Silent Running Drones huey lewy and dewy 3d printed

polymodder

Hello all

I'm a new member and I'm starting a new project building the iconic huey lewy and dewy drones from silent running, I have been combing through the blueray creating hd grabs I had no idea they had so many details and variations between them. I will be documenting the build here. I will be modelling in c4d and printing on a Prusa i3 mk3. I will be focusing on building them as a kit to assemble to optimise the printing of all the elements and reduce finishing needed. Any experience welcome and any reference not from the film or readily available on google would be most welcome.

Thanks for the plug but they seam a little basic especially around the feet and the proportions look a little off. Also some details are a bit off. I have reference from the original not copies of copies but thanks for your interest :D

Hi yes I have seen these and they are very good I can see some small errors and I'm hoping to equal or surpass these his full size one is crazy though!

Here are the first workings of the legs assembly with articulation in the ankle and hip I guess. I may print some of the rubber elements in flexible filament. I will add the dots on the toes after to make post processing easier.
Leg 003.jpgLeg 002.jpgLeg 001.jpg

Hello all

I'm a new member and I'm starting a new project building the iconic huey lewy and dewy drones from silent running, I have been combing through the blueray creating hd grabs I had no idea they had so many details and variations between them. I will be documenting the build here. I will be modelling in c4d and printing on a Prusa i3 mk3. I will be focusing on building them as a kit to assemble to optimise the printing of all the elements and reduce finishing needed. Any experience welcome and any reference not from the film or readily available on google would be most welcome.
1:1 scale?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Hello all

I’m working on a scaled version in Fusion 360. I’m about 90% done.

It has some articulation I’ve animated the toes, side vent, and face with servos and an Arduino

95a6dcd708e34c8e791f89b8bf924234.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been dying for someone to do these in 1/6 scale...seems like I've seen every scale but 1/6. Some guy on facebook did do a 1/6 set that was very affordable but they were very, very simplified and inaccurate...

any idea what size that would be I have not found any reliable scale drawings? my my current size is 16cm across this is the smallest i can make it for the resolution I want from the printer.

I scratch-built a Dewey a while ago, It's hard to find comprehensive reference, although I did find some plans online that were close (here: Silent Running Drone Info). The Blu Ray was good reference.

The feet there are pretty good. If you take a look at some stills, you'll see there are some rivets that sit below the knuckle level.

An issue you will run into is that they obviously had several suits for each drone, and the details varied a little from suit to suit. Therefore, you can make some executive decisions :)

Last edited:
I scratch-built a 1/6 Dewey a while ago, It's hard to find comprehensive reference, although I did find some plans online that were close (here: http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com/pub/old/Drones/DroneInfo.html). The Blu Ray was good reference.

The feet there are pretty good. If you take a look at some stills, you'll see there are some rivets that sit below the knuckle level.

An issue you will run into is that they obviously had several suits for each drone, and the details varied a little from suit to suit. Therefore, you can make some executive decisions :)

Yes I saw this but it doesn't say what they are based on any ideas anyone?

I really like that articulation points that you designed. Years ago I decided to make my own set of drones in 1:18 scale by scaling a paper model. I have about 10 of these with different numbers and colors, all paper. I would love a really good plastic set, it 1:18. After printing, it takes about 10 hours to build each one.

20170410_192340.jpgWP_20160919_16_54_22_Pro.jpg

I really like that articulation points that you designed. Years ago I decided to make my own set of drones in 1:18 scale by scaling a paper model. I have about 10 of these with different numbers and colors, all paper. I would love a really good plastic set, it 1:18. After printing, it takes about 10 hours to build each one.

quite a collection you have a real robot fan! 1:18 is a bit too small for a 3d printers resolution currently i am working at 1:6 any details you have un covered?

View attachment 810627View attachment 810626

quite a collection you have a real robot fan! 1:18 is a bit too small for a 3d printers resolution currently i am working at 1:6 any details you have un covered?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back