Anyone Ever Made a Front-Opening Iron Man Suit?

It's the landing gear itself that is triggering the doors. Very humid weather here and I may be missing something lol.

Yes, the landing gear itself triggers the doors.

In the suit you'd be doing the landing gear's job with your own arm. Just watch the video and think about your own arm there instead of the landing gear, and you've got the idea. All the mechanisms would work the exact same way.

I decided that it was about time I contributed something to this thread and so I produced this design for my simple knee-locking mechanism:
48b6d51ce8d6137070b5e92bed12e71d.jpg

This is nothing more than a basic pulley system: at the back of each shin and thigh is a “track” which is used to guide a rod (metal, plastic, wood - anything strong enough to support the knees and the weight of the suit without breaking) and hold it in place. Behind each hip pod will be a reel of string/fishing wire that is attached to the top of the locking rod. Therefore, when the hip pod is rotated, the reel winds the string and pulls the rod upwards until it sits between both guides - preventing the knee joint from moving and locking the legs into place. At the bottom end of the rod would be a counter-weight so that when the hip pod is rotated in the opposite direction the wire slackens and the rod drops into the shin.

What do you think? I already have my Mk.42 shin piece so I may build the thigh to test my idea and see how well it would work for locking the knees.

-- 14th

At the bottom end of the rod would be a counter-weight so that when the hip pod is rotated in the opposite direction the wire slackens and the rod drops into the shin.

I like that idea. I think the weight around your calf would be easier to walk with, and the overall design would result in a lower center of gravity than something driven down from the top - and a lower center of gravity is going to be very helpful. Plus the knee doesn't really bend left or right, so it'd be a pretty straight shot to line up, especially if you have a knee joint already holding the thigh and the shin together.

I like this idea as well and agree with DrCyanide that having the weight towards the bottom will be better. I also love the idea of using the hip pods as the pulley to engage the legs to lock up.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back