought a anet a8 wich is cheap and not all that good out of the box. printed upgrade parts for it and it worked better. replaced the plexi frames by alu wich i made by hand. than printed better upgraded parts.

lot of work to get it printing perfect prints but it taught me so much about 3d printers it was worth it.

Last edited:
I just ordered my first printer, a Prusa I3 Mk2S, should be here May 1st. Hoping to get good at creating files to print as well as mastering the actual printing process.

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life and not sure if this has been answered. What is the best material for printing props and costume parts?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I just bought a Creality Ender 3 a few weeks ago, it was $220 shipped direct via the creality store on eBay. Great printer if you're on a tight budget and the print quality is awesome. Not compared to a Form 2 of course but for an FDM printer its very impressive so far.
IMG_3241.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back