ROTJ Emperor Palpatine WIP

Whiskey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m getting ready to start my next build.

I feel very fortunate that I was able to pick a Mr Bungle silicone mask.

Obviously, second to a good sculpt of the mask, the robe would be what really helps define the look.

Ive been researching the robe material and think I found a good fabric. I just need to dye it black.

I laid the material with a 1:1 broach over a resized screen shot of the original prop posted on the force.net (taken at the myth and magic tour for comparison).

413849399.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 413849400.jpg
    413849400.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 217
Looks a rather good waffleweave to me ... not square yet slightly rectangular :) Having seen STAR WARS Identities I realised the cape for Lando Calrissian is the same fabric ... in blue o_O

Lando-Calrissian_a679fe1e_zpsnxrnlqah.JPG

Chaïm

Last edited:
Now before you cut your precious fabric ... I would like you to notice the double layers in the Emperor's hood which extend to halfway his head (about 15 cm from the front, see top 3 arrows) and also calculate a lot of fabric for said hood to get the proper appearance :

EmperorRobe01.JPG

Most replica robes I've seen over the years lack the double thicker layers hence always seem to result in a not-quite-right appearance when put on. Whereas the created bump is quite visible from any angle when the hood is draped right :

EmperorRobe02.JPG

Looking forward to your progress :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
I did see that and then it dawned on me....I think there’s a formable built-in cap/visor hemed within the the two layers in there.

I was just watching a few emperor scenes in ROTJ and noticed that when he turns his head center to right to say “fire at will commander”
413851208.jpg
and center to left to respond to Luke’s comment of his weakness.

413851207.jpg
the hood would maintain its stability. Much like the nazgul in LOTRs, but with a slope (in all emperor scenes including the images you posted)

413851211.jpg

No cap ... it's the way the facial make-up is applied and then Ian McDiarmid's own hair
underneath which adds to the stability of the double layered hood :

Emperor%20ROTJ_zpsvcgc6b5n.JPG

Chaïm

Last edited:
Sorry, I was referring to the lip. It’s the same every time.
413851606.jpg

This is image does not have the prosthetics
413851607.jpg

I’m wondering if something like a bra wire was attached within the hem to hold its shape

I just realised you were talking about the brim of the hood ... in my last picture the hood is down and eventhough it's possible there's a wire inside the hem I sincerely doubt it ...

10354147_10154016183639004_9011333168006507946_n_zpshabelvgz.JPG

... having at least 3 layers of the fabric makes it quite firm to hold that shape like it does, don't you think? Since you have the fabric at hand perhaps you could do a test? It's quite a challenge to figure out how that hood was made, isn't it?

Chaïm

Last edited:
Hi Whiskey

Did you ever finish your Emperor Palpatine robe?

I read that the original fabric was stonewashed with black dye which gave it a more used appearance ... also here's a great picture I found of the layers in the hood when George Lucas posed in the original robe :

Emperor George Hood.jpg

Also the sleeves are quite long and pointy, which is mostly overlooked by vendors selling robes :

013_zpstyj7xxll.jpg~original.jpg

37129015_200165520603739_6482342780633874432_n.jpg

Emperor Robe.jpg

I hope you will finish your WIP ... your fabric is the closest I have seen ... if you need more pictures or info let me know, okay?

Chaïm

P.S. I updated all my pics now without the PB logo ;)

I was told a great trick years ago to get waffleweave pattern like the real cloak is to wash it in cold water and then hang dry. It constricts back but the weight helps pull it and stretch the pattern to create that rectangular look of the pattern.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back