BSG Landram possibility?

whb64

Has anyone ever done this, and if not what do you guys think of the possibility/potential of kit bashing this into a landram?

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...00082408/product.php?kw=M4,High,Speed,Tractor

HBB00082408_1_l.jpg

The Landram was created from a Thiokol Imp snow machine crawler. So the tracks are totally wrong. I would look for a tank that has a similar track and wheel system and the Thiokol. Perhaps there is a company that makes scale models of snow crawlers.

TazMan2000

I had a resin kit of the LandRam in 1:32 in 2008, produced by Mark Bradley in a limited run. I never had a chance to build it and had to sell it off (along with a bunch of other great stuff) to pay some medical bills.

I had a resin kit of the LandRam in 1:32 in 2008, produced by Mark Bradley in a limited run. I never had a chance to build it and had to sell it off (along with a bunch of other great stuff) to pay some medical bills.

I hope you're doing/feeling better. Sorry to hear you had to sell it.

The tracks are way off, I guess I just saw the overall shape and thought maybe something could be done. I do have the paper model download, but never tried it because I didn't think it would look that good with just printed details. Maybe that can be used as a template to scratch build one out of styrene. I'll be honestly with myself though, if I have to try to scratch build one from ground zero it's probably not going to happen.

As I recall the LiS Chariot is a Thiokol Spryte, it has too many bogies, by one pair. There is a paper model of the BSG LandRam, designed by a member of this form. It would be a great staring point for a build.

Last edited:
As I recall the LiS Chariot is a Thiokol Spryte, it has too many bogies, by one pair. There is a paper model of the BSG LandRam, designed by a member of this form. It would be a great staring point for a build.
The paper model has the same amount of bogies. Both the Chariot and the LandRam have 5 large wheels and 1 small one on each side so the Moebius kit should make it very easy. Even if the Chariot has one axle, and therefore one bogie on each side too many, the Moebius makes it easy as you only need to reduce the make up by one bogie.

The pictures I've seen of the Landram from the show, show that there are the same number of bogies, 5 plus the drive hub. I've thought many time of doing a scratch built of the Landram using one of my many Chariot kit but never seem to have the time....

I have the paper kit but never made a paper model. The one thing I didn't like was the tracks and bogies, but for paper I guess they look okay.

I didn't think about the Chariot tracks, they do look a lot closer, but isn't that kit a but expensive for something like this? I'll have to look it up. The paper kit does look like a good starting point to get the basic shape and the printed details on the download I have do look pretty nice. It wouldn't be too hard to use the image details to build up a kit. I guess when I saw that model in the first post it was the basic look that made me think about the landram.

Once you get the Tracks settled out the LandRam is a great model to scratch build- it has a very basic flat plated shape and you can use scaled papercraft parts for the cutting template. There are two models of the LandRam- a general recon/transport and one with an upper AA turret which IIRC is a tapered hexagonal unit set into it's bed.

I have the paper kit but never made a paper model. The one thing I didn't like was the tracks and bogies, but for paper I guess they look okay.
Yo, sorry for the late reply. I am the creator of the paper model and yes, the tracks were a concession. I did not want to scare off beginners so I kept them simple. In addition, this was the first tracked vehicle I created and that was a fool-proof way of assembly. Feel free to improve it. :)

The model was created mostly from photos of the real prop. I did my best to match the on-screen vehicle which was not easy, because its look shifted from a Hummer to a VW depending on the lens used. Later I found Mark's great resin model and was blown away by how close the dimensions and angles of our models matched. So I thought my achievement was not too bad. ;) However, there is one error: The gunner shield. I designed it in a way to be attached to the gunner station whereas the original was attached to the turret and moved alongside with it. I'm about to correct this issue. Ah well. There are quite a few fans who used the paper plans to build a plastic version and all of them turned out great. :)

Yo, sorry for the late reply. I am the creator of the paper model and yes, the tracks were a concession. I did not want to scare off beginners so I kept them simple. In addition, this was the first tracked vehicle I created and that was a fool-proof way of assembly. Feel free to improve it. :)

The model was created mostly from photos of the real prop. I did my best to match the on-screen vehicle which was not easy, because its look shifted from a Hummer to a VW depending on the lens used. Later I found Mark's great resin model and was blown away by how close the dimensions and angles of our models matched. So I thought my achievement was not too bad. ;) However, there is one error: The gunner shield. I designed it in a way to be attached to the gunner station whereas the original was attached to the turret and moved alongside with it. I'm about to correct this issue. Ah well. There are quite a few fans who used the paper plans to build a plastic version and all of them turned out great. :)
I certainly hope I didn't offend you. As I said the paper print does look really good, the body and detail are outstanding. I was trying to think of a way to build something up as a plastic build... and I certainly would not be able to improve on the design and work you did :)

I'm not offended at all. On the contrary, I love seeing my kits being built by the fans. A friend of mine developed a much more authentic looking tread system but more details means more work. ;) I'm looking forward to your build as well. If you need straight-on views / renders or anything that does not come with the kit please feel free to PM me; I'll see what I can do to help. Have fun and enjoy! :)

The LiS Chariot would make an easy conversion if you want it in 1/24 scale. However the tracks are different. If you want it in a larger scale you can go here Fully Functional RC Snowplow

As you see the tracks on the LandRam have alternating offset "paddles" to help the Thiokol Imp move through the snow as it was designed for.
17700200fa6616211de0731663e9c648.jpg

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back